sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Daily Positional Breakdown: Part 1: QB

I will be starting a daily (hopefully, if not, than every 2 days, I've been busy with some exams!) comparison between the positional breakdown from 2011-2012 and which I believe has the upgrade.

2011 - QB's

Sam Bradford:
    10 GS, 191 completions, 357 attempts, 53.3 completion%, 2,164 yards, 6 TD's, 6 INT's, 6.1avg

A.J Feeley:
    3 GS, 53 completions, 97 attempts, 54.6 completion%, 548 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's, 5.6 avg

Kellen Clemens:
    3 GS, 48 completions, 91 attempts, 52.7 completion%, 546 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT, 6.0 avg

Our QB play last year was extremely weak as we all know. That can be credited to our often injured and struggling offensive line, our WR's inability to create separation, and our OC's inability to use his brain. Even when Bradford was in the line-up, things went terribly wrong. Our play at the quarterback position really couldn't have gone worse, especially when Bradford was sidelined with his high ankle sprain.

2012 - Projections

Sam Bradford
    16 GS, 382 completions, 579 attempts, 65.9 completion%, 3,966 yards, 29 TD's, 9 INT's, 9.9avg

I see Bradford starting all 16 games next year. I hope our offensive line can hold up next year and create space and time for Bradford to operate. I see us using a lot of a 1-2 punch in the backfield. Watch out for passes across the middle and seams to Lance Kendricks. I believe he is in for a HUGE year. Something to expect? Dustin Keller had over a 3 year span an average of 55 receptions, 675 yards, and 4 TD's. Kendricks is 5x the blocker Keller is, while still being a better receiving threat in my opinion.

"The Edge"

I believe the upcoming QB position has the edge when compared. It really can't go as bad as it did last season. We add a few talented weapons for Bradford (Quick, Givens, Smith, Pead, Amendola returning) and our offensive line will improve tons with Saffold and Smith returning to health and the addition of Scott Wells.

Stay tuned for the RB Positional breakdown!
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -06-23-2012 at 08:59 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Daily Positional Breakdown: Part 1: QB

Woah...im an optimistic fan as well but those projections for Bradford coming true are hard to imagine

Bradford has the ability to be a top 5 quarterback but theres to much instability for it to come to fruition this year.

We have a young, raw, unproven group of recievers besides Amendola, who isnt a No. 1. Our o-line is questionable at best until they show us any differently(I think theyll perform more like the 2010 line than the atrocious 2011 line). Also, with yet another installation of a brand spankin new offense, it'll be hard for Bradford to hit those numbers.

Ill go a little bit more conservative with a projection, but still an optimistic one nonetheless.

Bradford- 3600yds 24tds 9ints

Still a very solid season! The upgraded defense will certaintly keep us in games longer and Bradford will throw quite a bit more, but we will still rely heavily on Jackson and Pead.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -06-19-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think this year's unit represents an upgraded one for two main reasons: health and scheme. Bradford is going to be healthy in 2012 (he's not quite there yet based on the articles I read, sure am glad he played on that ankle at the end of last year, but I digress), so it's relatively safe to assume that he's going to rebound to some degree from the last couple of games we saw him in. Furthermore, he's going to have an entire offseason to get familiar with a scheme that incorporates some of the things he had success with as a rookie. Whether the Rams have put enough pieces around him for him to be successful - and whether he takes the necessary steps individually to attain that success - remains to be seen, but improved health and a better schematic fit will surely help the situation.

As for your projection...

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    2012 - Projections

Sam Bradford
    16 GS, 382 completions, 579 attempts, 65.9 completion%, 3,800 yards, 34 TD's, 9 INT's, 9.9avg
    My own projections would be a bit more conservative, as I don't expect Bradford's TD percentage, completion percentage, and QB rating to skyrocket as much as you do.

This will still likely be more of a conservative offense than it will be an aggressive one, and the talent the Rams have infused themselves with at skill positions on offense remains unproven. Not to mention the question marks on the offensive line.

As an optimist by nature, I'm expecting something more along the lines of 317/526 for 3328 yards, 22 TDs, 14 INTs. I believe that would give him a modest 81.5 QB rating, which would still represent a fair improvement upon previous seasons and, statistically, would put him around the middle of the pack when compared to his peers.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As an optimist by nature, I'm expecting something more along the lines of 317/526 for 3328 yards, 22 TDs, 14 INTs. I believe that would give him a modest 81.5 QB rating, which would still represent a fair improvement upon previous seasons and, statistically, would put him around the middle of the pack when compared to his peers.
    ......at which point, the Gimme-now crowd will expect the Rams to trade him for no less than 5 first round picks, so we can go get a new QB.

I ain't saying you're wrong. Quite the opposite.

But that stat line won't be good enough for some.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think this year's unit represents an upgraded one for two main reasons: health and scheme.

This will still likely be more of a conservative offense than it will be an aggressive one, and the talent the Rams have infused themselves with at skill positions on offense remains unproven. Not to mention the question marks on the offensive line.
    Agreed! My hope is that Shotty will predicate much of his offensive play calling on what opposing defenses give him on a "per game" basis. I agree we will be conservative, or put another way, play ball control. Defenses are likely to stack the box and dare us to throw early on. Shotty will have to design plays to frustrate this strategy as much as possible. Lance Kendricks could be a much bigger factor here along with Hoomanawanui if he's healthy. Another player that could help is Givens. I'm hoping that Sam can spend enough time throwing to him in camp to where they get get in sync on the deep ball. If we can scorch a D early, once or twice, it will help keep things honest.

I'm not making any predictions stat wise, but I am expecting consistently better play. A big reason for this optimism is vastly improved coaching. I think the days of seeing our coaching staff appear flummoxed during games will diminish significantly.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

These are quite optimistic numbers. My belief in the improvement of the offensive line (due to Boudreau), the improvement of our WR corps (Givens, Quick, Amendola, Smith), the improvement of an OC (Schottenheimer), and the health of our team (Saffold, Smith, Bradford, Jackson, Amendola, Defense to get the ball back) will all be huge factors in Sams growth towards his 3rd season. Lets hope for the best!

THE DREAM TEAM

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

My belief that I will meet and score with a super model (here in Fargo) is about as realistic. I will hope for the best, yet remain objective and grounded in reality. Good times!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Trevor is offline Registered User

I don't see Sam Bradford throwing 34 TDs. Thats a stretch of about a mile. Sam Bradford, if you're reading this, prove me wrong!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I dont see 34 TD's only because I do not believe this roster has the YAC playmakers to put up that big number. However, I do believe that the Rams will have a hefty RB TD(30) total to go along with a modest QB TD (20-25).

GO Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    However, I do believe that the Rams will have a hefty RB TD(30) total to go along with a modest QB TD (20-25).
    They'd be only the fifth team in the last decade to accomplish that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Yeah I got a little carried away. I really meant it to be rushing TD's to include QB sneak and full back. But the total is probably a little too high.

The total of touchdowns with extra points mean the Rams would average over 21 points a game and this does not include field goal so the average should be much higher. Not sure if the Rams will have that much production from its offense. So here are some much more realistic numbers.

Rushing TD's 20
    Passing TD's 19

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I don't see Bradford throwing 34 tds, yet! I would decrease the yardage to maybe 3500 in my projections. Also, I think Bradford will have the capability of having a very nice TD:INT ratio though. I am not sure about that almost 4-1 average you have there. But I can see him having like 20 TD - 7/8 INT season ... We still don't know what to expect from the receiving squad as well