Lance Kendricks:
    15 GS, 28 receptions, 352 yards, 0 TD, 1 Fum

Michael Hoomanawanui:
    8 GS, 7 receptions, 83 yards, 0 TD

Matthew Mulligan (With Jets):
    9 GS, 5 receptions, 58 yards, 0 TD

Billy Bajema:
    12 GS, 9 receptions, 71 yards, 0 TD

After actually searching up all these stats only now did I realize we didn't have a SINGLE TD from our TE's. After the pre-season we all expected Kendricks to go off. Hooman was supposed to stay healthy and produce like he has the potential to. Bajema was primarily a blocker and didn't see much receiving action. Our TE play cannot get worse this upcoming year.

2012 - Projections

Lance Kendricks:
    14 GS, 52 receptions, 707 yards, 5 TD's

Michael Hoomanawanui:
    12 GS, 31 receptions, 156 yards, 2 TD's

Matthew Mulligan:
    2 GS, 4 receptions, 18 yards, 0 TD's

DeAngelo Peterson:
    0 GS, 10 receptions, 42 yards, 0 TD's

As you can see I have our TE play rising significantly. If Michael Hoomanawanui can stay healthy, he's got tons of potential as we seen in his first year. He's not huge, the strongest, or the fastest, but he gets open, finds holes, and makes nice catches. Kendricks has unbelievable potential too. He is surprisingly fast and strong. He can be a Rob Gronkowski caliber player if he gets his routes polished, and fixes the drops. In the pre-season he looked like a top 5 TE. Mulligan is a blocking TE, replaces Bajema. Peterson is a rookie from LSU who won't get too much playing time (hopefully).

"The Edge"

I believe the 2012 TE roster has a huge edge. This is because all the players at the position we have are extremely young. With another year of experience under their belt and a full off-season with the team the play can only get better. I look to see Kendricks break-through this year. I hope Hoomanawanui can stay healthy as well because his potential is great.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -06-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Daily Positional Breakdown: Part 3: TE

I have high hopes for Kendricks, but to call him Gronkowski caliber seems a bit much. Gronk has set NFL records his first two seasons, lets just hope Kendricks can hold onto the ball.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Im also expecting Kendrick's to improve over last year. The big question is just how much.? Here is another player who was badly affected because of the lockout. I suspect with a full off-season to get comfortable with the playbook, and the experience gained from last year. It should go a long way in helping Kendricks, to calm down this year on gameday.
    The physical talent is their with Lance Kendricks.! So I feel it's just a matter of time before he breaks out. I wouldn't put him in the same company as Gronk though Sosa.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rob Gronkowski had 17 TD last year, the Rams has 0 from the TE position.

Schottenheimer, formerly of the New York Jets and now the Rams' new offensive coordinator, brought up Kendricks first when a reporter asked about the tight ends in general. This was during the team's recent mandatory minicamp:

“I know one thing, starting with Lance, we really liked Lance back in New York when we looked at him. He's got a chance to be a terrific all-around player."

Schottenheimer also mentioned DeAngelo Peterson, Jamie Childers and Mike Hoomanawanui as young players with potential.
    We have to start getting production from our TE, period. As fans we all seem to be caught up in how fast Quick and Givens can get up too speed, but we should be asking when and who will breakout as our TE's.

by Greg Cosell One thing that kept coming up was the tight end position and its impact on the game. The tight end is now a movable chess piece, a gifted athlete who can align anywhere in the formation. We have come a long way since the 1995 draft, when the two tight ends taken in the first round, Kyle Brady with the ninth overall pick and Mark Bruener with the 27th, were primarily blockers in the run game. As we move toward the 2012 season, the tight end has evolved into a dynamic receiving threat who can threaten all levels of the defense and cause all kinds of coverage problems.
    I like Jamie Childers, from what I have read he has nice hands and catches everything. UDFA don't sign 3 year deals usually but he did.

Former Coastal Carolina tight end Jamie Childers has agreed to a three year deal with the Saint Louis Rams. The undrafted free agent signed the deal on Wednesday morning, according to his agents Justin and Joel Turner. Childers was lined up for tryouts with the Carolina Panthers and New York Giants, but will now try and make the Rams roster.

Nice series Sosa

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

What I meant by the Gronk caliber type of player is that one day I do believe Kendricks will start to grab 90+ receptions and 1,000+ yards. I don't actually mean the next upcoming season I expect to get 17 TD's from Kendricks .

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

It's worth noting that, since 1920, only seven tight ends have ever caught 90+ receptions in a season.

Those seven players (Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, Jimmy Graham, Ben Coates, Jason Witten, Rob Gronkowski, and Todd Christensen) did so a cumulative total of 13 times, ten of which have happened since 2000. In fact, two of those happened just last year (Graham & Gronk), though it's probably also worth noting that the quarterbacks throwing to them both attempted over 600 pass attempts on the season, and I'm not sure I see that happening as long as Jeff Fisher is coaching the Rams (the highest number of attempts a QB has thrown under Fisher is, I believe, 492).

We know the league is trending towards using tight ends more in the passing game, so in the next 3-5 years, we may see some names added to that list, but that's still a pretty lofty number to achieve at any point in a tight end's career. One thing that works in Kendricks's advantage is the lack of established weapons on the outside, though one could easily argue that he hasn't exactly established himself as a safety valve to take advantage of that, either.

Hopefully he does, because Sam definitely enjoyed success looking to the tight end during his college years and would probably love to repeat that kind of production as a pro.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's worth noting that, since 1920, only seven tight ends have ever caught 90+ receptions in a season.

Those seven players (Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, Jimmy Graham, Ben Coates, Jason Witten, Rob Gronkowski, and Todd Christensen) did so a cumulative total of 13 times, ten of which have happened since 2000.
    I guess I expected to see Shannon Sharpe on that list. Odd that he's not there. But as I look it up, he hit 80+ in 3 seasons, but never 90.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

stevenavm is offline Registered User

I don't see Bajema making the team if Kendricks and Hoomanawanui produce in camp. Mulligan is a Fish/Snead signing(right?) and is here for a reason. Here's to hoping Kendricks lives up the potential he showed in the preseason last year.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenavm View Post
    I don't see Bajema making the team if Kendricks and Hoomanawanui produce in camp. Mulligan is a Fish/Snead signing(right?) and is here for a reason. Here's to hoping Kendricks lives up the potential he showed in the preseason last year.
    Yes Mulligan is a Snead/Fisher/Schottenheimer signing. Thats why I have him instead of Bajema.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Great positional breakdowns Sosa!

Need help please to 'define' Rams TEs list for 1st week of the regular season...

RAMS TEs (black = on current roster; BLUE = to make team by Sept.?)

* Jamie Childers (24), rookie: 6-5", 230 lbs / Coastal Carolina

* Eldridge Brodie (25), 3 years: 6-5", 265 lbs / Oklahoma

* Cory Harkey (22), rookie: 6-4", 260 lbs / UCLA

* Michael Hoomanawanui (24), 3 years: 6-4", 263 lbs / Illinois

* Lance Kendricks (24), 2 years: 6-3, 250 lbs / Wisconsin

* Mike McNeill (24), 2 years: 6-4, 235 lbs / Nebraska

* Matthew Mulligan (27), 4 years: 6-4", 265 lbs / Maine

* Deangelo Peterson (23), rookie: 6-4", 243 lbs / LSU

Your selections?
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Great positional breakdowns Sosa!

Need help please to 'define' Rams TEs list for 1st week of the regular season...

RAMS TEs (black = on current roster; BLUE = to make team by Sept.?)

* Jamie Childers (24), rookie: 6-5", 230 lbs / Coastal Carolina

* Eldridge Brodie (25), 3 years: 6-5", 265 lbs / Oklahoma

* Cory Harkey (22), rookie: 6-4", 260 lbs / UCLA

* Michael Hoomanawanui (24), 3 years: 6-4", 263 lbs / Illinois

* Lance Kendricks (24), 2 years: 6-3, 250 lbs / Wisconsin

* Mike McNeill (24), 2 years: 6-4, 235 lbs / Nebraska

* Matthew Mulligan (27), 4 years: 6-4", 265 lbs / Maine

* Deangelo Peterson (23), rookie: 6-4", 243 lbs / LSU

Your selections?
    Hard to choose!

I'd go Kendricks, Hoomanawanui, Brodie Eldridge or Matthew Mulligan (we need 1 blocking TE), and DeAngelo Peterson.

THE DREAM TEAM