sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Daily Positional Breakdown: Part 5: DE

2011 - DE's

Chris Long:
    16 G, 37 tackles, 13.0 sacks, 1 FF, 0 INT, 2 PDF

James Hall:
    15 G, 50 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT, 2 PDF

Robert Quinn:
    15 G, 23 tackles, 5.0 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT, 2 PDF, 3 blocked punts (Had to put it in!)

Eugene Sims:
    16 G, 19 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT, 1 PDF

C.J Ah You:
    16 G, 6 tackles, 1.0 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT, 0 PDF

Defensive end was actually one of our strongest units last year. Chris Long had another breakout year in which he should have made the Pro Bowl but got snubbed. James Hall continued with his terrific play, even though he split time he still had a good impact. Rookie Robert Quinn only scratched the surface of his potential and had a big impact last year. He had a lot of sacks and blocked punts for only playing in limited action. Sims and Ah You didn't get much playing time and would rotate in here or there.

2012 - Projections

Chris Long:
    16 G, 48 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 1 FF, 0 INT, 3 PDF

Robert Quinn:
    16 G, 25 tackles, 9.0 sacks, 0 FF, 1 INT, 2 PDF

William Hayes:
    16 G, 29 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF, 0 INT, 1 PDF

Eugene Sims:
    16 G, 11 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT, 1 PDF

Jamar Jarrett(or other DE):
    16 G, 7 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 0 INT, 0 PDF

The defensive end play will be very equal to last year, it may even drop. It depends on the progression of Robert Quinn and the success of William Hayes who may be a "secret gem" as we seen in another thread. Quinn who I think has the potential to be one of the best pass rushers in the NFL must continue to practice and learn. Some think he will reach double digit sacks this year, I kept it lower because we can't expect the world from him, even though in a few years I believe he will be totaling 12-15 sacks regularly. Long we already know what to expect from him. Hayes is the key. He will come in and refresh our starters. He will play a similar role to what James Hall played last year, except he will come off the bench. He can stop the run, perhaps chip in a few sacks.

"The Edge"

I believe the 2012 DE's have the edge. Their numbers may not be as good as the 2011 DE's, but thats because of the heavily increased play from the DT's. They will free up a lot of space for the DE's to work with. I'm excited to see how good Long and Quinn will be with 2 monsters at the DT position.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -06-23-2012 at 06:45 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Daily Positional Breakdown: Part 5: DE

I LOVE our potential at the DE position. Long was robbed of a Pro Bowl apperance last year and Quinn has shown a ton of promise (on special teams as well!). Not too sure about the depth, although I know Sims is a fantastic athlete and Hayes actually took over for a benched Jevon Kearse in 2008 and started ever since, so Fisher obviously sees something in him (both back in 2008 and now).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Chris Long can maintain his status as a double-digit sack artist, and Robert Quinn can continue to progress into the dangerous pass rusher he has the potential to become, then this could be a very hazardous defensive line for opposing quarterbacks to face, especially now that the Rams appear to have some quality players lined up on the inside as well who can help prevent quarterbacks from consistently stepping up into the pocket to avoid our edge rushers.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

IMO, Quinn gets double-digits this season.

If Aldon Smith, a player who I think is inferior to Quinn, can gain 14 sacks playing as a rotational player, I think Quinn can break double-digits as he has showed that he can get several sacks just using his athletic ability from last year.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    IMO, Quinn gets double-digits this season.

If Aldon Smith, a player who I think is inferior to Quinn, can gain 14 sacks playing as a rotational player, I think Quinn can break double-digits as he has showed that he can get several sacks just using his athletic ability from last year.
    I hope so! He definitely has the ability and I can easily see him in the double digits.
    RockinRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hope so! He definitely has the ability and I can easily see him in the double digits.
    I will be rooting for him. Honestly, it makes me envious and irritated to see Aldon Smith have a great year statistically, but have us seldom use Quinn last year.

I am ready for us to fully utilize Quinn's talent and skills and have him unleash havoc.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

I would bet that Quinn gets double digit sacks this year.

I would honestly give him a 30%-40% chance of beating out Long for team leader in sacks.

The guys just gifted plain and simple. He'll be a premiere pass rusher this year and many more to come.