Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Damione Lewis - End the Experiment

D. Lewis has 8 tackles and Zero Sacks.

Andy McCollum Center - has 3 tackles - plays offense.

This guy just doesn't produce .. he has a FAT SALARY and he plays invisible. He just doesn't produce. The Scams over Damione move on in January.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Damione Lewis - End the Experiment

Tony, on this one, you will get your wish. barring a massive paycut, he will be gone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I'm always astonished by how little he does.

Look at Brandon Green, Free agent - minimal salary -
    in the few plays he gets - he's got some sacks, got two stuffs behind the line for 5 yards lost.

My point, we could pick somone up for next to nothing that will produce more than D-Lew the Heralded bust.

Rambos is offline Registered User

We will need some cash for our high draft pick.

barring some drastic turn of events between now and the end of the year, which at this point would take a miracle, i have to agree with tony and call lewis a bust.

That bust word is overused, but in lewis' case it fits. we traded trent green to get him, he was the #12 overall pick and at best, he is a below average starter and really just a backup. Nothing personal, the injuries were a part of it for sure, but proving the rule once again, when you draft for need, you are asking for it. He was damaged goods when we took him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He was a Lovie pick. In fact, the comparison I remember hearing on D-Lew was that of a "poor man's Sapp".....Sapp of course, who Lovie coached in Tampa. Lovie overestimated the kid's abilities, a draft day decision maker bought the hype and we spent the #12 pick on him. I still say he could go to a 3-4 team and do well as a DE, but it ain't gonna happen here.

See you around D-Lew.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Big Bison, i am not a lovie defender, but i thought at the time that everyone agreed we were desparate for the best available defensive tackle and he was it. who did we pass on to take lewis at that position. My prior point was that when you draft for need you are asking for it and we desparately needed defensive tackle help. We think the defense is bad now, remember 2000?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Big Bison, i am not a lovie defender, but i thought at the time that everyone agreed we were desparate for the best available defensive tackle and he was it. who did we pass on to take lewis at that position. My prior point was that when you draft for need you are asking for it and we desparately needed defensive tackle help. We think the defense is bad now, remember 2000?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, this defense IS worse than 2000. We're giving up 3 more points per game than 2000, and total yardage is basically the same (3 less pass yards and 7 more run yards).

And yea, DT was a need position, but I don't remember Lewis being at the top of the DT world. Lovie's DT were supposed to be one inside rusher (D-Lew) and one hole closer (Pickett). I'd say Grease has lived up to his end of the bargain, but even then I was not sold on Lewis. Richard Seymour and Gerard Warren were both gone before we picked, so I was hoping for Marcus Stroud (who went to Jax at #13). I never liked the idea of a smaller DT (Lewis 6'1" 295) when a bigger one was available (Stroud 6'6" 320).

But as for your point on drafting for need, I agree. If a team has to reach a little because that player fits the position, it's a bit of a waste.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Wow I forgot Stroud went after D-Lew, Stroud is looking real good in Jax right now.

Sometimes it's interesting to go back and look at the draft and see who we drafted and who we could have, should have drafted.

One that comes to mind for me is I believe we drafted Eddie Kennison and could have drafted Marvin Harrison.

:sad:

But on the flip side if we had taken Harrison, we prob never would have drafted Holt later on since we would have been set at WR.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Everyone said that Pickett was the one they felt was a reach in the first round. Ya never know.

As usual, the biggest bison of all has opened my eyes. I never processed that we passed on marcus stroud to take damione lewis. That has not worked out well to say the least. Lewis certainly was a lovie type of guy and if there was another viable option like stroud, we sure picked wrong. That is a real legacy that lovie has left us with and i will be sure to cite that as i hear people lament the great days of the lovie era.

I am not sure that this defense is worse than 2000. Statistically, that may be correct, but the offense in 2000 was off the charts better than this offense and that defense had the luxury i believe of playing with a lot more early leads.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

DLew just hasn't produced. I know he's been snakebit with injuries, but that doesn't resolve the issue of that position not being productive.