Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    JFMose is offline Registered User

Re: Danario Alexander

What the hell happened to Laurent Robinson? Anyway, i love the potential of the AAA group described...but if we can't stay healthy then what's the point?

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    we might be able to get Michael Floyd this year and he'd be a pretty decent draft pick.
    Floyd carries his share of injury concerns, too. Julio Jones can't catch reliably, so we either trade up for Green or pray that Baldwin falls in our lap.

As for Alexander, let's just hope that he stays healthy; if he does, his height, speed, hands and willingness to learn all indicate that he's going to be an excellent player.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

And Sunday showed why I've wanted Alexander on this roster since the middle of his senior year at 'Zou. The kid has big-time play ability.

However, nobody is more surprised than me that he saw the stat sheet this soon. I really thought it would be a couple of weeks (at least) before he was even targeted, much less found paydirt.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Floyd carries his share of injury concerns, too. Julio Jones can't catch reliably, so we either trade up for Green or pray that Baldwin falls in our lap.

As for Alexander, let's just hope that he stays healthy; if he does, his height, speed, hands and willingness to learn all indicate that he's going to be an excellent player.
    yeah but Floyd hasn't been as injury prone as Alexander. If we were to draft Floyd than I guess we would hope that either he or Alexander is healthy at all times and that Avery and Clayton compete for the #2 spot.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Ive had the same position about drafting a WR all year, even after Clayton playing well, getting a good game from Alexander, I would still draft a WR in the first round. Its a passing league having two threats on the outside and depth behind them is essential in this league. You can never have enough weapons if we have football next year will be a great year to get some with AJ Green, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, Jon Baldwin, Kyle Rudoplh, and Ryan Broyles in the draft and Owen Daniels, Zac Miller, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Sidney Rice, Vincent Jackson, Randy Moss and Steve Smith in FA

Anyway Alexander reminds me alot of Marques Colston. Similar size, speed, and hand combo along with spotty medical records.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I too am thrilled with Danario's debut. I have to wonder, though, why the original poster felt the need to introduce this subject with a negative approach, gloating to the nonexistent DA detractors.

Oh, and the phrase "epic fail" is getting old even for 12 year olds (just ask my son).

Oh, and the phrase "epic fail" is getting old even for 12 year olds (just ask my son).
    Actually, I was in a courtroom the other day and heard the following:

Attorney - Your honor, I object.

Judge - Epic fail.

Now, back in the day, the judge would have simply said "Overruled", but apparently in this day even the Court has become more hip.

No, of course that didn't happen. And why? Because in the real world people have to speak like grown ups.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Alexander had a heck of a day, all things considered. It was great for him to be able to have that kind of debut in front of a home crowd. You have to feel for the guy, with all he's been through. That being said, I want to see him - heck, all Rams receivers, really - produce consistently on a week to week basis before I'm ready to start believing this is a group we can proceed with in the future. My experience is that we've been so desperate for receiving help the last couple of years that we're willing to get behind anyone who looks good for a game as the potential answer.

Last year, Laurent Robinson supposedly looked like the answer through two games. Then he was out for the year, and has regressed this season. In the middle of the season, the Rams added Brandon Gibson, who came in and had a nice debut against the Saints. He went from possibly being the answer to being on the roster bubble this fall and only getting back into the line-up due to injuries. The Rams then made a low-risk trade for Clayton, who came on with a bang and perhaps out of everyone looks the most like a viable starter, but he got injured as well. Now it's Alexander turning heads and being praised, and rightfully so after a great debut, but like many have said, the expectations have to be tempered with, "if he can keep this up and stay healthy for the season." Which for Rams receivers, is a big "if."

One thing about the these guys, especially Gibson, Clayton, and Alexander, is that you have to consider the opposing team's inability to adequately prepare for them in their debut games. All three of them have had very good first games with the Rams, and that's a credit to their skill to be able to come in and contribute quickly. But we also have to consider that their fast arrival hasn't left opponents much time to prepare for them as a part of this team. That's why I think it's important for these guys to be able to maintain their production over the course of a season. Do it consistently, week in and week out, and then we'll start talking about whether we've started to address this position.

If they can do it going forward, then maybe we do have a group, with Clayton on one side, Gibson or Alexander on the other, with Danny and Gilyard in the slot, that's dangerous enough to challenge defenses. But I still wouldn't turn my head just yet at the thought of upgrading this unit in the offseason with a big time talent, if the opportunity presents itself, and if after the season the current group of players haven't been able to consistently produce like we'd want them to.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Alexander had a heck of a day, all things considered. It was great for him to be able to have that kind of debut in front of a home crowd. You have to feel for the guy, with all he's been through. That being said, I want to see him - heck, all Rams receivers, really - produce consistently on a week to week basis before I'm ready to start believing this is a group we can proceed with in the future. My experience is that we've been so desperate for receiving help the last couple of years that we're willing to get behind anyone who looks good for a game as the potential answer.

Last year, Laurent Robinson supposedly looked like the answer through two games. Then he was out for the year, and has regressed this season. In the middle of the season, the Rams added Brandon Gibson, who came in and had a nice debut against the Saints. He went from possibly being the answer to being on the roster bubble this fall and only getting back into the line-up due to injuries. The Rams then made a low-risk trade for Clayton, who came on with a bang and perhaps out of everyone looks the most like a viable starter, but he got injured as well. Now it's Alexander turning heads and being praised, and rightfully so after a great debut, but like many have said, the expectations have to be tempered with, "if he can keep this up and stay healthy for the season." Which for Rams receivers, is a big "if."

One thing about the these guys, especially Gibson, Clayton, and Alexander, is that you have to consider the opposing team's inability to adequately prepare for them in their debut games. All three of them have had very good first games with the Rams, and that's a credit to their skill to be able to come in and contribute quickly. But we also have to consider that their fast arrival hasn't left opponents much time to prepare for them as a part of this team. That's why I think it's important for these guys to be able to maintain their production over the course of a season. Do it consistently, week in and week out, and then we'll start talking about whether we've started to address this position.

If they can do it going forward, then maybe we do have a group, with Clayton on one side, Gibson or Alexander on the other, with Danny and Gilyard in the slot, that's dangerous enough to challenge defenses. But I still wouldn't turn my head just yet at the thought of upgrading this unit in the offseason with a big time talent, if the opportunity presents itself, and if after the season the current group of players haven't been able to consistently produce like we'd want them to.
    To quote from one of my favorite movies, Say Anything...

You're bringing me down, man... you're bringing me down!

I think most of us realize that DA has a long way to go before he proves he will be a long-term impact player. Right now, though, I'm content to bask in the moment.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Also, anyone who predicted DA would either be inactive or barely see the field was not out of their mind. I feel a "haha, told you so" mentality from people who wanted to DA to play. The opposite I don't feel were saying "DA sucks, don't play him" but rather just trying to realize that most undrafted free agents who don't even go through training camp, and are recovering from knee surgery, aren't often featured in the offense during their first NFL game.

That was quite a happy surprise, and I am glad he had a good game. However, I will not apologize, retract any statements, or say I am eating crow for stating that people should not have expected DA to play a feature role in the offense. It's the same way I'll say don't expect Jackson to rumble for 400 yards and 8 TDs next game. I'll be quite surprised and happy if it does happen, but I don't expect it to, and I won't apologize for not expecting it.

All that said, one game does not make a career. I know some people hate this, but it is time for him to do it again. It has been my stance for years that one game or even one season does not make a player a star. I cannot count the number of times I've seen a player have a breakout season, and the whole fan base is abuzz the next season, and that player drops off the face of the earth. That will never ever stop me from hoping and dreaming that player will keep it up, but I won't just assume the same production out of a player that has only done it that one time.

P.S. it made me think of the old Michael Vick, where experts would roast him for being a poor passer, and every game, every game where he threw for 300 yards they would start to speculate and claim that Vick finally figured out how to be a passer in the league. Next week would come, Vick would suck, they'd go back to saying he can't throw, he'd have another 300 yard game, and they'd go back to saying he figured it out. Irritating as all get out. One game doesn't mean anything until you keep doing it.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

....and Donnie Avery?

My point is Clayton proved he's a player. I'm seeing Clayton, Avery and Gilyard/Amendola in the slot next season. How about a 4 receiver set with both Gilyard and Amendola on the field at the same time? Gibson and Alexander still have to prove themselves. Laurent Robinson better wake-up quick or he'll be the oddman out.

richtree is offline Registered User

Man, enjoy the good stuff.....DA84 played great, and Gibson really had a good game showing toughness across the middle..
    Danny really helped returning a punt close to the 50 and Fells gets opens to free up the WR's down the field.

As long as Bradford doesn't force things we will have a chance with our WR core....

PS -- Gilyard looked like he wasn't making sharp cuts and coming out of break strong...either he was lost or injured before the game...

Gilyard's focus needs to be on KO return yardage....

PS -- DA84 I told you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    To quote from one of my favorite movies, Say Anything...

You're bringing me down, man... you're bringing me down!

I think most of us realize that DA has a long way to go before he proves he will be a long-term impact player. Right now, though, I'm content to bask in the moment.
    I didn't think my response was particularly deflating, just trying to pull back the reins on those responses that went beyond the appropriate basking and into the realm of future projection based on one great performance.

Now that that's out of the way, let's resume the basking.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    ....and Donnie Avery?
    You're right, I neglected to include Avery. I am curious to see how he comes back from his injury, and if he's lost anything in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Alexander had a heck of a day, all things considered.
    And really that's all anyone (sensible) is saying, I think. Granted, there are one or two members of the "toldyaso" tribe currently busy carving his Canton bust.......but the rest of us are just happy to see a local kid who wanted to be here all along overcome the odds to get his first NFL touchdown. It's a good story that was part of a great game. Is he the long-term answer? Who knows. Like you said, after one game we've seen several "long-term" answers to an, as yet, open-ended question.

iso10topes is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i would agree with your post, but then you said "epic fail" which is pretty lame.
    your name is molar pistol.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast