Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    LA2STL is offline Registered User

Re: Danario Alexander

Gotta love the way Alexander came out of the blue to save the day. Had no idea he would be playing this soon. "Dem Rams" wanna talk about playoffs!!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

DX had said he was studying the playbook ever since he got to the Rams club. It is his obligation, of course, as with every professional player. Study, practice, repeat over and over. You're in the pros now, in the big league.

One can only wish and hope DX' progress will be consistent -- I don't mind if slow learning.

As for his tentative health condition, coach Spags said it: "We'll make sure we tread lightly and be smart about it."
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-20-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Ram

richtree is offline Registered User

It just baffles me still, that many people like me saw he had 1st/2nd round talent yet no one would take a 5-7 Round flier on him....

Just imagine if we didn't get him on the practice squad....he is first player to ever get a 4 year deal from any practice squad....

I had him ranked in Top 5 WR in NFL draft (see old threads) -- It just goes to show me that NFL GM's need to have an open mind...

I think the Rams actually do a much better job than most in this area...Just wish we got A.Hernandez when we could have trade up a few spots for him....

I don't think there is any rule that says a player HAS to pass a physical to be drafted, and I think DX may actually help future college players that get hurt to be drafted earlier in the draft....

RealRam is offline Registered User

New article, Official Rams site, Thur. Oct. 21:

Alexander Looking for Encore
    By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

Playing in his first football game since the Houston Bowl last December, Danario Alexander had plenty of butterflies last week against San Diego.

After catching a quick, 5-yard slant for his first NFL grab and taking his first NFL hit from Chargers safety Eric Weddle, those butterflies went away and Alexander was back in the groove.

But though he was happy when he woke up Monday morning, he also had plenty of soreness in his four-time surgically repaired knee.

I was kind of sore, Alexander said. I hadnt been tackled since my last bowl game last December so the soreness is going to come but I felt pretty good in practice out there.

After a scintillating debut in which he hauled in four catches for 72 yards with a diving 38-yard touchdown grab as the top highlight, Alexander was greeted by what he estimates at more than 70 congratulatory text messages and calls.

While Alexander acknowledged that all of those messages were meaningful and appreciated, he also said the ones from Missouri coach Gary Pinkel and other members of his staff excited him most.

I got a lot of text messages from my coaches back at Mizzou and I was pretty excited about that, Alexander said. It has been a pretty tough road. I spent a lot of time with those trainers down at Mizzou and guys up here have helped me to get to where I am at right now.

The question now is how Alexander builds on his impressive debut. The humble and reserved Alexander was reminded quickly by coach Steve Spagnuolo that theres a long way to go to become the type of player who can make plays on a consistent basis.

Well what Im going to hit him with is, Dont get a big head. Thats what Im going to hit him with, Spagnuolo said. I mean, Danario, its one game. You made a couple of big catches, big deal. I probably will say that to him. But I mean hes got to keep it all in perspective. Weve got a long way to go. In this league weve seen guys have great games one week, and then etcetera, etcetera. So I will remind him that we have a long way to go. Im very proud of him. Im proud of the fact that he fought through an injury way back and I know what he went through. Its been a hard road for him to get to this point. Im proud of him, happy for him.

The challenge this week is for Alexander to build on his big debut and find a way to keep it rolling.

Last week, Alexander was moved up from the practice squad to the active roster and had just three days of practice to get up to speed. The Rams limited his reps in the game because of his short preparation time and uncertainty about how much of a workload he could handle between the plays they had in the game plan for him in addition to his special teams work.

We are going to try to use him in a way that fits his skill and ability, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said. He obviously showed up very well last Sunday and we are expecting that he can make some plays again this week.

Quarterback Sam Bradford clearly would like to have Alexander at his disposal more often.

I think his role will continue to expand, Bradford said. I think we have a great group of receivers, especially when you throw him in the mix. I think you add some size and some speed for us. But I think its all up to him. I think as long as he continues to improve and continues to grasp what were doing on offense, then I dont see any reasons why the coaches wouldnt start throwing more at him.

If nothing else, Alexanders performance last week earned him more trust from the coaches and that will likely translate to more action for him this week.

Of course, Alexander said. You go out and make plays and the coaches will be more confident in you and if you know your material. I did a pretty good job last week and I am ready to move on to this week.

As for the knee soreness that bothered him early this week, Alexander says thats probably a fact of life that hes just going to have to deal with every week.

I probably expect that, Alexander said. Just to get back into the groove of it, of the league. Its a pretty tough and physical game and I have got to get used to it.

richtree is offline Registered User

I really don't expect him to catch a touchdown every week, but I do expect him to show his speed and moves down the field.

Maybe even mix in a WR Reverse with him or a flea flicker with all the pressure on SJax.

Our play calling has been very vanilla. Hopefully we get some points early and can open it up.

Maybe open the game up with some playaction one time !

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567