Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Danario Alexander is finally healthy ,,

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Danario Alexander is finally healthy ,,

BY BILL COATS Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:30 am

The most scrutinized left knee in town was on display Tuesday as the Rams players continued informal workouts at Lindenwood University. Wide receiver Danario Alexander was among those joining the contingent.

"I got a good workout," he said. "It's always good to get out here and get in the flow of things."

By the time the nearly two-hour session ended, Alexander's performance had quarterback Sam Bradford licking his lips.

"Watching him go through wide receiver drills and just getting off the line, he looks much quicker, looks much faster, much more explosive than he did in the (2010) season," Bradford said.

Alexander, a record-breaking receiver at Missouri, has undergone five operations on his left knee. The most recent one was done in October, an arthroscopic procedure after he tweaked the joint in practice.

Since then, the knee has improved significantly, Alexander reported Tuesday.

"I've been working out and training throughout this whole offseason to be a hundred percent for the season," he said. "It's a lot better than it was during the season. Everything's coming back like it's supposed to."

If the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder from Marlin, Texas, can even come close to the numbers he amassed during his senior season at Mizzou 113 catches, 1,781 yards, 14 touchdowns Bradford will have plenty of reason to celebrate.

"Last year when he was healthy and was in the lineup, he made some big plays for us," Bradford said. "So to have him at full go, it definitely is exciting."

Because of concerns about his knee, Alexander wasn't drafted last year, even after earning All-American honors. The Rams signed him to a free-agent deal Aug. 22, and he started the season on the practice squad as he toiled to strengthen the muscles in his left leg.

Promoted to the active roster on Oct. 12, Alexander made a rousing debut. He caught four passes for 72 yards, including a diving grab for a 38-yard touchdown, in a 20-17 victory over San Diego.

He missed a month after reinjuring his knee, but finished his rookie season with 20 receptions for 306 yards a team-high 15.3 yards per catch in just eight games.

"It was great, just to see that I can play in this league at a pretty high level," said Alexander, 22. "Coming in as a rookie, you think the NFL is this crazy league that's impossible to play in. So for me to come in and make an impact on the team was truly gratifying."

Still, Alexander insists that was merely a glimpse of his potential.

"Just a little taste," he said. "A lot of guys are kind of writing me off because of the injuries that have happened in my career. I'm ready to show everybody what I can do."

Whether he'll get that chance sooner or later depends on how long the NFL lockout, which began nearly three months ago, continues. At the moment, there is no end in sight.

Alexander said he tries not to dwell on the labor impasse.

"I don't let it get to me that much. I just take it for what it is," he said. "If you put too much energy into it, it'll be taxing on your body. So I'm just trying to go with the flow right now."

His home is in Houston, but Alexander in recent weeks has been conditioning with former MU teammates Jeremy Maclin and Sean Weatherspoon in Philadelphia.

"I've been training every day, just to be ready when this lockout is lifted," Alexander said. It's not difficult, he added, to motivate himself to put in the work.

"No, no, not at all. Because I know I want to have a great season next year," he said. "What's going to get me to that point is working out every day. ... I'm ready to show off my talents."

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Danario Alexander is finally healthy ,,

Alexander and Avery are two players who might actually benefit from this lockout. The more time Alexander can put between himself and knee surgery the better. And I think Avery is only at 70% or 80%..with all the competition there it'll do him some good being able to get back to 100% before anyone is really watching.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'll bet DX will kill it next year. We've seen this over and over again. A guy isn't drafted because of his injury history, but still has tremendous skills. He will kill this league. Last year he did terrific and was coming off 2 knee surgeries.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I see he's rockin the prosthetic leg.

Oh technology how I love you so.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

It's amazing that sports might have and is always helping advance regular medicine. The goal for teams and players to have players heal faster has helped regular people like us have access to new technology and medical methods at hospitals.

With that put aside. I really hope DX works out for us, because he has that Number 1 big (redzone, endzone, third down) target capability. I mean big in his size and playmaking ability size.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

DX can absolutely be a #1 receiver in this league if his leg holds up. I still think he needs to be in a reserve situation for this season(just because of his previous health and to continue to get acclimated to the NFL), but definitely get playing tme. My ideal depth chart would have Clayton and Avery starting outside, with DX in reserve, and then Amendola and the two rooks manning the slots.

As I've said a few times, give me a rotation of Clayton, Avery and DX outside for 16 games, and I'll show you #1 production, easy.
    I believe!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    DX can absolutely be a #1 receiver in this league if his leg holds up. I still think he needs to be in a reserve situation for this season(just because of his previous health and to continue to get acclimated to the NFL), but definitely get playing tme. My ideal depth chart would have Clayton and Avery starting outside, with DX in reserve, and then Amendola and the two rooks manning the slots.

As I've said a few times, give me a rotation of Clayton, Avery and DX outside for 16 games, and I'll show you #1 production, easy.
    OMG our WR corps are going to be a a beastly DARK HORSE this year. I have a soft spot fo DX since I can very much to relate to him. Would like to see our WR corps be DX, Avery, Clayton, Pettis, Salas. Maybe Gibson for a practice sqaud in case of injury to one of our top 5?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Run, Alex! ...Runnnnn! Good work young man.