r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Danario Alexander Goes To Work With Rams

Danario Alexander goes to work with Rams

BY BILL COATS
    August 24, 2010

Rams cornerback Antoine Thompson hadn't seen wide receiver Danario Alexander on a football field since last Sept. 25. Thompson would prefer to forget that initial meeting.

"We went head-to-head, and he got the best of me that night," Thompson said. "He had a pretty good game."

Alexander caught nine passes for 170 yards and touchdowns of 31 and 74 yards in Missouri's 31-21 victory over Thompson's Nevada outfit. Alexander went on to lead the nation in receiving yards, with 1,781 on 113 catches, 14 for TDs.

Thompson and Alexander met up again Monday at Rams Park. Both arrived as undrafted rookies, although Thompson has been around since early May. Alexander is the newest Ram, signed Sunday after working out for team officials.

His first practice wasn't filled with highlights. He was in for a total 14 plays in 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven drills. Three balls were thrown his way. None was caught.

But, as Alexander noted, it's a start.

"It felt pretty good to come out and get a little action," Alexander said. "I've been out of football since the Senior Bowl, so it's always to get back on the field."

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound Alexander is "a big guy, a big body, a physical dude," Thompson said. "He's a pretty big target, and athletically he can move pretty good, too. I think he'll be a good receiver for the Rams."

First, Alexander has to get up to speed, both on the field and with an offensive scheme that bears virtually no resemblance to the spread that Mizzou runs.

"He's got a lot of catching up to do," coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

To that end, Alexander vowed to put in extra time. "I'll be here early and late, trying to get everything together," he said. "I'll be in my playbook as soon as I get back home. I'm behind with the plays, so it's going to take some time. ...

"I'm going to try my best to be the best player I can be."

For that to happen, he'll need his left knee, which has undergone four operations, to cooperate. His most recent surgery, the result of a knee injury at the Senior Bowl in late January, and the subsequent rehab almost certainly kept Alexander from being drafted and delayed his move to the pros.

He reported that the knee felt "pretty good (Monday). I haven't had any problems. I'll be testing it every day, doing different things on it until I feel a hundred percent comfortable."

The interlude between the April draft and his signing was tough to deal with, Alexander conceded. "It was frustrating at the beginning, watching the draft and seeing all my friends get drafted," he said. "But I had to get my mind set. I had to rehab every day to get to the point where I am right now."

After Alexander visited with the Rams and took a physical exam earlier this month, "They wanted me to go back and get a little more rehab, be more game-ready, practice-ready," he said. "That's what I did, and they made the call."

INJURY UPDATES

Wide receivers Keenan Burton and Mardy Gilyard missed practice. Burton was excused to tend to a family emergency, and Gilyard was ill. Linebacker David Vobora left early after tweaking a hamstring that had been bothering him for a few days.

Also out were quarterback A.J. Feeley (thumb, elbow), guard John Greco (chest), defensive end Victor Adeyanju (ankle), safety James Butler (knee), tight end Daniel Fells (knee), cornerback Marquis Johnson (shoulder), wide receiver Brandon McRae (ankle), linebacker Dominic Douglas (hamstring) and defensive end George Selvie (leg).

RAM-BLINGS

According to a league source, former Rams defensive tackle Claude Wroten has been reinstated after his one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Wroten becomes an unrestricted free agent. ... The final practice of training camp and the last one open to the public begins at 2:30 p.m. today.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Danario Alexander Goes To Work With Rams

Dang, I wish his knee would have been ready at the beginning of camp. With healthy knees, he's a 3rd round pick. He's just got so much catch-up time to do now, I can't imagine him acquiring more than a practice squad spot at this point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Dang, I wish his knee would have been ready at the beginning of camp. With healthy knees, he's a 3rd round pick. He's just got so much catch-up time to do now, I can't imagine him acquiring more than a practice squad spot at this point.
    Agreed. At this point, when the best he can say about his knee is that it feels "pretty good", the practice squad is the most he can hope for. That said, the way our receivers go down with injury, there could be plenty of opportunities during the season for any WR on the practice squad.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

One way to look at it though is maybe if his knees were good we wouldn't have been able to get him. Even if he only makes the practice squad this year he could pay off big next year, or if our recievers hold up like they did last year he could be a 1st teamer by week 3.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Don't be shocked if he experiences a knee tweak and gets put on the IR.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Three balls were thrown his way. None was caught.
    Looks like he's up to speed, let's get him in there!

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

Why would you say that ? That's such a negative outlook on a guy that can help...

Funny how I had to listen to this board say how great Ramses Braden was gonna be last year and he can't even get on the field, but yet alot of these same people aren't in support of DA...

Lets get to week 1 already..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How can you not pull for this guy?

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Looks like he's up to speed, let's get him in there!
    This is good stuff. Had me laughing pretty good. Thanks for the laugh.

gap

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

Is that so we can stash him away for a year without having to be concerned that someone will sign him off our practice squad?

He could still attend meetings and learn the playbook in the meantime iirc.

WHAT SAY YE?

Trevor is offline Registered User

He will be our starter, Him and Gilyard will be like our next bruce and holt. Mark my words.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    He will be our starter, Him and Gilyard will be like our next bruce and holt. Mark my words.
    Bold prediction. I hope you're right, but I'm not putting any of my money on this one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod