Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Danario Alexander: I'll Be Ready To Play Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Even when Danario isn't on the field (which he hasn't been), what has Gilyard done exactly? I haven't given up on him but he really seems to be behind in his development. He's by far one of the most disappointing players we've drafted if you ask me.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what kind of impact Alexander will have this weekend...
    I'm not saying I am hopeful for Gilyard. I'd just like to have the options of a 4 wideout set still open for defenses to think about if (when?) Alexander's knee explodes again.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I'm not saying I am hopeful for Gilyard. I'd just like to have the options of a 4 wideout set still open for defenses to think about if (when?) Alexander's knee explodes again.
    It's not like we run that many to begin with. Most of the time we have 4 WRs out wide, 1 or 2 of them are TE's anyways.

Even when Gilyard is in the game, it doesn't feel like he is. Rather de-activate him than someone else that can contribute.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    It's not like we run that many to begin with. Most of the time we have 4 WRs out wide, 1 or 2 of them are TE's anyways.

Even when Gilyard is in the game, it doesn't feel like he is. Rather de-activate him than someone else that can contribute.
    Who do we activate in his place? Dockery? I'd rather we have Gilyard active.

Look at it this way, if Alexander gets hurt "Woo hoo, we still have Gilyard"
    If Alexander doesn't get hurt, "Woo hoo, Dockery didn't play today."

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

So you're proposing to de-activate Dockery and activate both Alexander and Gilyard? I can see merit in that.

Considering the fact that three of our defensive backs all suffered cramps during the Falcons game, I would prefer if we kept Dockery activated. Having linebackers to cover the Bronco's passing game would be terrible, especially since our linebackers can't even cover slower TEs.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Agreed. Although I really want to see Gilyard succeed, it seems as though he's in the dogpound at this point. I wish they'd elaborate as to why he's not doing well and/or what he can do to improve his play. We all thought, me especially, that he'd be a reliable rookie target for Sam...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Obviously we wanted Gilyard to contribute more than he has so far, but he's a #4 receiver on a team that doesn't use many 4 WR sets. Unless the Rams (1) bench someone else or (2) start using more four receiver sets, neither of which I think they're very inclined to do, then he's not going to see the field very much.

One thought I'd pose to those who want to deactivate him is that, if the problem is that he's not coming along as quickly as you'd like, is taking him off the field and limiting the live game experience he gets really going to help him? I'm not sure where I come down on that one, but it's something to think about.

Ultimately I'm kind of with Peoria on this. Our WRs haven't exactly been the exemplar of health, so if possible, I'd rather have five at our disposal rather than four.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ultimately I'm kind of with Peoria on this. Our WRs haven't exactly been the exemplar of health, so if possible, I'd rather have five at our disposal rather than four.
    I don't have a problem with this unless it's an active Gilyard over a deactivated game ready Alexander.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Gilyard was terrible on kick off returns. Never got past the 20. (No, really, not once). Amendola increased the average by a good 6 yards instantly.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Has an undrafted player with two NFL games under his belt ever received this much attention?

I am pulling for DX as much as anyone, but man... its over the top with him.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I have triangulated another possibility:

1. Deactivate M. Karney and have M. Hohoman rotate in at fullback when needed.

2.) Activate both D. Alexander and M. Gilyard.

3.) Have Alexander as our #4 and Gilyard as our #5.

Problem solved.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Gilyard was terrible on kick off returns. Never got past the 20. (No, really, not once). Amendola increased the average by a good 6 yards instantly.
    Seriously, where did you come up with this crap?

Amendola has averaged 19.6 yards a kick off return. Gilyard averaged 22.3 with a long of 34.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams passing game has got to improve; I'm still hoping DX will be part of the solution. Strengthen / take care of that knee!

Gilyard better show some progress as well. Even if this starts at KO returns. // Should also try RAMarkable's scheme above.

msha is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Seriously, where did you come up with this crap?

Amendola has averaged 19.6 yards a kick off return. Gilyard averaged 22.3 with a long of 34.
    I just looked it up and you are right about the stats. I'd still rather have Amendola return though. Knowing Gilyard, he'll probably take a knee at the 1, return it 5 yards deep in the end zone, fumble, or possibly even call for a fair catch. Expect the unexpected when that guy is in the game. And by the way, how did this turn into a bashing Gilyard thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Obviously we wanted Gilyard to contribute more than he has so far, but he's a #4 receiver on a team that doesn't use many 4 WR sets. Unless the Rams (1) bench someone else or (2) start using more four receiver sets, neither of which I think they're very inclined to do, then he's not going to see the field very much.

One thought I'd pose to those who want to deactivate him is that, if the problem is that he's not coming along as quickly as you'd like, is taking him off the field and limiting the live game experience he gets really going to help him? I'm not sure where I come down on that one, but it's something to think about.

Most of the time he is off the field anyways. I'm not saying that game experience won't help him, because experience cannot be duplicated, but with all the burden and pressure on him, maybe de-activating him and letting him sit out and peacefully absorb the playbook and information will be better for him. At least for a couple games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast