Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramfan247 is offline Registered User

Daniel Fells #2 Tight End-BIG SLEEPER

The coaches must be REALLY impressed with this guy. There has been a lot of positive media about how well Billy Bajema is doing in camp, yet Daniel Fells is still ahead of him on the depth chart. So I think Fellls is being groomed to be the Rams' next #1 overall (blocking and catching) tight end.
    I went to a couple of training camp practices and I could easily see why the coaches like him. He definitely creates match up problems in the receiving game. Caught a bunch of balls on O.J. The kid is REAL quick and REAL big. He gets down the field and gets open like a wide receiver and uses his 270lb frame to shove guys out of the way. I'm real impressed with his hands too. He catches the ball with his hands like a wide out and not with his body like some other tight ends. If I remember correctly, he lined up in the back field a bunch of times at the scrimmage too and blocked down the middle. I guess he can do it all! Hope to see what he can do for us in the next couple of games.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Daniel Fells #2 Tight End-BIG SLEEPER

I have not read anything that states that he's above Bajema on the depth chart.

Truth is, they have different roles. Fells is more of a receiving TE who will back up McMichael (Klop, it seems, likely won't make the team). Bajema is a blocking TE who will be in on short yardage plays and double-TE formations.

You seem to have an odd affinity for the guy (almost all of your posts here are about him). He could be a contributer, but hardly is a headliner.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Word out of camp I am seeing is that Bajema has much better hands than thought and appears to be a punishing runner after the catch ...

While Fells is talented, a nice package in a TE/HB role, if Bejema can consistently prove to be able to catch the ball, he'll find it hard to ever get off the field in this offense ...

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Fells is NOT above Billy Bajema on the depth chart. Fells is still battling Klop for a roster spot. Jim Thomas reported that he's dropped multiple balls recently and is concerned. There are much more realistic sleepers that could turn into solid contributer. Quincy Butler, Gary Gibson, Larry Grant are more likely.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

BIG SLEEPER huh? Well .. I don't care how much he sleeps as long as he can stay awake on the field ..

BarronWade is offline Registered User

If Fells is on top of Bajema im fine with that.

Fells is a faster more athletic type of Tight End that can catch but cant block. And it does not matter too much cuz we can just put bajema in for running plays and a few play action plays to keep the D on check.

I want Fells to impress enough that he can take over as starter mid-season. he will be good at receiving this year.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Fells is NOT above Billy Bajema on the depth chart. Fells is still battling Klop for a roster spot. Jim Thomas reported that he's dropped multiple balls recently and is concerned. There are much more realistic sleepers that could turn into solid contributer. Quincy Butler, Gary Gibson, Larry Grant are more likely.
    This is what I thought as well, but several of our fellow board members have seen different, guess we'l have to wait and see friday night.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't mind who is ahead of who. It seems like we finally have a good set of tight ends. We can fool the opposing defenses with the tight trio. haha cheesy ass name, i know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Hey, what can I say, I think the guy is pretty talented and I'm a fan. Saw some flashes of great potential when he played last year so I'd hardly call that an odd affinity, Avenger. And I do understand that him and Bajema play different roles but today I noticed that Fells IS ahead of him on the current depth chart on the Rams website. The coaches could have easily put Bajema after McMichael if they wanted to, especially since he is practically guaranteed a spot from being freshly signed, but they didn't. And I'm just hoping that its because I'm right and that Fells IS talented. I'm just being positive and hoping he lives up to the media hype from OTAs. WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET IN THE RECEIVING CORPS THIS YEAR. You're right about one thing though, time will tell and we'll see what he can do on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Look at the depth chart that was posted to the official website a couple of days ago. Hey, it could change, but as of right now Fells is ahead of Bajema.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    BIG SLEEPER huh? Well .. I don't care how much he sleeps as long as he can stay awake on the field ..
    Good one!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    If Fells is on top of Bajema im fine with that.

Fells is a faster more athletic type of Tight End that can catch but cant block. And it does not matter too much cuz we can just put bajema in for running plays and a few play action plays to keep the D on check.

I want Fells to impress enough that he can take over as starter mid-season. he will be good at receiving this year.
    Fells cannot block? I saw blow numerous defenders up last year, both from the outside, and in the HB position as a lead blocker ...

He's 6-4, 270 - quite a beast of a tight end ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Fells cannot block? I saw blow numerous defenders up last year, both from the outside, and in the HB position as a lead blocker ...

He's 6-4, 270 - quite a beast of a tight end ...
    Agreed. I think it became clear in the Jets game that he CAN block, both on the line as a TE and from the backfield as a FB. Normally I'd say that the fact that he blocked well doesn't mean much because its a preseason game but in this case he was blocking well against the Jets' first string from the start of the game. I think that shows some talent. I did think it was odd though that he didn't run even one route. Maybe their trying to round him out so that he can do it all b/c they already know he can catch.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Mike Sando say Bejama and Fells have been the guys in the 2 tight sets not McMichael. Fells isn't ahead of either though, because Bejama is a better blocker and McMichael is a better reciever.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO when it comes to pass catching he and Keenan Burton are practice all stars who don't show up nearly as much on game day, but Fells is a decent blocker on gameday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast