Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Amendola

bluesjoc Guest

Re: Danny Amendola

This Sunday the Rams face their biggest test so far in the Spags era when they host the Arizona Cardinals in week 1 of the 2010 NFL season.

But is it a test for the Rams or for Spags?

This is Spags second season at the helm, and believe me, all eyes will be on this team to see just how well they will perform, and more importantly, to see how far they have come since Spags took over. Are two drafts, and two offseasons enough to at least give a poor team the look of a turnaround team if being directed properly? That's up for debate.

Right now I want to talk about a guy who you may know pretty well after week one... WR Mark Clayton.

Admittedly, I know very little about him. I do know he is a seasoned guy, who by the sake of the Ravens being loaded at wide receiver (Boldin, Houshmandzadeh), landed in St. Louis to (at least for this year) be the number one guy and veteran leader our young receiving squad needs, all for the bargain price of a sixth round draft pick (we also got their seventh rounder).

Earlier this week we heard he was picking up on the playbook really well. Keep in mind, the Rams offensive system is completely different from the Ravens. It's not like he came from Philly... the playbook including numbers, letters, you name it - is all different.

I just listened to 101ESPN radio's Fast Lane show with Brian Stull (Stully) who mentioned something quite interesting about Clayton. Clayton already knows the ENTIRE playbook. No, not a "good enough" grasp, but the ENTIRE playbook. The guys is SMART... really smart.

As a matter of fact, Stully also talked to Mardy Gilyard and a few other Ram receivers, and they were shaking their heads mentioning that Clayton actually helped them lineup on a few plays... yea, I'd say he knows the playbook. They also said his speed is faster than recorded. I liked the sound of ALL of this.

But how can a guy learn, essentially a foreign language, THAT FAST? Is it possible? Stully mentioned that Clayton personally told him he has a REAL photographic memory. He saw the playbook, DONE. He also mentioned to Stully that he played QB in high school.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    Last year, he also really benefited from the Foster and Robinson injuries. Even with his return skills, he would never have seen the field if those two hadn't gone down.
    Looks like you got this one wrong. You and ManofGod did not give Danny the benefit of doubt. Some of us believed in the kid but more important so did the coaching staff and Bradford.

Go Rams

Varg6 is offline Registered User

He'll be much more effective with a #1 WR.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RealRam is online now Registered User

DA is, to me, a fine WR. A player with big play potential, big heart -- and yes, great hands. Perhaps a little Ricky Proehl, as Live4raming said. I think we'd be crazy to not have him next year, and I anticipate, years to come.

If we can only get someone else to help in returining kicks and, most of all, get that Rams offense to synch better, Amendola should have a considerably more productive year in catches and yards for 2011. ...Throw in more TDs while I'm at it.

I totally, respectfully, but emphatically dismiss the "he is now useless" tag on current No. 16.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm still a little surprised that some are questioning Danny A's spot on the roster. He leads the league in all-purpose yards, 9th in receptions......but on a roster that needs every bit of receiver talent it can get, we still question Amendola's spot?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rayzorram is offline Registered User

I can't believe we are questioning the dependability and stability we have had in Danny Amendola. It seems this last year I never had to grimace and wring my hands hoping that a pass thrown Danny's way or a kickoff/punt return wasn't gonna get caught. I do believe that maybe it was a combination of being awestruck and who knows if the weather played a role in practically every wideout and tight end dropping the ball in this last Sunday's game. Yes I can hear it now that I'm making excuses but maybe I've been good at it since being a Ram fan for 41 years and will continue to be a diehard Ram fan. I'm telling you that the future looks brighter so just hang in there and sharpen your Ram horns because we are going to be a threat in years to come.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm still a little surprised that some are questioning Danny A's spot on the roster. He leads the league in all-purpose yards, 9th in receptions......but on a roster that needs every bit of receiver talent it can get, we still question Amendola's spot?
    Someone bumped up an off season topic from last year. All recent posts are rightfully supportive.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I love the kid, but there is no way I want him catching over 80 passes again next season. BACK UP, BACK UP WR. Special teams demon to the Rams. That's it?
    Having players like him being your main threat on 3rd down is a joke. This is why Seattle was able to embarrass us on defense, simply no respect for the big play.
    On the other hand Id hate to lose him, because of his team first philosophy.?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Look guys I love Danny as much as the next fan but let's be honest here. I'd be lying if I didn't want to see Mardy Gilyard come in to training camp next year and blow everybody's doors off with his performance and thereby take Amendola's position from him.

I'll give you an example why. Remember in the last Whiner game when Danny broke the 84 yard kickoff return? Recall he was caught from behind and we ended up having to kick a field goal.

I'm going to promise you that Mardy would have not been caught and would have scored. The extra 4 points could have been crucial as we still only had an 8 point lead after the field goal.

Gotta love Danny's effort and heart but no matter what he does he reminds me of the guy that you're always looking to replace.

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Remember in the last Whiner game when Danny broke the 84 yard kickoff return?
    I do remember that one. Remember that 84-yarder that Gilyard broke?

Me neither.

But, hey, let's say Gilyard does blow up and make something of himself next year. I don't think it's Amendola's spot that gets taken.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is offline Registered User

Excuse me but who the heck is Mardy Gillyard? Is he on practice squad? For "crying" out loud, you guys sure know the Ram roster better then I.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Excuse me but who the heck is Mardy Gillyard? Is he on practice squad? For "crying" out loud, you guys sure know the Ram roster better then I.
    He's the 3rd rounder (I believe) we picked up that watches from the sidelines, only seeing the field for three or four plays a game, and when he does get in for a play, the rookie TE has to tell him where he is supposed to line up.

This space for rent...

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Remember in the last Whiner game when Danny broke the 84 yard kickoff return? Recall he was caught from behind and we ended up having to kick a field goal.

I'm going to promise you that Mardy would have not been caught and would have scored. The extra 4 points could have been crucial as we still only had an 8 point lead after the field goal.
    But that relies on Gilyard having made the play in the first place, to get to the point where he's just 10 yards or so from goal. You can't just 'drop' him in there after Amendola's made the hard yards and then say Gilyard has the speed so would have got the td.

Might as well say we should have Usain Bolt returning (on condition that once Amendola's broken away and has a bit of room to run, we're able to pause the game, switch the returner to Bolt and then resume).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Amendola is not a #1 or #2 receiver. He's an awesome slot receiver, #3 if you will. We need more guys like Amendola on this team as far as heart and desire go.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    He's the 3rd rounder (I believe) we picked up that watches from the sidelines, only seeing the field for three or four plays a game, and when he does get in for a play, the rookie TE has to tell him where he is supposed to line up.

Hi Thoey,

Apologies, I was attempting sarcasm. This guy was a washout this year and only thing notable was his alledged crying on sideline duirng one game. He should be so luckly to have half the heart that Mr Amendola has.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast