View Poll Results: Why had Danny Amendola been injured so often?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • He is fragile.

    5 11.90%
  • He is reckless.

    21 50.00%
  • He's been unlucky.

    16 38.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,049
    Rep Power
    171

    Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Here's a question that the Rams will have to consider: why has Danny Amendola been injured so often?

    I submit that there are three possible answers:

    1. He is fragile: Certain players seem - usually, but not always, smaller players - seem to be more susceptible to injury than others. While there's no "test" for fragility, sometimes that seems to be the best (and least favorable) explanation.

    2. He is reckless: We admire a guy who dives for the ball and is willing to take a hit, but that style of play can lead to injuries. I think many of us came to appreciate Isaac Bruce's practice of avoiding big hits, as it probably lengthened his career. Is Danny too reckless?

    3. He is unlucky: Sometimes, an injury is just dumb luck. In a sense, that is what you hope for when you sign a player with an injury history: that the past was bad luck and won't repeat itself.

    So which do you think applies to Danny?


  2. #2
    chucknbob is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    571
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    I don't think Danny knows the meaning of "step out of bounds." Part of what has made him so successful and poplar around here is that he's willing and able to catch the ball knowing he's about to get slammed.

    My vote is for reckless.

  3. #3
    Rammed's Avatar
    Rammed is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    412
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Considering it's different injuries on different parts of his body, I went with unlucky. But most likely it's a combination of all of the above.

  4. #4
    emuen's Avatar
    emuen is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    I voted fragile

    His last two injuries came in situations were he really didn't do anything reckless. One he turned around mid air to catch a pass, hurting himself in the fall. The other he injured his foot running a route.

    Could just be bad luck though.

  5. #5
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,049
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Considering it's different injuries on different parts of his body, I went with unlucky. But most likely it's a combination of all of the above.
    Of course, you're right that its probably a combination of all three. However, in assessing whether to make a financial committment to Danny, I think there would be a greater comfort level if he is believed to be "unlucky" or even a litter "reckless" than if he is regarded as "fragile."

    I, by the way, went with "reckless" as the primary reason for Danny's injuries. He seems to avoid big hits okay, but he'll dive for every ball, which can be dangerous (particularly on turf).

  6. #6
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,899
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    He suffered an injury this year so rare the Rams medical staff had to call the other teams to find a case study of it happening to another NFL player, but none of them had one.

    As a result, I went with unlucky.
    RealRam, HUbison and live4ramin like this.

  7. #7
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,703
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of course, you're right that its probably a combination of all three. However, in assessing whether to make a financial committment to Danny, I think there would be a greater comfort level if he is believed to be "unlucky" or even a litter "reckless" than if he is regarded as "fragile."

    I, by the way, went with "reckless" as the primary reason for Danny's injuries. He seems to avoid big hits okay, but he'll dive for every ball, which can be dangerous (particularly on turf).
    Fair question Av, but to me, essentially beside the point. The issue for the Rams is durability, (ie the effect of missing games) rather than the underlying cause of why he hasn't been on the field full time over the past two or three years. I appreciate your point, which is to say that the decision on whether to pay him big money is based on what will happen in the future, rather than the past, but i am of the view that past performance is the best predictor of future performance, in addition to the concept that guys dont tend to get more durable as they get older. I am not sure why Danny has issues staying on the field, but i know that is a reality and I dont see that changing if we are talking about big money. Again, i would love to have him back and i am not saying that should be only on the cheap, but i dont think it should be at the level of a legitimate number one receiver and certainly not at the expense of being able to resign Jackson. Personally, i think its a combination of size and recklessness, the idea that at his size, he has to compensate by giving 1000% effort to gain every possible inch on the field, and that leads to injuries. The great Isaac Bruce made a career out of avoiding huge hits over the middle when he could. Did he lose some yards here and there? Sure. But he also was a very durable guy over the course of his career and increased the liklihood of maximizing his impact by doing what he could to avoid injuries.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  8. #8
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,049
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Fair question Av, but to me, essentially beside the point. The issue for the Rams is durability, (ie the effect of missing games) rather than the underlying cause of why he hasn't been on the field full time over the past two or three years. I appreciate your point, which is to say that the decision on whether to pay him big money is based on what will happen in the future, rather than the past, but i am of the view that past performance is the best predictor of future performance, in addition to the concept that guys dont tend to get more durable as they get older. I am not sure why Danny has issues staying on the field, but i know that is a reality and I dont see that changing if we are talking about big money. Again, i would love to have him back and i am not saying that should be only on the cheap, but i dont think it should be at the level of a legitimate number one receiver and certainly not at the expense of being able to resign Jackson. Personally, i think its a combination of size and recklessness, the idea that at his size, he has to compensate by giving 1000% effort to gain every possible inch on the field, and that leads to injuries. The great Isaac Bruce made a career out of avoiding huge hits over the middle when he could. Did he lose some yards here and there? Sure. But he also was a very durable guy over the course of his career and increased the liklihood of maximizing his impact by doing what he could to avoid injuries.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    If the Rams simply looked at past durability, I would be surprised if they offered Danny anything more than a modest one-year contract.

    But I disagree with your premise... I think you do have to look at the cause. That's why there is more cause for concern about a guy like RG3 - who is likely injured because of his size and style of play - than Ben Roethlisberger, who is big and has been hurt in more "fluke" situations.

    I agree with your conclusion, though. I want Danny back, but not at a premium price.

  9. #9
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,474
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    In my opinion, Danny's lack of self preservation is the root cause of all his problems. His high-octane style of play lends itself to him being at risk of injury.

    I voted for "reckless".

  10. #10
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    He's reckless, if he could learn a thing or two from Welker, it's that he should avoid playing more than what his body is capable of.

  11. #11
    live4ramin's Avatar
    live4ramin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Missouri Low Country
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    A slant receiver must be reckless, it's what he does.

    Danny is small and therefore fragile.

    We are unlucky.
    Torry Holt likes this.
    "The horror"

  12. #12
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    33% - fragile
    33% - reckless
    33% - unlucky
    1% - I'm drunk, therefore I do not care
    live4ramin and ZiaRam like this.

  13. #13
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,049
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    A slant receiver must be reckless, it's what he does.

    Danny is small and therefore fragile.

    We are unlucky.
    With an answer like that, you should be running for office somewhere.

  14. #14
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,049
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    33% - fragile
    33% - reckless
    33% - unlucky
    1% - I'm drunk, therefore I do not care
    Considering that you posted that at around 5:30 p.m. (Pacific Time) on a Monday, I think you might have a problem.

  15. #15
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,584
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

    Unlucky. But to justify that notion I'll have to say DA is definitely reckless.

    Seriously, that injury when he hurt his clavicle and suffered internal damage was as freaky as it was costly. I can still see him in game vs AZ, falling awkardly on that right shoulder while trying to protect the ball under his mid torso. It probably would have taken very little to result in a much less serious injury and thus not miss any games. A bad break, i.e., unlucky.

    I say we need Danny Amendola! And unlike a DX type of WR that was already damaged goods, I'm rooting for DA to come back full-season strong. [Yikes, odds not favorable!]

    Last edited by RealRam; -02-18-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Format

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Danny Amendola - Is in the UK
    By UK Ramfan 83 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -02-07-2012, 08:36 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: -10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
  3. Danny Amendola
    By Cabo3334 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: -01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
  4. Danny the Manny Amendola
    By hawaiianpunch in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -10-17-2010, 04:27 PM
  5. Danny Amendola
    By MidniteRider5 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -09-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •