View Poll Results: Why had Danny Amendola been injured so often?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • He is fragile.

5 11.90%
  • He is reckless.

21 50.00%
  • He's been unlucky.

16 38.10%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Is Danny Amendola fragile, reckless or unlucky?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I'd agree about a hometown deal with Jack as being quite possible, but if DA cashes in big time, it means that the acquiring team views him as being durable enough to merit the bucks. I think he still he's a decent bet to remain a Ram. I'm in the "reckless group" for what it's worth.

Any guesses as to which team might take the plunge? My guess is the Pats if Welker leaves NE. J-Mac is familiar with Danny as well.
    I agree, I think that New England will either try to sign DA or draft Tavon Austin to fill Welker's spot

RealRam is offline Registered User

Welker - Amendola potential scenarios
    ...Assuming DA were not as fragile, reckless, or unlucky (great poll BTW).

Danny Amendola Offers Patriots Reliable, Productive Slot Receiver
    if Wes Welker Doesn’t Return

By Luke Hughes / NESN
    Wed, Feb 20, 2013; 11:10 pm.

Wes Welker is in the midst of yet another contract stalemate with the Patriots this offseason, only this dispute could bring about change.

The two sides tangoed once last year with the franchise tag ultimately being slapped on the perennial Pro Bowl wideout. The Patriots seem uninterested in paying Welker the 20 percent markup over last year’s $9.5 million — about $11.4 million — with another tag and no real progress made on an extension, making free agency look more likely every day.

Fortunately for Tom Brady, there are a number of premier wide receivers set to hit the market and among them is a Welker clone.

Danny Amendola has long been compared to Welker. From his college career at Texas Tech — also Welker’s alma meter — to his undersized frame (5-foot-11, 185 pounds) and his primary role as a possession receiver, the comparisons are endless. Now, with Welker headed for the exit, Amendola could draw another parallel as Brady’s new favorite target.

Brady has relied on Welker more than any other Patriots receiver over the past five seasons, targeting him 156 times per season, and will likely continue focusing the passing attack around whoever is manning the slot. Amendola has proven he’s more than capable of handling such responsibilities, first with 85 catches on 123 targets in 2010 and again with 63 grabs on 101 targets in 2012. It’s also important to note that was done with Sam Bradford in the forever forsaken Rams offense.

So, production shouldn’t be an issue in switching over to Amendola in the slot. His addition would also add value for the Patriots, as that similar production would come at around $4-to-$5 million per year instead of the near $10 million Welker made last season.

The big question mark associated in the change would be Amendola’s health. After two strong seasons to begin his career, playing in 30 of a possible 32 games, the 27-year-old receiver has fallen victim to the injuries. Over the past two seasons, Amendola has only managed to play in 12 of the possible 32 games for the Rams. Comparatively, the soon-to-be 32-year-old Welker has missed just three games in his entire eight-year NFL career. So, durability will be a definite concern.

Looking past the potential injured reserve visits, however, Amendola has all the makings of a capable and productive receiver in this offense. His reception-to-target ratio (63 percent) in 2012 wasn’t quite as high as Welker’s (69 percent), but in his four-year career he’s caught 67 percent of his targets which is closer in line with the 71 percent Welker’s hauled in over the past four seasons. So, with Brady, not Bradford, throwing him passes, Amendola should see a steady increase on that front, too.

Losing a player with the talent and passion of Welker isn’t easy for any franchise, but business is business and value is value. The Patriots don’t make emotional moves, and as much as Welker is emotionally attached to this franchise forever, they won’t compromise their future for an older receiver with double the salary.

Amendola isn’t Welker right now, and he may never be, but he is younger, quicker, nearly as productive and comes at a significant enough discount.

Just like Gerry Bertier, there’s no replacing a Wes Welker. But Amendola does possess Welker-like abilities and is probably the highest quality replacement the Patriots will find. There is no ideal way to end such a productive relationship, but making a swap like this would definitely be the most effective way to move forward.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-21-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Intro and bold

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    beautiful women flock to me like the salmon of Capistrano!!!
    LOL as beer comes out my nose, picturing the ladies swimming upstream returning to their homeland.
    "The horror"

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    LOL as beer comes out my nose, picturing the ladies swimming upstream returning to their homeland.
    Something like... The Salmon of Capistrano

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think all three apply to danny boy. He really is a mix of all 3, with reckless winning the race with a photo finish.

By the way I don't see why NE wouldnt give Amendola 6.5/7 per year. He isn't worth that much, but he is pretty much Wes Welker. Why not get a new Wes for a few mill cheaper. Heck 5 mill cheaper if you consider Welkers new required f-tag.

I don't see the pats splurging on a Jennings, Wallace or Bowe type.
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -02-22-2013 at 07:06 AM.

kman is offline Registered User

He has been unlucky..Id feel worse about it, if he kept injuring his legs(knees, ankles, hammy's), but all his injuries were upper body that were kinda just bad luck..shoulder , elbow..i thnk its imperative we bring him back..i think 5 million a yr is fair for both sides

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    He has been unlucky..Id feel worse about it, if he kept injuring his legs(knees, ankles, hammy's), but all his injuries were upper body that were kinda just bad luck..shoulder , elbow..i thnk its imperative we bring him back..i think 5 million a yr is fair for both sides
    I'd definitely give him 5 mil a year, but I doubt he'd take it. I think his agent will push for a contract upwards of 6 or 7 mil a year, which is way out of our price range

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123