r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Danny Amendola Hopes Solid Season Has Cemented Spot

Danny Amendola hopes solid season has cemented spot
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/02/2010

The Rams' leading ground gainer this season is

No, it's not Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson, who has piled up 1,675 yards (1,353 rushing and 322 receiving).

Danny Amendola has Jackson beat by a lot.

Amendola has gobbled up 2,100 yards of real estate 1,507 on 61 kickoff returns (both franchise records), 287 on 26 punt returns, 308 on 40 receptions, and minus 2 on three carries.

He's amassed those numbers in just 13 games since the Rams signed him off Philadelphia's practice squad Sept. 22. And he has one more chance, Sunday's season finale against visiting San Francisco, to add to them.

The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Texas Tech product, who joined the Eagles as an undrafted rookie, has taken a pounding. But he isn't complaining.

"I'm definitely sore," he acknowledged Friday after the team's last full practice of the season. "That's what the NFL's all about. You play 16 games, and it's a grind. But that's what the people want to see, and it's fun."

Amendola has been effective on returns, with solid averages of 24.7 yards on kickoffs and 11.0 yards on punts. That came as no surprise, coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

"We certainly knew that he was a good returner," he said. "I think he's really surfaced as a guy we rely on in the pass game a little bit. He finds ways to get open."

Only Jackson (51) and fellow wide receiver Donnie Avery (45) have more catches than Amendola.

"I could have done some better things, but I've definitely improved since I first stepped on the field at receiver when I got here," he said. "You've got to give credit to the coaching staff for helping me do so."

Asked whether he felt that he carved out a spot for himself on the team, Amendola said, "In a way, yeah. I definitely feel like I got a lot of experience, which has helped me a lot. But ... I've got a job to lose, and I'm going to try to go all out" to prevent that.

PRIDE OF RAYTOWN

Another undrafted rookie the Rams have eight on their 53-man roster will get his first start Sunday, and he'll have plenty of friends and family members here to witness it.

"I'll have a nice little support huddle in the stands," said Roger Allen, who will line up at left guard in place of the injured Mark Setterstrom. Allen hails from the Kansas City suburb of Raytown, and his phone has been ringing all week.

"I'm sure even more will be calling up with ticket requests," he said. "I bought a few in advance."

Allen, an NCAA Division II All-American at Missouri Western State, was among the inactives for the first 13 games. He saw his first action last Sunday, after Setterstrom tore his left triceps late in the first half.

This week, Allen worked almost exclusively with the first unit. "I'm pretty excited," he said. "But I just try not to think about it too much, because that's when the nerves kick in. I try to think of it as just another game."

NULL HOPES TO START

Spagnuolo still isn't budging on announcing his quarterback choice, but rookie Keith Null took all but a couple of reps with the first team Friday. It would be a shock if he didn't make his fourth start in a row Sunday.

Admittedly disappointed in his play last week in a 31-10 defeat at Arizona, Null is eager to make amends.

"That's definitely what I want to do. I want to have another chance to get out there and end the year on a good note," he said. "Really, for this whole team to end on a good note, go out there and get a win this last game."

INJURY REPORT

Jackson (back) and defensive Leonard Little (knee) sat out practice Friday and were listed as questionable on the injury report. Linebacker Paris Lenon (toe) did light work and also was questionable.

Limited Friday but listed as probable were wide receiver Donnie Avery (thigh), linebacker James Laurinaitis (knee) and defensive end Chris Long (hamstring). Tackle Jason Smith (concussion) is doubtful, and cornerback Quincy Butler (knee, ankle) is out.

RAM-BLINGS

The NFL fined rookie defensive tackle Darell Scott $5,000 for his roughing-the-passer penalty on Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner. The ***** have prevailed in their last three meetings with the Rams, including a 35-0 spanking Oct. 4 at Candlestick Park. Frisco has 15 takeaways in its last three games.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Re: Danny Amendola Hopes Solid Season Has Cemented Spot

If it were up to me, Danny has a spot down for sure. The dude has won me over this season and I'm even contemplating making a custom Amendola sweatshirt. More importantly though, he's shown his worth both as a kick and punt returner plus he's been a viable 3rd down target.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    If it were up to me, Danny has a spot down for sure. The dude has won me over this season and I'm even contemplating making a custom Amendola sweatshirt. More importantly though, he's shown his worth both as a kick and punt returner plus he's been a viable 3rd down target.
    definantly... he'd be a perfect fit for us next year especially considering his ability to have a effect on Special Teams...

macrammer is offline Registered User

I love tis kid and is one of the few brights spots in a very dreary season....

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Amendola represents the grit and tenacity needed to turn this thing around; a guy who gets the most out of his ability. Hopefully he improves yet again and turns into an even better option.