Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Danny Amendola: Injury "prone"?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Danny Amendola: Injury "prone"?

Every time I hear that Amendola is "injury prone", it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. The silliness of that statement just crawls all over me. It's simple (or maybe simplistic) to look at his games missed over the past two years, and pull out the "injury prone" rubber stamp. But can anybody honestly say that these injuries are indicative of his future?

Let's take a look at his injuries:

2011 - torn triceps - season ending
    2012 - broken clavicle - 3 games
    2012 - minor foot injury - 2 games

After all 3 of these unrelated, non-recurrent injuries, Amendola came back 100%. Which is exactly how he ended the season.

To say that a torn triceps, broken clavicle, and minor foot injury are indicative of Amendola's inability to stay on the field in the future (ie. don't sign him, he's "injury prone") would have to say he's going down in 2013 with a concussion, or ACL, or broken wrist.......something completely unrelated to his other injuries.

He may be the unluckiest player on the roster. But "injury prone"? That's just silly.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Danny Amendola: Injury "prone"?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Every time I hear that Amendola is "injury prone", it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. The silliness of that statement just crawls all over me. It's simple (or maybe simplistic) to look at his games missed over the past two years, and pull out the "injury prone" rubber stamp. But can anybody honestly say that these injuries are indicative of his future?

Let's take a look at his injuries:

2011 - torn triceps - season ending
    2012 - broken clavicle - 3 games
    2012 - minor foot injury - 2 games

After all 3 of these unrelated, non-recurrent injuries, Amendola came back 100%. Which is exactly how he ended the season.

To say that a torn triceps, broken clavicle, and minor foot injury are indicative of Amendola's inability to stay on the field in the future (ie. don't sign him, he's "injury prone") would have to say he's going down in 2013 with a concussion, or ACL, or broken wrist.......something completely unrelated to his other injuries.

He may be the unluckiest player on the roster. But "injury prone"? That's just silly.
    I actually consider injury prone and unlucky the same. Some guys don't have recurring injuries, but seem to always be hurt. JD Drew in baseball was one. It was always a new injury, but he simply could not make it through a whole season without getting hurt. Carlo Colaicovo in the NHL is another. Every year he was guaranteed a trip to the DL (Went after 1 game this year), even though he was never reinjuring something.

I feel more confident in players that are injury prone because they are unlucky than ones with say balky knees like Danario. Not sure it changes the injury prone label for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I actually consider injury prone and unlucky the same. Some guys don't have recurring injuries, but seem to always be hurt. JD Drew in baseball was one. It was always a new injury, but he simply could not make it through a whole season without getting hurt. Carlo Colaicovo in the NHL is another. Every year he was guaranteed a trip to the DL (Went after 1 game this year), even though he was never reinjuring something.

I feel more confident in players that are injury prone because they are unlucky than ones with say balky knees like Danario. Not sure it changes the injury prone label for me though.
    So then to have injuries in 2 consecutive years is unlucky/injury-prone?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So then to have injuries in 2 consecutive years is unlucky/injury-prone?
    To have three injuries in back to back year is a trend. He may never miss another game but when it comes to signing a long term deal at a fairly large amount of money, it has to be factored in IMO.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    To have three injuries in back to back year is a trend. He may never miss another game but when it comes to signing a long term deal at a fairly large amount of money, it has to be factored in IMO.
    Of course its going to be a factor when it comes to money, but it doesn't mean that he is "injury prone". Obviously the FO is going to use that to their advantage, but it may cost them a great player who's put everything on the line for this team, and has been unlucky. When he tears his acl 3 times, or has multiple concussions, that's when I'll consider him a detriment rather than an asset.
    HUbison likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Of course its going to be a factor when it comes to money, but it doesn't mean that he is "injury prone". Obviously the FO is going to use that to their advantage, but it may cost them a great player who's put everything on the line for this team, and has been unlucky. When he tears his acl 3 times, or has multiple concussions, that's when I'll consider him a detriment rather than an asset.
    The point is, it really does not matter how anyone categorizes it, "injury prone" or " unlucky." The issue is the time missed. As berg8309 pointed out a guy can just be snake bitten. If they add up to too much down time then it's a problem. If Amendola is just unlucky then it's still an issue.

I look at the trend and that tells me he misses a lot of time.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.

When he tears his acl 3 times, or has multiple concussions, that's when I'll consider him a detriment rather than an asset.
    By the way, for an RG3 supporter that you have shown to be in the past. RG3 has had two concussions within a year and is on his second ACL. Just sayin you might want to rethink your RG3 position.

Now back to the topic sorry Hub

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You misunderstand, HUb...

The people who call Danny or other players "injury prone" do so because they are among the few people privy to medical reports that revealed that those players have poor bone density or tendons and ligaments with low tensile strength. As a result, these individuals are, in fact, more prone to injury than average human beings.

If they were not privy to such information, they would just be generalizing based upon past events that that resulted from the confluence of multiple variables, most of which haviving no connection to an indiviual's particular level of susceptibility to bone and tissue damage. That would be plain silly, so clearly that is not what's going on here.

Glad I could clear that up for you.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You misunderstand, HUb...

The people who call Danny or other players "injury prone" do so because they are among the few people privy to medical reports that revealed that those players have poor bone density or tendons and ligaments with low tensile strength. As a result, these individuals are, in fact, more prone to injury than average human beings.

If they were not privy to such information, they would just be generalizing based upon past events that that resulted from the confluence of multiple variables, most of which haviving no connection to an indiviual's particular level of susceptibility to bone and tissue damage. That would be plain silly, so clearly that is not what's going on here.

Glad I could clear that up for you.
    I somewhat disagree. With a guy like Danario Alexander, I don't need his medical reports to know that that many surgeries to one knee will deteriorate it and could make the knee problematic down the road. Heck, it was problematic here. It needs fairly frequent attention just to maintain it. Players with multiple concussions are also more likely to be hurt again.

That is a fairly confined set of people though with more identifial problems than Danny has. For most players, they are probably just snake-bitten, as one poster said. Some guys just can't catch a break, and even though you can't predict their injuries, I'd still refer to them as injury prone until they stay healthy for a while. Right now I'd refer to Danny as injury prone, and I wouldn't want a long term deal for him in place. Although, as you may be able to tell from my avatar, I do want him back.

I somewhat disagree. With a guy like Danario Alexander, I don't need his medical reports to know that that many surgeries to one knee will deteriorate it and could make the knee problematic down the road. Heck, it was problematic here. It needs fairly frequent attention just to maintain it. Players with multiple concussions are also more likely to be hurt again.
    Those players fall into the category of "injury not fully healed," as opposed to "injury prone."

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Those players fall into the category of "injury not fully healed," as opposed to "injury prone."
    Multiple injuries to one part of the body can cause that part to become injury prone even after it has reached healed as fully as it can. Stuff just deteriorates and becomes more likely to be injured. Injuring something in the first place can deteriorate it prematurely. Unless you mean that as bodies deteriorate they are injured but not fully healed, which is true of everyone.

Multiple injuries to one part of the body can cause that part to become injury prone even after it has reached healed as fully as it can.
    True, but irrelevant.

HUb is not talking about a player, like Danario Alexander, who clearly is playing on a knee that will never be fully healed, and is therefore more likely to cause him trouble.

He's talking about a guy like Danny Amendola, who had three injuries to three different part of his body, all of which are reportedly fully healed. To call a player like that "injury prone" because he has been injured on multiple occasions is simply not an fair characterization (again, unless you possess the type of medical records I described in my obviously sarcastic post above).

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think Danny was our best playmaker besides maybe SJ, but you can't ignore how much playing time he missed. To wonder how much time Danny is going to spend on the DL based on previous history is not a waste of time. Perhaps someone could be considered injury prone because of a combination of factors. Perhaps Danny is a relatively small guy playing a type of football that makes him more likely to become injured. He goes of the middle of the field on 3rd down and doesn't shy away from a hit many times. He will fight for extra yards and take more hits than maybe he should.

The fact is, every team interested is going to closely look at his injury history and wonder if he is injury prone. Its not a point that requires condesending sarcasm, but rather a point of logic based on available information. Some people on this forum are so full of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I think Danny was our best playmaker besides maybe SJ, but you can't ignore how much playing time he missed.
    That's the whole point. We absolutely CAN ignore how much playing time he has missed. Because he specifically missed time for completely unrelated injuries. None of his injuries has resurfaced.

Triceps? Fine.
    Clavicle? Fine.
    Foot? Fine.

There is absolutely zero credibility to the line of thinking that equates his injuries over the past two years to his probability of staying on the field in the future.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I disagree. You need to read my post more closely. His injury history could easily be a result of his playstyle. It is something teams will investigate fully.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast