Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Darian Stewart

Will51 is offline Registered User

Darian Stewart

I don't know about everybody else, but everytime I watch him play he is constantly laking a big hit on somebody or making a tackle in the backfield. I rewatched some games and he literally lays the hammer to people. he shoots through the hole like a bullet and makes good tackles. Yes, occasionally he wiffs on a tackle or is not in the right spot, but who doesnt? I always hear the announcers speak highly of him. I like his style of play and I want to see him as a starting safety next year. He's a young second year player who will only get better

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Darian Stewart

I agree this guy is a positive. Our defense really isn't too bad. We need a big DT and an athletic OLB. That with some youth in CB , should give us a serviceable defensive foundation.

The offensive line OT/C/G WR/RB is the 5 areas that kill us.....
    fearsome foursome likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I agree this guy is a positive. Our defense really isn't too bad. We need a big DT and an athletic OLB. That with some youth in CB , should give us a serviceable defensive foundation.

The offensive line OT/C/G WR/RB is the 5 areas that kill us.....
    You forgot TE, back-up TE, QB, back-up QB, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, GM, Special Teams Coach, and the Trainer.

All those areas need upgraded play, or upgraded replacements.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You forgot TE, back-up TE, QB, back-up QB, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, GM, Special Teams Coach, and the Trainer.

All those areas need upgraded play, or upgraded replacements.
    Pretty much half our offense and our coaching staff in a nutshell.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Stewart is a serviceable starter for the Rams. On a better team, he'd probably be a sub-package or situational player, but for this team, I think he's definitely an improvement over Craig Dahl and is good enough to allow the Rams to focus their attention at another position.

How so? He's a second year player who won a starting spot and he has caught the attention of numerous announcers who cover the games. He also has a pick six, a couple sacks and he's improving in coverage

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Stewart is actually doing a much better job than any of you are giving him credit for. First off, he was an undrafted rookie last year, so he has had to fight his way onto rosters the last two years. Second, early in the season, Stewart started calling all of the secondary's coverages and audibles. Mikell was given that job to start the season, but it was found that Stewart did just as well, if not better than Mikell, and it then released Mikell to just play instinctively. Of course, this all means that he's more than just a part time starter, he's a full time starter and one of the call makers of our defense.
    I believe!

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Stewart is a serviceable starter for the Rams. On a better team, he'd probably be a sub-package or situational player, but for this team, I think he's definitely an improvement over Craig Dahl and is good enough to allow the Rams to focus their attention at another position.
    Hi Nick,

I have agree with you for NOW but the thing I see with Stewart is his upside and improvement week to week.

He seems very good at adjusting and if coached right, could become a star in this league. I mean, why not us? Why can't we finally hit on a UDFA? He has been one of the few bright spots for me in this disaster of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Hi Nick,I have agree with you for NOW but the thing I see with Stewart is his upside and improvement week to week. He seems very good at adjusting and if coached right, could become a star in this league. I mean, why not us? Why can't we finally hit on a UDFA? He has been one of the few bright spots for me in this disaster of a season.
    I agree. The thing i can't get over is how much he reminds me of a healthy bob sanders. Go watch his college highlights and look at the potential. He swarms the hole and nails the ball carrier relentlessly
    THOLTFAN81 and TekeRam like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Every week this kids showing improvement. His potential is amazing. Right now hes playing at a high level. Big hits, nice coverage, great tackler, smart and instinctive player. Looks like we've found a huge gem. Im looking to see him in the pro bowl next year.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I like him. Give me a defense of Quinns, Laurinitis's, Longs, and Stewarts and we've got something special.
    Last edited by Chris58; -12-20-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: grammar
    TekeRam likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Stewart has been a pleasant surprise this year. He really needs to improve in coverage to be a complete safety, but he's been a big improvement over Craig Dahl(who is as bad as Justin King in coverage) or still-on-the-roster-and-really-bad James Butler. Or Corey Chavous before them.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Hi Nick,

I have agree with you for NOW but the thing I see with Stewart is his upside and improvement week to week.

He seems very good at adjusting and if coached right, could become a star in this league. I mean, why not us? Why can't we finally hit on a UDFA? He has been one of the few bright spots for me in this disaster of a season.
    He's certainly improved through the season, but how much upside and star potential an undrafted free agent has is anyone's guess. Furthermore, it seems like Stewart was selected specifically for Spagnuolo's defense, so much so that the Rams opted not to re-sign Atogwe because they felt Dahl/Stewart could get the job done. If Spags leave and a slightly different system is brought to the Rams, Stewart's effectiveness may be compromised as he may not be talented enough to function as well when asked to do different things. Either way, it's a wait-and-see approach, but I think he's played well enough to hold down that job and allow the Rams to spend their time and resources elsewhere.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He's certainly improved through the season, but how much upside and star potential an undrafted free agent has is anyone's guess. Furthermore, it seems like Stewart was selected specifically for Spagnuolo's defense, so much so that the Rams opted not to re-sign Atogwe because they felt Dahl/Stewart could get the job done. If Spags leave and a slightly different system is brought to the Rams, Stewart's effectiveness may be compromised as he may not be talented enough to function as well when asked to do different things. Either way, it's a wait-and-see approach, but I think he's played well enough to hold down that job and allow the Rams to spend their time and resources elsewhere.
    He's a safety. In Spags scheme a safety is a safety. In some one else's system he may have to specialize as a SS or FS. Personally I think he fits the SS role right now, but that could change if he continues to progress in the coverage area. I don't understand it when people put limits on a guy just because he is an UFA. Some folks fly under the radar; some a late bloomers. At any rate, he's playing as good as anyone on a defense that isn't as bad as the W-L record shows. If nothing else this lousy team has done, it's allowed a few no-names to get some playing time and we may have just found a few nuggets as this team tries to climb out of the depths of despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I don't understand it when people put limits on a guy just because he is an UFA.
    I didn't put limits on him; I simply said how much upside the guy has is anybody's guess.

I doubt the 32 NFL franchises that passed on him in the draft thought he'd become a starter in this league, so clearly they were off when gauging his upside. I certainly think it's possible fans may be as well, especially when we start writing things like "star in the making" or "potential Pro Bowler" in our collective dream books.

Kidding aside, I agree that Stewart has improved this season to the point of becoming a serviceable starter for this team. Safety is one spot the Rams shouldn't have to worry too much about going into next season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast