Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Daryl Richardson

dallas_tex is offline Registered User

Re: Daryl Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    there's no reason that even if Richardson becomes our top back Pead can't play a large role in the offense. I'd honestly rather have two good backs sharing the load than a feature back.

It's way too early to judge Pead. If we gave up on every rookie after 2 games 99% of the NFL would be out of a job.
    As a Texan fan (and former Oiler fan) I have been watching Fisher, so first, congratulations, I think you're going to have one hell of a team built here.

We have two RB's in Houston whom you may have heard of in Foster and Ben Tate. As much as we love it, there is a problem with switching between RB's to share workload. Everyone in Houston wants to work Tate more since we have Foster signed to 40 Mil and 5 years (why risk injury), and we know we won't be able to afford to keep Tate. However, if we don't feed the ball to Foster enough, he doesn't get hot. I'm not sure if SJax has the same issue, but if he does he may not be as effective if you're "spelling him" with Richardson every other play. - Again, I don't watch SJax as much as I would like, so this may be a non-issue here.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_tex View Post
    As a Texan fan (and former Oiler fan) I have been watching Fisher, so first, congratulations, I think you're going to have one hell of a team built here.

We have two RB's in Houston whom you may have heard of in Foster and Ben Tate. As much as we love it, there is a problem with switching between RB's to share workload. Everyone in Houston wants to work Tate more since we have Foster signed to 40 Mil and 5 years (why risk injury), and we know we won't be able to afford to keep Tate. However, if we don't feed the ball to Foster enough, he doesn't get hot. I'm not sure if SJax has the same issue, but if he does he may not be as effective if you're "spelling him" with Richardson every other play. - Again, I don't watch SJax as much as I would like, so this may be a non-issue here.
    The exact same issue with us my friend. SJ needs a few carries to get warmed up, and he continues to get better and better as the game goes on. Its tough to get all the guys their carries, but its a better position to be in rather than not having any RB's.

THE DREAM TEAM

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The exact same issue with us my friend. SJ needs a few carries to get warmed up, and he continues to get better and better as the game goes on. Its tough to get all the guys their carries, but its a better position to be in rather than not having any RB's.
    that's why you leave guys in for an entire series rather than rotating them or something like that.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Stay strong & healthy young man, work closely with Mr. Jackson and your coaches ... grow and succeed.

We need you DR.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-19-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Picture
    ManofGod and jsimcox like this.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

I don't want to create another thread, so I quote this message on that one.

From Rotoworld Evan Silva :

"Chatter has picked up again of impressive rookie Daryl Richardson making a move on Steven Jackson's starting job. After watching the Week 6 Dolphins-Rams game, I can say confidently that Richardson won't be St. Louis' starter barring S-Jax injury. While Jackson continues to run at a much higher level than his fantasy scoring suggests, Richardson is settling in as an exciting, but limited change-of-pace back. Richardson gained 88 of his 99 yards against Miami on toss sweeps and screens, which accounted for six of his 13 touches. He netted 11 yards on the other seven. Richardson brings a backfield speed element that St. Louis hasn't had in years, but I think his increased Week 6 role was part of a game plan-specific strategy to attack a top-five run defense on the edges. I'd be wary of chasing Richardson's last-week stats into Week 7, and I wonder if he possesses the physicality and inside running chops to make it as a long-term feature back. He only broke one tackle all game at Miami. ... Jackson again looked awesome against the Dolphins. He made unblocked defenders miss and ran with decisive ferocity inside. Jackson lost three yards on a first-quarter carry when RE Jared Odrick knifed into the backfield and had a physical, eight-yard second-quarter run called back by penalty. St. Louis' anemic offense and the offensive line's consistent inability to win at the point of attack are clearly working against Jackson, but his sheer run skills have not declined. I like S-Jax as an RB2 play against Green Bay's No. 17 run defense."
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Daryl Richardson

Thank you finally someone makes rw great observation on SJ39!!! When we have average to below average interior lineman it is hard for an inside runner to be effective.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    I don't want to create another thread, so I quote this message on that one.

From Rotoworld Evan Silva :

"Chatter has picked up again of impressive rookie Daryl Richardson making a move on Steven Jackson's starting job. After watching the Week 6 Dolphins-Rams game, I can say confidently that Richardson won't be St. Louis' starter barring S-Jax injury. While Jackson continues to run at a much higher level than his fantasy scoring suggests, Richardson is settling in as an exciting, but limited change-of-pace back. Richardson gained 88 of his 99 yards against Miami on toss sweeps and screens, which accounted for six of his 13 touches. He netted 11 yards on the other seven. Richardson brings a backfield speed element that St. Louis hasn't had in years, but I think his increased Week 6 role was part of a game plan-specific strategy to attack a top-five run defense on the edges. I'd be wary of chasing Richardson's last-week stats into Week 7, and I wonder if he possesses the physicality and inside running chops to make it as a long-term feature back. He only broke one tackle all game at Miami. ... Jackson again looked awesome against the Dolphins. He made unblocked defenders miss and ran with decisive ferocity inside. Jackson lost three yards on a first-quarter carry when RE Jared Odrick knifed into the backfield and had a physical, eight-yard second-quarter run called back by penalty. St. Louis' anemic offense and the offensive line's consistent inability to win at the point of attack are clearly working against Jackson, but his sheer run skills have not declined. I like S-Jax as an RB2 play against Green Bay's No. 17 run defense."
    I don't see SJ losing his starting job... but to call Richardson limited change-of-pace back. Is just wrong. Richardson is much stronger then he appears and has often moved the pile once he as been hit. Richardson is a home run threat every time he touches the ball IMO. Sure you want to get him in space but he has proven he can run between the tackles. At one point last week the announcers said Richardson looks to be a better runner between the tackles the SJ, I don't agree but that's what he was seeing.

Next year I could see Richardson, Pead and Terrance Ganaway as our backs. We have FOUR backs on the roster right now and two of them are doing most of the work load. We are not carrying four just as an insurance policy, the Rams really liked Terrance Ganaway in the draft had him on their board. I bet if his was not drafted before by the Jets we may have never got Richardson.

Terrance Ganaway
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 240
    College:
    Baylor
    Experience:
    R

I want to see Ganaway at some point this year get a few touches. I don't see us drafting a RB next year.

He enrolled at Baylor in 2009 and saw time as a back-up as a sophomore, finishing with 200 yards on 68 carries (2.9) and 5 scores. Ganaway was again a reserve in 2010 as a junior, recording 295
    yards on 46 rushes (6.4) and 2 scores. He had his best season in 2011 as a senior starter (12 starts), finishing with a conference-best 1,547 yards on 250 carries (6.2) and 21 touchdowns, earning First Team All-Big 12 honors. Ganaway has good size with a powerful, filled-out frame, but needs a few steps to reach his top-end speed ? strong, one-cut downhill runner with build-up speed. He has a sketchy background, but showed consistent improvement throughout his career and earned his way ? mature and football-focused. Despite a highly productive senior season, Ganaway looks like nothing more than a short-yardage back with limited burst and speed to do much past the line of scrimmage ? a mid-to-late round draft choice who needs to stay balanced and run with consistent power to hold down a roster spot in the NFL.

Strengths: Thickly-put-together throughout his frame and runs with power, showing the leg drive to push the pile. Runs balanced and close to the ground with the natural strength to stay on his feet through contact as defenders slip off of him ? load to tackle and easily runs through arm tackles. Has good vision to find the hole and get north/south. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality. Does a nice job picking up the blitz and using his frame to impede rushers. Earned the starting running back job as a senior and made the most of his opportunity, leading the Big 12
    in rushing and finishing third in the NCAA with 21 rush scores ? finished the season with six 100+ yard and three 200+ yard performances. Has good bloodlines as the nephew of former NFL defensive lineman Jeremiah Trotter. Weaknesses: Poor acceleration and takes too long to get up to full speed ? a slow starter with little burst to his game. Too hesitant when the hole isn?t there and wastes time running laterally. Tight-hipped and doesn?t show much wiggle or open-field shiftiness. Stops his feet too quickly and needs to consistently keep his legs moving through contact. Not overly physical for his size and won?t run over defenders ? doesn?t break enough tackles. Will run with inconsistent pad level at times and struggle to get through the line of scrimmage at the next level. Needs to watch his weight and stay conditioned. Has limited experience catching the ball out of the backfield and needs to improve his technique in pass protection. NFL Comparison: Isaac Redman, Pittsburgh Steelers -- Dane Brugler
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

IMO, unless Jackson is hampered by a lingering injury, he should be getting the bulk of the carries, with Richardson doing situational duty. If you're going to do running back by commitee, put both guys in the backfield and make the defense try to adjust.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than watching Jackson stand on sideline for several series at a time. If it has to do with an injury, fine, if not, I don't think it serves the Rams best interest to keep him from getting into a rhythm.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like what I see from Richardson, but I'm still hoping Pead will make an impact eventually.
    What I am wondering is why the Rams have Jenkins returning punts with Pead warming the bench. They are dressing Pead, so why not have him return punts? All we need is for J.J. to get hurt, or fumble again.

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    He reminds me more of Chris Johnson than SJ. Things were going pretty well for Jackson until the groin strain, so I see no reason to change him being the starter. Let Richardson continue to learn the ropes from the back up spot - his time will come.
    I said the same a short while back. Daryl has that sudden explosiveness that Johnson displayed early in his career and perhaps still does - I don't watch much of the Titans. We've only seen Richardson in a few games, I can't help but wonder what we will be saying in three years. Is it possible he may turn out to be the best player the Rams selected in the 2012 draft, ahead of Brockers and Quick?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    IMO, unless Jackson is hampered by a lingering injury, he should be getting the bulk of the carries, with Richardson doing situational duty. If you're going to do running back by commitee, put both guys in the backfield and make the defense try to adjust.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than watching Jackson stand on sideline for several series at a time. If it has to do with an injury, fine, if not, I don't think it serves the Rams best interest to keep him from getting into a rhythm.
    I don't mind SJ giving up a series or two... SJ was asked if he was mad about it and he said have you seen what Richardson is doing when he is in there. Fisher said he would like SJ to get the bulk of the carries. I like the combination over SJ just pounding it alone.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I must say (minus the fumble), Daryl Richardson looked very good. Even in week 1 he had those two 10 yard carries. Isiah Pead has dropped off the planet, hope he makes a comeback and lives up to his hype. Meanwhile, Daryl Richardson has really taken to that backup role we are looking for.

It has only been 2 weeks, but hope he keeps it up. Hope Pead steps up to his hype too, which could mean we have trade bait at running back
    I guess you can say we have Thunder (jax) Lighting (Rich) and Rain (Pead) cuz all he does is drop from the depth charts

But yes Richardson is a great surprise but we should not start him...Jax is the starter and Richardson's runs are making Jax more effective a healthy split in the carries will help both players and benefit our passing game

But all in all Jax should get the goal line carries (all of them)
    Judaxi likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I like the combination over SJ just pounding it alone.
    I like the combination as well, but not at the expense of Jackson getting lost in the flow of the game.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I doubt very much Richardson will unseat Jackson any time soon. Strictly due to Jackson's standing as a leader in the locker room, and on the field. Richardson is no doubt playing the better football at the moment, though.
    He puts way more stress on the opposition every time he carries the ball. Simply because he can score every time he has the ball in his hands. Over the course of the season, Im banking on Pead and Richardson being worked more and more into the line up. Jackson has been an animal of a back in St.Louis, and I'll never forget him. But its time this offense started evolving for the future. Youth needs to be served.!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123