Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Daryl vs. Trent Richardson

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Daryl vs. Trent Richardson

With all of the Trent Richardson news, I heard a couple of facts and got me thinking.... The first and last RB drafted in 2012 were named Richardson. Trent (now with the Colts) and our Daryl. Through 2 games, here are the stats.

Trent- 31 carries, 105 yards. 7 receptions 51 yards = 156 total yards.
    Daryl- 30 carries, 98 yards. 10 receptions 78 yards = 176 total yards.

I know, 2 games is a small sample size, but I think it shows what Daryl is capable of and he could end up being one of the best values in a long time. The averages of the yards per carry and yards per reception are eerily similar.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Daryl vs. Trent Richardson

It doesn't really show anything. Cleveland weren't using him and their thought is a RB isn't important in their offensive scheme. Which is why they gave him up. No disrespect to Daryl, but Trent is a way better RB, which is why they got a 1st round pick for him. I Love Daryl but I wish we had Trent.
    Torry Holt, Judaxi and ljcrayton like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    It doesn't really show anything. Cleveland weren't using him and their thought is a RB isn't important in their offensive scheme. Which is why they gave him up. No disrespect to Daryl, but Trent is a way better RB, which is why they got a 1st round pick for him. I Love Daryl but I wish we had Trent.
    Unfortunately I doubt the Rams could have found a way to work Trich and his $6.6mil salary under the salary cap, otherwise I'm sure they would have explored the trade.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I don't buy that at all. Norv is the OC and last I checked LT and Emmitt played a huge part in the offensive scheme.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Me thinks Browns are throwing the season away to get Johnny Manziel.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    I know, 2 games is a small sample size, but I think it shows what Daryl is capable of
    Mediocrity? Because that's what those numbers look like.

The difference is that Trent has the physical ability to be much better than what his production indicated in Cleveland, which is likely why the Colts went all in on him now.

We don't know if we can say the same about Daryl, but it's promising that he's been able to hold down the starting job and show flashes at times. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Unfortunately I doubt the Rams could have found a way to work Trich and his $6.6mil salary under the salary cap, otherwise I'm sure they would have explored the trade.
    Richardson's salary in 2013 is $1.32 million. And Cleveland is on the hook for his pro-rated bonus hit, so his cap hit for Indy won't be much more than his salary.

Quoting Howard Balzer in a discussion about this, he said the Rams have plenty of room. But it sounds like the Browns were the ones who initiated the trade talks, so who knows if they reached out to St. Louis or if the Rams would even listen.

Since the Rams opted to deal with the Redskins and not Cleveland back in the RGIII sweepstakes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns weren't inclined to call the Rams with an offer in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    I don't buy that at all. Norv is the OC and last I checked LT and Emmitt played a huge part in the offensive scheme.
    Norv is under an offensive minded head coach in Rob Chudzinski, and according to Jay Glazer, the Browns felt Richardson didn't fit the head coach's offense.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

citr92 is offline Registered User

for the second to last pick in the draft, people are sure hard on daryl...

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    for the second to last pick in the draft, people are sure hard on daryl...
    Maybe you're right. We'll see if anyone trades a first round pick to the Rams for him.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick;4I 0125
    Maybe you're right. We'll see if anyone trades a first round pick to the Rams for him.
    Great point, i do think could get a 5th or 6th rounder for him. That's not to bad for a 7th rounder! (conversely we probably could get the same for Pead).

[QUOTE=Nick;470113]Mediocrity? Because that's what those numbers look like.

The difference is that Trent has the physical ability to be much better than what his production indicated in Cleveland, which is likely why the Colts went all in on him now.

We don't know if we can say the same about Daryl, but it's promising that he's been able to hold down the starting job and show flashes at times. Only time will tell.

Richardson's salary in 2013 is $1.32 million. And Cleveland is on the hook for his pro-rated bonus hit, so his cap hit for Indy won't be much more than his salary.

Quoting Howard Balzer in a discussion about this, he said the Rams have plenty of room. But it sounds like the Browns were the ones who initiated the trade talks, so who knows if they reached out to St. Louis or if the Rams would even listen.

Since the Rams opted to deal with the Redskins and not Cleveland back in the RGIII sweepstakes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns weren't inclined to call the Rams with an offer in this instance.

Norv is under an offensive minded head coach in Rob Chudzinski, and according to Jay Glazer, the Browns felt Richardson didn't fit the head coach's offense.[/QUOTE]

Debating if Trent was a good fit or not was not part of the conversation. This is what I took issue with and responded too.

Cleveland weren't using him and their thought is a RB isn't important in their offensive scheme

It did not state that Trent was not a fit in the system but the RB was not important to their offensive scheme. That is not what I buy.

Debating if Trent was a good fit or not was not part of the conversation. This is what I took issue with and responded too.

Cleveland weren't using him and their thought is a RB isn't important in their offensive scheme

It did not state that Trent was not a fit in the system but the RB was not important to their offensive scheme. That is not what I buy.
    So you find it easier to buy the idea that a Cleveland team devoid of talented playmakers would trade away a former Top 5 pick at a position of importance to the offensive scheme two games into his sophomore season?

Why do you think they traded him if he played a position that is a huge part of their scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So you find it easier to buy the idea that a Cleveland team devoid of talented playmakers would trade away a former Top 5 pick at a position of importance to the offensive scheme two games into his sophomore season?

Why do you think they traded him if he played a position that is a huge part of their scheme?
    Again my point is that the offensive scheme does include the running back position and if you look at the HC and OC style you will find plenty of evidence to support this.

The poster made this statement of Cleveland weren't using him and their thought is a RB isn't important in their offensive scheme

Do you believe this statement to be true?

On to your question. I believe Cleveland had many concerns about Trent Richardson.

1. Is ability to remain healthy and participate in camp
    2. His production has been average and in many cases below average. This year I believe he is averaging about 2 yards a carry.
    3. He has only three 100 yard games in over 17 attempts.
    4. Coaching staff is concern that he has troubles accelerating up the middle and they have made attempts to address this with him with no success.
    5. Some believe the Browns are stock piling picks so they can finally get a franchise quarterback. I believe they have had about 19 different starting QB.s in the last 14 to 15 tears.
    6. Last but not least he is not the new coaching regime draft pick.
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -09-19-2013 at 11:38 PM.

The poster made this statement of Cleveland weren't using him and their thought is a RB isn't important in their offensive scheme

Do you believe this statement to be true?
    I believe it's more likely to be accurate than the notion that the Browns place a high value on the running back position yet dealt a player they traded up to draft third overall only a year ago.

Especially when you consider that, according to Cleveland Plain Dealer beat writer Mary Kay Cabot, the new regime in Cleveland never would have drafted a running back that high.

2. His production has been average and in many cases below average. This year I believe he is averaging about 2 yards a carry.

5. Some believe the Browns are stock piling picks so they can finally get a franchise quarterback. I believe they have had about 19 different starting QB.s in the last 14 to 15 tears.
    Richardson is actually averaging 3.4 yards per carry this season, but regarding these two points, it's pretty clear they aren't mutually exclusive. I'd be surprised if Richardson continued to put up average numbers in a Colts offense that has a legitimate quarterback and passing threat, since defenders have been able to stack the box against him in Cleveland with little to no fear of being burned through the air.

It seems the new regime in Cleveland is pretty irritated that the previous Holmgren regime didn't successfully add a franchise quarterback to the mix, and now are going "all in" on getting one this offseason, even if it means dealing their best offensive player. With two first round picks and some extra Day Two selections, the Browns will have some ammo. But there's no guarantee now in September what's going to be available to choose from in April, not to mention what other teams might be in the mix.

The Browns lost out on Griffin when he was available. It'll be very interesting to see how this trade is viewed next year should they lose out on the top quarterback in 2014, if one be available and we don't see a repeat of this year's situation. Of course, if they succeed in their plan and essentially trade Richardson for a successful franchise quarterback, then it will have been worth it due to the positional importance. But that's a risky roll of the dice to make at this part of the year, and I think it begs the question of how successful that quarterback is going to be with very limited skill position players around him to help.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Skins go 1-15, Browns trade their 1st round picks in 2014, 2015 and 2016 to move up and get Bridgewater.

I can dream.
    HUbison likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Skins go 1-15, Browns trade their 1st round picks in 2014, 2015 and 2016 to move up and get Bridgewater.

I can dream.
    That's just beautiful. All that and the Rams would still have their #32 pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast