Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: David Carr Syndrome my a**

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

David Carr Syndrome my a**

I not a psychiatrist, (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite), but I think this speculation that keeps surfacing, fueled by Jaws' conjecture that Bradford tentativeness in the pocket is due to battered QB syndrome, is a load of crap.

This is how it goes...
    "Even given this, and given that, and given the other thing, and keeping in mind that, and not forgetting that, and blah blah flippin' blah..."
    ...Bradford appeared a little tentative, and seemed unable to anticipate...

Well just maybe, if (and I won't list them here as we all are aware of what transpired last season, as in the planets lining up not in a good way), all that hadn't happened, and he had some receivers, he would have performed differently, if indeed he did play under his abilities.

I watch every minute of every game on every Sunday, and I didn't see it.

Do I have blinders on?

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: David Carr Syndrome my a**

Bradford looked to have some issues in the pocket last year, but battered QB syndrome, I certainly didn't see that. I saw a young QB, still learning the finer points of the position, with a lot of forces working against him.

I have no worries about the abilities of Sam Bradford, none.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Sammy took alot of punishment his 1st two years in the league, ~70 sacks ...

David Carr took 76 sacks ... in his rookie year. and had another 68 sack season a few years later.

From the highlights ive seen and bits and pieces on Sam Bradford, he had growing pains but nothing like a "deer in headlights" syndrome some naysayers conclude.

but he cant keep on taking this sort of punishment year in and year out otherwise he might not fulfil his potential, so looking to see those hurries and sack numbers decrease somewhat this year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

VegasRam,

Alas, I did see some of what Jaworski was referring to last year. Brads did not seem able to anticipate the rush and I am not sure if he has the built in clock in his head that all the good QBs have.

Yeah, I know that he is young and all but this is what I saw, and I'd be lying if I said I was not a little concerned at this point.

I know that Sam has some decent athleticism but he has to be willing to use it and escape the pocket when things start to break down.

Unfortunately, he reminded me a lot of the last ugly years of Mark Bulger when he would just stand there waiting to get hit. Then he would pick himself up off the turf, trudge to the sideline and put his baseball cap on and await the next beating.

Sam is a lot more athletic that Bulger ever was but if he doesn't feel the pressure better and start moving his feet he is going to end up like him. And that is something that worries me.

WHAT SAY YE?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Jaws has a point, getting beat down to the ground on a weekly basis will weaken a QB's play. The question is whether Bradford can rebound from a forgettable season and delete all the habits that come with it, and I have lots of faith in him having a Comeback Player of Year type season in 2012.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It is way too early to diagnose Bradford. He had a promising rookie year followed by a forgettable sophomore campaign, some of which was his own doing, and much of which was beyond his control. To me, two things are certain: One, is that Sam cannot continue to take punishment like he did last season or he will indeed join the legions of other promising guys who never realized their potential. And two, Sam has to perform well this year. As legitimate as many of the variables were that delayed his growth last year, he still nonetheless has to adjust his game to achieve as much success as possible in 2012. Short drops. Accurate reads. Confidence. Whatever it takes. He's not the only QB in history who has had to elevate the play of those around him, so performing like the number 1 overall pick in '09 is expected.

While I don't agree Bradford has David Carr syndrome just yet, that is his future fate if we don't protect him and catch the football.
    Rambos, Nick, MauiRam and 1 others like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It is way too early to diagnose Bradford. He had a promising rookie year followed by a forgettable sophomore campaign, some of which was his own doing, and much of which was beyond his control. To me, two things are certain: One, is that Sam cannot continue to take punishment like he did last season or he will indeed join the legions of other promising guys who never realized their potential. And two, Sam has to perform well this year. As legitimate as many of the variables were that delayed his growth last year, he still nonetheless has to adjust his game to achieve as much success as possible in 2012. Short drops. Accurate reads. Confidence. Whatever it takes. He's not the only QB in history who has had to elevate the play of those around him, so performing like the number 1 overall pick in '09 is expected.

While I don't agree Bradford has David Carr syndrome just yet, that is his future fate if we don't protect him and catch the football.
    Summed up quite well, I think.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    He's not the only QB in history who has had to elevate the play of those around him, so performing like the number 1 overall pick in '09 is expected.
    As a rookie I think one could make the case that Bradford did elevate the play of those around him...
    In 2008 the Rams went 3-13. You don't get the first pick in the draft if you have a lot of talent on your team. In his rookie year he started all 16 game and lead the Rams to playing in a meaningful game late in the year that could have won the West. In my book he has done that from day one. Last year was just a really bad seen, not sure any QB could have made that much of an difference, playing hurt for the most part on a depleted team.

I do agree this year he has to have a good year. As unfair as this may sound even if it's something he can't control, injures, dropped balls ect. He needs to play much better or the wave of criticism will become a title wave. If Sam plays bad and RGIII looks unstoppable, wow it will be on.

I think he has a great year and will be shocked if Fisher and Company don't put him in a position to succeed.