Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: David Vobora suspended 4 games

Totally agree with you RFRH! Too bad though ... very disppointing.

I can only hope that The Mr. Who Became Relevant learns his lesson ( everyone else in the locker room take heed)!!!

We just don't need this, not ever, and certainly NOT NOW! But as A&O said, it's time for Larry Grant to step in, step up and shine. Make Vobora sit on the sidelines for some time until the blunder sinks in good enough in his mind.

If DV is exonerated then that will be a different story.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I Agree on how stupid these players are. Your paid top dollar to preform at a high level & to follow the rules set forth by the CBA. If the supplement is not on the banned list how hard is it to have the crap analyzed by a third party to make sure its clean. Bottom line you are responsible for everything you take in to your body, so pony up & take the blame like a man. I'm with you RFRH that I could care less if he ever plays another down.

Tampa_Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Wow. Lets just hope that "it's always darkest before the dawn" holds true and we smack the *****.

It's been dark for almost 3 years now..
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -09-29-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Geez. We're on steroids and STILL can't win!!

I am very upset at this news.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Geez. We're on steroids and STILL can't win!!

Sad but true! In other news, the NFL has agreed to allow the Rams to film all the 49er practices, hand over their playbook, and also give the Rams a headset that is connected to the 49er coaching box upstairs on Sunday, in the spirit of fostering competition.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    ...We're on steroids and STILL can't win!!

Originally posted by Bradwill
    In other news, the NFL has agreed to allow the Rams to film all the 49er practices, hand over their playbook, and also give the Rams a headset that is connected to the 49er coaching box upstairs on Sunday, in the spirit of fostering competition.
    LOL!!! Oh, man ... this is too much! LOL!

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Irresponsible behavior. Lets see what Grant has got.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Guys, ultimately, I agree.....every player is responsible for what goes in their bodies. Vobora took something that caused him to "pee hot" and he's gone for 4 games. So be it.

However, it's not as simple as some want to make it. It's not like the NFL says "Don't do steroids" and then he goes and buys a big bottle that says in even bigger letters "These are steroids". I took a look at the banned list; 83 different substances with names like Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, Desoxymethyltestosterone, 17-Hydroxypregnenedione, 19-Norandrostenediol, Tetrahydrogestrinone, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, Bendroflumethiazide, Hydroflumethiazide, Trichlomethiazide, Norfenfluramine, and (here's the kicker)......"all related substances".

Now, unless Vobora got a Ph.D. in Biochemistry while he was up in Idaho, I doubt he's going to understand every compound on that list, much less "all related substances". So what should a young athlete do if he has a question about a supplement? Certainly don't rely on personal knowledge; and instead call the league. Which is EXACTLY what he did! Now, if you don't believe his agent.......fine, be cynical. No need to argue if that's your position.

However, IF he did call the league and they gave him an answer, that is ALL is he has to rely on. What is the kid to do?

But HUb, it's real simple.......don't do steroids!

Gosh, I wish it was that simple. The banned list is made up of 3 major divisions: 1) Anabolic Agents, 2) Masking Agents, and 3) Certain Stimulants. Of those 3 divisions only the first (Anabolic Agents) includes steroids, and within that division only 1 of 4 sub-divisions includes steroids. I wish an athlete could simply go by the "Don't do steroids" mantra, but truth is steroids make up a small portion of the banned list. There's a ton of compounds out there on the list that are in no way considered steroids. Did you guys know Pseudoephedrine is on that list? That's right, folks......Sudafed can get you suspended!

My hobby is competitive powerlifting. I suck at it (1390 total @ Raw Sub-M 308 class), but I've had to learn a few things about banned substances, because we have similar guidelines for our pee tests. Take me for example. I'm "clean", which is to say I do not take any form of testosterone, or even pro-hormones. I take some herbal compounds (tribulus) that nudge my natural test production, and some that help block estrogen reception (nettle root), and some that would be considered a stimulant (yohimbine). None of those are on the substance list, but I have to come off before a meet because I would "pee hot" since my natural hormone ratio would be off (higher test, lower estrogen). That's all those assessments measure. I didn't take any banned substance, but the assessment wouldn't know the difference.

Now, guys, maybe Vobora just straight up hit some Turinabol, Winstrol, or 1-Test, etc. If so, stamp "NUMB NUT" on his forehead and move on. But guys, he just as easily could have taken some non-banned substance that blew the assessment. Good grief, he might have had a cold and taken Sudafed.....that would do it.

All I'm saying is, we DO NOT have all the details in this one, and there are many possibilities that would not involve casting the scarlet letter on this kid.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Absolutely amazing that any in this thread feel like you have the right to pass judgment on this kid. Guilty or not, he most certainly deserves a second chance, and has done nothing to indicate otherwise ....

Maybe you should be more concerned about the things that you do in the world that are wrong, try examining your own life for a change ....

How would you like it if someone was passing judgment on your wives, husbands, children, anyone that is close to you ...

You don't even know the whole story, because you don't care too ...

It's pretty pathetic actually ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -09-30-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Lets see how this all unfolds before we start critisizing him. If it turns out he took them knowingly or was just really dumb then thatll be the time to attack him, but lets wait.

Innocent until provin guilty....even though the league already found him guilty, lets see how this sueing pans out and where it takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Guys, ultimately, I agree.....every player is responsible for what goes in their bodies. Vobora took something that caused him to "pee hot" and he's gone for 4 games. So be it.

However, it's not as simple as some want to make it. It's not like the NFL says "Don't do steroids" and then he goes and buys a big bottle that says in even bigger letters "These are steroids". I took a look at the banned list; 83 different substances with names like Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, Desoxymethyltestosterone, 17-Hydroxypregnenedione, 19-Norandrostenediol, Tetrahydrogestrinone, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, Bendroflumethiazide, Hydroflumethiazide, Trichlomethiazide, Norfenfluramine, and (here's the kicker)......"all related substances".

Now, unless Vobora got a Ph.D. in Biochemistry while he was up in Idaho, I doubt he's going to understand every compound on that list, much less "all related substances". So what should a young athlete do if he has a question about a supplement? Certainly don't rely on personal knowledge; and instead call the league. Which is EXACTLY what he did! Now, if you don't believe his agent.......fine, be cynical. No need to argue if that's your position.

However, IF he did call the league and they gave him an answer, that is ALL is he has to rely on. What is the kid to do?

But HUb, it's real simple.......don't do steroids!

Gosh, I wish it was that simple. The banned list is made up of 3 major divisions: 1) Anabolic Agents, 2) Masking Agents, and 3) Certain Stimulants. Of those 3 divisions only the first (Anabolic Agents) includes steroids, and within that division only 1 of 4 sub-divisions includes steroids. I wish an athlete could simply go by the "Don't do steroids" mantra, but truth is steroids make up a small portion of the banned list. There's a ton of compounds out there on the list that are in no way considered steroids. Did you guys know Pseudoephedrine is on that list? That's right, folks......Sudafed can get you suspended!

My hobby is competitive powerlifting. I suck at it (1390 total @ Raw Sub-M 308 class), but I've had to learn a few things about banned substances, because we have similar guidelines for our pee tests. Take me for example. I'm "clean", which is to say I do not take any form of testosterone, or even pro-hormones. I take some herbal compounds (tribulus) that nudge my natural test production, and some that help block estrogen reception (nettle root), and some that would be considered a stimulant (yohimbine). None of those are on the substance list, but I have to come off before a meet because I would "pee hot" since my natural hormone ratio would be off (higher test, lower estrogen). That's all those assessments measure. I didn't take any banned substance, but the assessment wouldn't know the difference.

Now, guys, maybe Vobora just straight up hit some Turinabol, Winstrol, or 1-Test, etc. If so, stamp "NUMB NUT" on his forehead and move on. But guys, he just as easily could have taken some non-banned substance that blew the assessment. Good grief, he might have had a cold and taken Sudafed.....that would do it.

All I'm saying is, we DO NOT have all the details in this one, and there are many possibilities that would not involve casting the scarlet letter on this kid.
    Hub,
    As an athlete you have to take total responsibility in what you put in your body, especially when your a paid athlete on a team sport. What you do with your training & nutrient can have an effect on your ability to perform. Now when a paid athlete on a team sport goes out & trys a new supp. that could effect his performance in any way that may jeopardize his ability to do his part on the team, reflects on the team as a whole.
    The claim is that he called the league office & that particular supp was not on the list. So what? this does not mean it's a legal supp for him to take. How hard would it be for him to go to the team trainer or send it out for a 3rd party breakdown of what it is.(this can be done)
    Now I see you have an understanding of the supplements that are out there & many can be bought over the counter, but my problem with the highly paid athletes that are looking for that edge, they don't do there homework either they don't care or as you put it they are numb nuts & then we come down to the same old story "well I thought it was ok" or "I didn't know"
    So come on do the homework & know what is on the list & what is legal to take, you are paid a athlete on a team sport. Don't let the team down. Which in my opinion is what Vobara has done.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Absolutely amazing that any in this thread feel like you have the right to pass judgment on this kid. Guilty or not, he most certainly deserves a second chance, and has done nothing to indicate otherwise ....

Maybe you should be more concerned about the things that you do in the world that are wrong, try examining your own life for a change ....

How would you like it if someone was passing judgment on your wives, husbands, children, anyone that is close to you ...

You don't even know the whole story, because you don't care too ...

It's pretty pathetic actually ...
    Infiniti,
    I do not like to pass judgement, but this crap is getting old. And yes people have passed judgement on me before just as I'm sure it's happened to you.
    Now the fact that we have a athlete that is in a position to be a role model for our younger generation I for one do not appreciate the fact that some of these players can't own up to taking an illegal substance.
    Now the fact you think I need to examine my own life, I do all the time learning from mistakes I've made and others around, it's an ongoing process to try and be better than yesterday. I am a truly blessed person with a great family and support all around me who help me all the time.
    And as far as not caring well if you look up about the things I really respond to, this is one of them. It just rubs me the wrong way that some think that playing in the NFL is a right- it's not it's privilege, so don't blow it.

So does the fact that he called the hotline and was told it wasnt a banned substance not matter? was he to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion on this over the counter drug? Should he have called roger goodell and asked him personally?

If you were a pro athlete and called the league and was told it was a non banned substance, would you continue to ask 2 or 3 others? The league said it wasnt a bannned substance, se he was to coninue and ask others? would anyone? i wouldnt. i checked with the league, league said ok. Am i to go further then that? and not believe the league?

eldfan is offline Registered User

I agree it is his responsibility to know what goes in his body, pick last in the draft did he believe he needed an edge, that sounds likely.
    :ramlogo:

The product he was using was not on the list, which simply means it is a supplement that has not gone thru the NFL testing, The NFL is not responsible for knowing the ingredients of every supp that is marketed. IT IS THE PLAYERS responsibility to know what is in the product they are taking & yes if that means they need to get an independent agency to verify what is in the product they are taking then do it & have it certified. Guys it's really not difficult to do. The players need to take responsibility, period.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast