Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Davis Looks to Win a Safety Spot

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Davis Looks to Win a Safety Spot

I don't know much about the kid, but it looks like he closes well and is a sound tackler. Didn't see a lot of the stupid knockout attempts that often end up with a missed tackle and 6 points for the offense.

Though I admit I'm a little concerned that part of his "highlight" reel includes a play where a pass bounces off his helmet. That's a highlight?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Though I admit I'm a little concerned that part of his "highlight" reel includes a play where a pass bounces off his helmet. That's a highlight?
    Coach Fisher likes defensive guys who are always around the ball .. Right ??
    Last edited by MauiRam; -05-13-2013 at 01:44 AM.
    RealRam, HUbison and THOLTFAN81 like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Doesn't the fact that we're talking about a UDFA speak volumes?
    MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RealRam is offline Registered User

I don't know much about the kid, but it looks like he closes well and is a sound tackler. Didn't see a lot of the stupid knockout attempts that often end up with a missed tackle and 6 points for the offense.
    Hey, count me in as sold on CD! This kid shows gumption and skills -- and has Vise-Grips for hands too. Pardon my ignorance but it seems he should have been drafted! As early and uncertain things may be right now, I'm glad the Rams brass opened the opportunity door for Cody Davis...

Get this young man in a STL Rams uniform!

"Davis was not only one of the most impressive athletes in attendance, but he was routinely cited as the highest-rated prospect in the building by several scouts. He certainly didn't disappoint evaluators by putting together a solid overall performance." -- NFLN B. Brooks
    "Davis will have to prove to scouts that he has the athleticism to handle coverage responsibilities in the NFL to earn a draft selection but his size, durability and open field tackling skills could make him an effective special teams performer." -- CBS Sports R. Rang
    "Cody Davis may not be a name that has come up much during the draft process, but he has the size and mental makeup that will force teams to notice him." -- Garrett Baker
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-12-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Quotes

richtree is offline Registered User

Isn't every player looking to win a spot ? some on the team / some a starting spot....

overkill

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

By the numbers, Davis has a chance at safety
    By Jim Thomas

No fewer than eight safeties were on hand for the Rams’ rookie minicamp over the weekend, a sure sign that the team still is searching for depth at the position. Among those eight, only third-round draft pick T.J. McDonald — who is projected to start — is assured a job.

Among the rest of the group, one intriguing prospect for a backup spot is Cody Davis of Texas Tech. A four-year starter for the Red Raiders, Davis started all 49 games he appeared in during college. He led the team in tackles last season (101), with three interceptions and seven breakups. At a regional scouting combine in Houston, he ran a sizzling 4.37 in the 40.

So how was Davis not drafted?

“I’m the wrong guy to be asking,” Davis said. “I think I’m too bland, I don’t know. I might need to add some flash to my game or something.

“I just pride myself on being fundamentally sound, flying around to the ball, really having a nose for the ball and making the tackle. It doesn’t have to be pretty. It doesn’t have to be a knockout hit all the time, as long as you get the guy down.”

Maybe he needs a publicist. Or a signature celebration dance.

“I guess I’m gonna have to celebrate more,” Davis said in a soft-spoken Texas drawl. “I’m kinda known for not celebrating, just making the play and walking off.”

There’s nothing bland, however, about 4.37. And there’s nothing bland about the productivity of Davis (6 feet 1, 204 pounds).

When asked why Davis went undrafted, Rams coach Jeff Fisher replied: “We’re just glad that he wasn’t. We had a good grade on him. He had an outstanding (regional) combine. He’s a sharp, young guy that plays special teams and he’s got cover skills and he can run and tackle. He’ll have a good opportunity.”

As the draft ended, Davis said “10 or 11” teams made offers to sign him as a rookie free agent. The $15,000 signing bonus and $20,000 in guaranteed money he got from the Rams are a sign of genuine interest by undrafted rookie standards.

Why the Rams?

“It was just a combination of things,” Davis said. “Coach Fisher and his staff — I really like ’em. Also, the opportunity here to get playing time. You know, it’s kind of a young team coming in. And there are some opportunities for free agents to grab roster spots.”

The regional and super regional combine system in the NFL helped get Davis noticed.

Those regional combines are for “lesser” players who don’t get invited to the big NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis in February.

The way Davis looks at it, all he has done is earn a job interview from the Rams — an interview he hopes should last through the spring, training camp and the preseason.

“I’ve still got to come in here and work it from the bottom up,” he said.

The Rams had Davis working at free safety over the weekend.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Doesn't the fact that we're talking about a UDFA speak volumes?
    When it comes to that hole Craig Dahl left at the starting safety spot, then yea.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Better than the receiver catching the ball!!
    HUbison likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12