HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Day 1 Camp Quotes

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On having camp at Rams Park for the first time)
    “It’s very nice. This is something that we have been contemplating for a while, but we really do feel this is more beneficial for us. We’ll see how things go, but I think as long as the logistics of things work out there isn’t anything else for us to consider. I’m very pleased. I think the players and coached are excited about it anytime you can put your head on your own pillow, or at least be in your hometown instead of traveling.”

(On being a coach that takes his players comforts and concerns into mind when making decisions)
    “Years ago when they trimmed these squads down in numbers, you had to take [more] care of your guys. You have to have their best on Sunday when you show up. There’s a lot of work to be done. There’s an awful lot to be done, but there’s a way of going about this and doing that work and doing it in a beneficial way of helping them physically. We all were raised in football in terms of hammer, hammer, hammer, rep, rep, rep, rep, and all of a sudden you get into the opening game and you’re dead-legged. We have studied this through the Russian track athletes who rest every fourth day. We just want to give them enough time to recover and make those physical games that are going to make them better players.”

(On Roland Williams)
    “Roland Williams is probably the most pleasant surprise of the off-season. I think I mentioned this earlier, but when we brought him back here I felt good that he was going to be a solid player. [He is] very comfortable with Brandon [Manumaleuna]. Obviously, we like Brandon. He is a good starter in this league. Roland, in the spring, was much more than I anticipated. He deserves the opportunity to step in and battle. We’re going to start him off as a starter and see how that whole thing transpires, but we’re kind of moving in a different direction anyways. We’re going to do a lot of two tight end stuff, so in essence they are both starters. Roland’s energy is something that I really appreciate. His experience there… I was very impressed with him, and we will just see where this thing takes us.”

(On Coach Martz’s biggest area of concern coming into camp)
    “I think everybody [in] every camp is always concerned about getting their guys healthy. I think there are a lot less unknowns about this camp than perhaps we have had in the past. The biggest concern is that we get our special teams up to speed. That’s number one. We have addressed this as well as we can in years past while trying to plug holes, but this year we have had the luxury of actually focusing on that without hurting the positions on offense. Finally, over the last few years we have been able to meet that. I’m excited about Bob [Ligashesky] and the job that he’s doing. We’ll see about that. That is the number one priority.”

(On how many players did not report today)
    “We have three. Our number one [Alex Barron], our number three [Oshiomogho Atogwe], and I think [Richie] Incognito is still out, so we’re down three.”

(On whether he had any information about Alex Barron)
    “No. Of course they can’t be here until they reach [an agreement]. I expect those things. I know his agent has an awful lot of guys he’s trying to [sign]. I know Alex really wants to be here. I think it’s a little bit of a victim of an agent who is dealing with a lot of top players, so it might take a week or two for Alex to get in here. There’s really not much we can do about that. I’m not concerned about it.”

(On whether he is concerned about Adam Archuleta)
    “Not at all. Not at all. I think Arch came in, and he looks really good in term of weight for the position that we want him in, with [Jerome] Carter in there at the strong safety position. Arch has great speed and quickness. His mentality is that he just wants to be back there. He wants to be where the violent part of it is, and there are plenty of opportunities back there to do that. He just needs to get into the cover mode because he is certainly capable of that. We’re just trying to put the best players on the field. I just don’t want to lose him in the season up at the line of scrimmage with some of the things that he can do. He’s two speeds, stop and go, so we have to get him in a position where some of it is new for him, but he’ll be very productive there.”

TE Roland Williams
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On his emotional level coming to camp)
    “This where you get the chance to get to come back and renew your commitment to the wonderful game of football. This is the time that is not for the meek at heart. It’s not for everybody, but we’re excited to come back, to get back working. We’re going to have some great things this season, so I’m excited.”

(On being in a hotel room instead of the dorms of previous camps)
    “I walked up in that room, and that room was unbelievable. I looked up to the heavens and said thank you for that comfortable bed. I went to the front desk, and I have my ethernet cord. I can get on the internet and see what is going on in the world around me while I am at training camp. My wife is nearby. Life is good. There is a USA Today that was just there, free of charge! This place is Shangri-La, of sorts, for training camp. I am just so glad to be here.“

QB Jeff Smoker
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On being a veteran versus a rookie)
    “It’s a huge difference; it is such a big job from college to the NFL level. The experience I gained last year from Marc (Bulger) and Chris Chandler and those guys was invaluable. I am going to use all of this stuff to my advantage for this year and having a year under your belt is tremendous.”

(On staying in the hotel instead of a dorm room)
    “No, I will not miss it at all, especially the bed. Those beds were horrible. It was like you could feel the coil through the mattress. I didn’t usually get a sore back but some guys did and you didn’t sleep well. I didn’t pack very much because we are here.”

(On knowing what to expect during camp)
    “Knowing the practice schedule and knowing the meeting schedule and knowing how things go through out the day it helps us to prepare because we know what to expect.”

(On competition at the quarterback position)
    “I only played in a couple of preseason games and didn’t get into any regular season games so I really haven’t proved myself at all so I have a lot to prove in training camp. I didn’t come here to sit on the bench and I want to get a chance to play. I am going to shoot for that back up spot. Hopefully nothing will happen to Marc but if something does, hopefully I will be able to get in there and get a shot.”

(On competition)
    “I like the competition. Football is competition in and of itself. Battling for a spot is just extra competition. I enjoy it and I think it makes me a better player.”

CB Kevin Garrett
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On the difference between being in Macomb and at Rams Park)
    “The adjustment to how things are set up. After a couple of years of being at Macomb you know how things usually run, going to the dorms, walking over to the field and having meetings in the classrooms. It is back at home but you still have to get adjusted to something new.”

(On looking forward to training camp)
    “At a certain point you have been off long enough and you know that it is time to go back and you have to make things happen. Now it is time to make things happen.”

(On his plans for the upcoming season)
    “My plan is to get on the field more this year and prove to my team that I can be a productive player for the Rams.”

(On what held him back last year)
    “Just mental problems and setbacks. Of course everybody at this level is able athletically; we just have to overcome the mental barriers and try show what you can do.”

(On position competition)
    “There is some competition at the defensive back position but it makes it better for the team as a whole. You get the best players out there, the more competition there is.”

(On new defensive players)
    “It is an exciting new adventure for us. We got some upgrades and hopefully we can gel together and make this a winning team.”

WR Dante Ridgeway
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On expectation of camp)
    “It’s going to be a tough road. Training camps all over the nation is going to be tough. I am looking forward to getting out there and competing.”

(On what he has heard about camp)
    “I have heard mixed stories from a lot of people on what to expect. All I know is to go in there and to expect that it will not be easy going in there and battling for a spot on the roster. I am looking forward to it.”

(On nerves in preparation for camp)
    “Of course, that is natural, I am human. This is my first training camp and I am a rookie. I don’t know what to expect, how practice is going to be so I am going to play it by ear and go day by day.”

(On what he is looking forward to)
    “Looking forward to going out there and competing, you know running routes and trying to get on special teams and make the most of the opportunity I have.”

C Larry Turner
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On his feelings before camp)
    “I am ready to get going and get the season started. Our goal is to win the Super Bowl every year, that is what my teammates believe and that is what I believe.”

(On being home instead of being away)
    “It is nice to be home and around your family and not to have to drive back. I am glad to have my wife and kids here so when I get a chance I can go home and see them. They are not much of a distraction at all. I know our wives are happy to have us here so they won’t have to call us late at night and ask what we are doing.”

(On camp expectations and excitement)
    “I expect to be running the ball. Coach Martz is the man and whatever he calls we run. We are going to be good at whatever we do. I am excited to be back here today. I am glad to be back around my teammates, they are great guys and I am ready to get started.”

LB Trev Faulk
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005
    (On his second year with the Rams being easier)
    “Oh yeah, you know what to expect. Last year was my third different training camp with my third different team but I know what to expect. It is a grind, there is not anything new or different that any of team in the league has to do.”

(On being at Rams Park and not Macomb)
    “Occasionally over there it was nice to see different people but when you are in the grind of training camp it is nice to see a different face every now and then. So hopefully, on our way to work we will be able to see different people so that is a plus.”

(On competition at his position)
    “It is the game; it is football, the nature of the beast and the nature of the business. It [the competition] was not anything unexpected. So I am going to go out there and hopefully we can all stay healthy and get better.”

DT Damione Lewis
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On what he is looking forward to)
    “I am looking forward to the first regular season game and not training camp. I don’t like two-a-days but it is all for a better cause and the main thing is to get ready for the first regular season game.”

(On team bonding)
    “That [where the camp is held] does not matter. You are going to bond because you practice and work together every day.”

CB Terry Fair
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On being away versus being at the regular season training facility)
    “Either one is about camp and about guys gelling together and being around each other all day and night. I like it better when you are at your own place, you are familiar with everything and it seems to run a lot smoother.”

(On home being a distraction)
    “It [being at home] makes camp a little easier. We are all NFL players and we know what we are out here for. The season is about to start and it a serious time. We are professionals and this is what we do.”

(On his mindset coming into camp)
    “I am coming in being a guy that has been around and been out with injuries. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. When healthy, I have always been a starter and someone the team can count on. I want to come in here and continue where I left off. That is to get better everyday and continue to be consistent and hopefully I can find a home here.”

LB Brandon Chillar
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On being at Rams Park)
    “I am excited. We are in St. Louis and not four hours away. We get to use our facilities that we are familiar with.”

(On position competition)
    “It is always going to be competitive in the NFL so you just have to go out there and compete. I feel like I got myself ready in the off season and I now I have to go out there and work.”

CB Dexter Coakley
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On difference in training camp from the Dallas Cowboys to the Rams)
    “It is very different. But the whole process is still the same. It is training camp, time to go to work and get better as individual, as a team and as a unit. The ultimate goal is to go out there and win ball games and get to Detroit this year.”

(On camp being at his home facility)
    “This is actually pretty cool. I have never had camp in the same city where we practice. This is a new experience and hopefully it will not put as much wear and tear on the bodies and that will translate into wins. Being away and having to commute made you feel like you were in boot camp. This gives us a little flexibility and we are in a comfort zone. You can just go out there and prepare for football and don’t have to worry about trying to see your family and having them come in on your day off.”

S Adam Archuleta
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On how he is feeling)
    “I feel good and ready to go. It is always a grind because you have to practice and beat each other for weeks before you get to compete against someone else. Training camp is good, it lays a foundation. Actually having training camp here will help us out as far as the wear and tear.

(On coming back from the injury)
    “I have to get my confidence back on the field. Walking around as a human being, I feel great. But I have to get back into the competitive aspects of playing football. I have to become confident with the contact and doing that to my body. I can run around and do everything, I just have to be smart. I have to set my own pace. As long as I am comfortable with the idea of it, then I know how far to push myself and what to do. Tomorrow, am I going to be in there smacking people? No. I know what to do and how to protect myself.”

S Oshiomogho Atogwe
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On first camp)
    “I am definitely excited, it’s along time coming. A long time working out, and preparing for this stuff. I am definitely excited about being in the NFL with the Rams. Just a little bit nervous, and don’t know what to expect.”

(On being intimidated around big name players)
    “Not so much. Just know that their style of playing is much more intense, a much higher level than I’m use to. That it self provides nervousness, but like I say, I am excited and want to see what I can do.”

(On first practice)
    “I will take more of a conservative approach, and get my assignments done. I know the defense real well, and I want to take care of my job, before the emotions take over.”

(On being in hotel and not in the dorm)
    “It’s all the same, it’s basically four walls in here, and basically I’m trapped in here for the next three weeks. The walls are just a little bit more spread apart, and the beds more are a lot softer, but that’s a good feeling.”

(On anything that he specially brought from home)
    “No, not for show, but I do have this Incredible Hulk figure that I bring around with me.”

S Jerome Carter
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On his first NFL training camp)
    “[I] [have] to go in, and do what I have to do. It’s something that has to be done, and [I] just [have] to go in and do it.”

(On being nervous)
    “I just have to go in and do my best, work hard, [and] whatever is asked of me to do [I] just have to go in and do it.”

(On starting all over again)
    “I just look at it like going back to college for the first year, like my freshmen year. I just plan on going in this and doing my best, and doing what is asked of me. I feel like I have a whole lot to prove from a different perspective, a whole lot of people doubt me. A lot of people don’t realize the type of player I am. I don’t think they see me as a player like I see myself as a player. So I have to go out and work hard. Every player has areas they need to work on. I just think I need to work on everything.”

(On opportunity)
    “There are a lot of opportunities out there, I’m just taking advantage of them just like every body else.”

(On the hotel)
    “I have been here [for my] second week. Plus I was here during the OTA. I am pretty much use to it now.”

(On the playbook)
    “I feel real comfortable, I just try to get in there everyday, [and] really take advantage of the situation.”

(On anything special brought from home)
    “No not really, I just know deep down inside I got my family with me, Mom, Dad, brothers, and sisters with me. This whole thing is all new to me, but being the type of player I am just [going] in and work hard.”

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Day 1 Camp Quotes

with [Jerome] Carter in there at the strong safety position. Arch has great speed and quickness. His mentality is that he just wants to be back there. He wants to be where the violent part of it is, and there are plenty of opportunities back there to do that. He just needs to get into the cover mode because he is certainly capable of that.
    Did I miss something? I though they scrapped the idea of Arch playing FS.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    In Marmie's defense, there is essentially no "free" or "strong" safety. Just two spots that I'm guessing are interchangeable.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    They scrapped the Pisa SS idea, but they're still fiddling with the Arch FS idea. According to Martz, the Rams have no such thing as FS or SS, but LS and RS.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Obviously, we like Brandon. He is a good starter in this league. Roland, in the spring, was much more than I anticipated. He deserves the opportunity to step in and battle. We’re going to start him off as a starter and see how that whole thing transpires, but we’re kind of moving in a different direction anyways. We’re going to do a lot of two tight end stuff, so in essence they are both starters. Roland’s energy is something that I really appreciate. His experience there… I was very impressed with him, and we will just see where this thing takes us.
    What?

Jumbo packages?

Well I will believe it when I see it in any other area than the red zone or short yardage situations.

Arch has great speed and quickness. His mentality is that he just wants to be back there. He wants to be where the violent part of it is, and there are plenty of opportunities back there to do that. He just needs to get into the cover mode because he is certainly capable of that.
    Hmmm....guess we will find out if Arch can cover? Personally, I think his coverage, tackling and catching skills often leave a lot to be desired.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

FYI
    For those who don't know. If you go to www.kfns.com; there is a show from 2-6 pm CST.
    They will be broadcasting live from Rams Park the next two weeks.

They had interviews with Martz and Furrey today, and had a guy reporting from the field with inside tidbits.

:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey