Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Day of Reckoning for Jackson

Day of Reckoning for Jackson

by Barry Waller

August 8th is the first day of truth for Steven Jackson. If he doesn't report to camp, not only does he lose another $15,000 a day in “chump change”, he also faces the possibility of losing a year of free agent eligibility, meaning he would be a restricted free agent only if he doesn't sign a new deal.

The Rams have offered Jackson's agent, Eugene “holdout” Parker, who's clients always seem to be the ones not reporting, an initial deal that would put Jackson in the top five backs in the NFL, that would make him a rich man forever. That was flatly refused by Parker, and the Rams were clear no report, no negotiations.

Jay Zygmunt is a very smart man. He knows that Jackson's ONLY leverage, is not to play, which alienates fans and eventually his teammates. He has to report at some time early in the season, or can't play at all no matter what in 2008, and doesn't get paid.

Is Jackson dumb enough to come in after a month of season and have to face his teammates? I doubt it.

If Jackson says he'll come in and play out his deal, the Rams simply put the franchise tag on his, and pay him the average of the top five backs, which they are willing to do anyway.

Then Jackson, not the Rams, takes the risk of a career ending injury, just like Orlando Pace did, and the Rams would be happy to go year to year like that with Jackson even more than they did with Pace, seeing the short shelf life of running backs.

Fans would have no problem with a yearly holdout when that happened either, knowing he eventually had to play.

The smart move for Jackson would be "report", get a few days off anyway with the team in Tennessee, and spend just four days in Mequon until they break camp.
    That would give the team time to get a deal done, a much better situation than if he waits till the 8th and blows another $75000.

A deal will get done unless Parker is just stupid enough to want Jackson to play out the present deal, possibly costing Jackson $25 million over a few million he wants to show he can get Jackson the top deal in the NFL for his position.

I doubt Jackson knows Parker well enough after just two months as his agent to let him make that move. Hopefully he can see that the fans in St. Louis are already somewhat split on hi, though the media has been mostly on Jackson' side.

That would change if the season is approaching and Jackson still remains out, possibly dooming any chance the Rams, his teammates, and his head coach, have in 2008.

Jackson isn't Jim Brown, with reams of a movie career, or Barry Sanders, already rich and nearing at the end of his career. He can't afford to sit out of principle. He isn't even Bernie Casey, who just didn't like football, and the NFL environment.

Jackson's dad worked as a pit boss in Vegas, and I'm sure he would tell his son to fold, looking at the hand he has and the one he faces.

Barry Waller

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Day of Reckoning for Jackson

Makes perfect sense to me.

Okay now if we can all join in on 3..."The Gambler"

a one, a two and a three...

You got to know when to holdem, you got to know when to foldem.....

shower beers is offline Registered User

Can't say I blame, although I'm a little curious about his agent's flat refusal of a top 5 payday. Perhaps a dispute on how many years the contract is for?

powerjack39 is offline Registered User

Top 5 sounds damn fair to me, that's about were he is as far as RBs in the NFL.

If they want Tomlinson money they are overvaluing JAX. JAX is a solid player no doubt, but it's not like he's a multiple time all-pro or even a perrenial probowler, the man has 1 probowl season on his resume in 4 years, a top 5 payday sounds generous to me. RBs have short lifespans as well, and productive runners are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

I don't think I would ever use a 1st round draft pick on a RB or sign one to a huge deal, unless it is a special player like Tomlinson or Peterson. Lifespans are too short and it is a fungible posistion.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I believe the author of this is incorrect in saying the 8th is the "day of reckoning". I read where it's 30 days prior to the first day of the regular season, NOT the first day of the Rams regular season. The first day of regular season is the 4th. That makes the Day of reckoning tomorrow.

...of course, I also read where Jackson can report anytime before the 10 week of the regular season and still get credit for the year. Either way, he needs to get into camp now and get a feel for the new offense.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think the 10th week deal is if you are waiting to sign the franchise tag contract. As Jackson is under contract and holding out, the time limit is sometime during preseason. Don't know when but I remember something about the 6th or 8th of August. He's required to be IN CAMP before a preseason game is played for the season to count.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

[quote=powerjack39;236279]Top 5 sounds damn fair to me, that's about were he is as far as RBs in the NFL.

If they want Tomlinson money they are overvaluing JAX. JAX is a solid player no doubt, but it's not like he's a multiple time all-pro or even a perrenial probowler, the man has 1 probowl season on his resume in 4 years, a top 5 payday sounds generous to me quote]

This is exactly how I feel. He needs to get over himself and get to camp. Ever day he misses, he is hurting the teams chances to win. Enough is enough!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Yep SJ will have to come in soon. Come in and we can get a deal done ASAP, hold out and nothing good will happen.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Can't say I blame, although I'm a little curious about his agent's flat refusal of a top 5 payday. Perhaps a dispute on how many years the contract is for?
    Years, guaranteed money, how much he earns in the first 2-3 years, how much is deferred to later in the contract. Plenty of reasons why an agent would decline a contract even if its total value is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by powerjack39 View Post
    If they want Tomlinson money they are overvaluing JAX. JAX is a solid player no doubt, but it's not like he's a multiple time all-pro or even a perrenial probowler, the man has 1 probowl season on his resume in 4 years
    I understand your point - Jackson is not Tomlinson. But since you brought it up, it should be noted that when LT signed his eight-year $60 million contract extension in 2004, he only had one Pro Bowl season on his resume as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    Ever day he misses, he is hurting the teams chances to win.
    Can you explain specifically how he's hurting the team right now?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Nick, he's hurting the team because he's missing out on the critical reps to learn the playbook. If it was the same playbook they had last year then I'd be much more ok with his holdout, but it's not. Saunder's playbook is like Martz's, an encyclopedia and with him the devil really is in the details.

By Jax not being in camp, he is missing out on the first team getting to work cohesively in the new blocking and run lanes, and missing out on learning the pass routes that Saunders will want him to run. Now, it is allowing his backups to play with the first team and get valuble reps, however, the point is still made.

Furthermore, he is basking around at home while his teammates are out in the (not so) broiling heat of training camp, busting their butts and honoring their contracts. He's hurting team morale, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a whole lot of effort blocking on his first series back.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Saunder's playbook is like Martz's
    ...which Jackson played in for two years, so it's not a completely unfamiliar system. Plus, I doubt that the running back position is one where you need weeks and weeks of practice to familiarize yourself with things. Elements of Saunders' offense will be unique, but I suspect he's not reinventing the wheel in terms of a running game here.

By Jax not being in camp, he is missing out on the first team getting to work cohesively in the new blocking and run lanes
    How can you say he's missing out on first-team cohesion when the first team isn't even set and completely playing? There's still a battle at center between Romberg and Incogntio, Setterstrom has been out with injury and has been replaced by both Incognito and Greco, Pace is being treated cautiously, and there seems to be a mix of guys at fullback right now. It's not as if the first team is all set and determined right now.

He's hurting team morale
    And you base this on what exactly? Numerous quotes from players about Jackson's status haven't indicated any kind of negative effect on morale. It's been reported that a number of them are keeping in touch with him.

Look, I'm not arguing that his holdout has no effect at all, but let's not overblow it. It's a scheme that's similar to one he spent two years in, he plays a position that at least IMO is fairly easy to step in and succeed at, and current fluctuations among other first team players because of injury and competition work to minimize the continuity or familiarity he could be building right now.

Maybe I'm way off on this, but I have a hard time believing any "damage" he's doing to this offense is anywhere near significant given these factors.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Furthermore, he is basking around at home while his teammates are out in the (not so) broiling heat of training camp, busting their butts and honoring their contracts. He's hurting team morale, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a whole lot of effort blocking on his first series back.
    You may very well be right, but I'd be willing to bet that Jackson isn't exactly basking around at home, rather, he's probably anxious about the situation and would prefer to be with the team in camp. As far as team morale, he's been in contact with Linehan and several teammates, who when asked about the situation, all seem to see this as business as opposed to anything malicious.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Looks like Nick and I were thinking some of the same things at the same time.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

gotta respect the thoughtful evaluation, thanks Barry. kudos

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Well if missing training camp is no big deal, then why have it? Let's all just show up a few hours before kickoff. And just because Sanders and Martz are similar in style doesn't mean that they are the same nor that Jackson even remembers Martz schemes from over two years ago where he was mainly a back up. Come on. Let's not minimize JAX absence just because you support his holdout. If a holdout was meaningless to getting ready for the regular season, there wouldn't be any concerns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast