Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

Here at ClanRam, where we dislike the Seahawks for the most part given their rival status, it comes as no surprise that Richard Sherman's outburst has been almost universally condemned.

But let's not kid ourselves. There is a segment of fans who love and applaud his behavior. I'd guess that most Seahawks fans are cheering him as a hero this morning - not merely for his play on the field (which nobody questions), but for his "persona." I have not ventured over to any Hawks boards or Twitter, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who think his outburst was entirely justified and "good for the game."

I've been a football fan for over 35 years. I've eagerly awaited the start of every season, and I've never missed a Super Bowl.

But if Sherman's behavior ever becomes the norm, I think I'd give it all up and find a new way to occupy my Sunday afternoons in the Fall.

And let's be honest... no team is innocent of this kind of nonsense. We've heard stories, for example, of our own Janoris Jenkins crossing the line with his "trash talk." I, for one, cringe when our guys behave that way.

It will be interesting to see how the NFL reacts. On the one hand, I think the league wants to be perceived as an organization that favors sportsmanship. On the other, as Howard Stern has proven for decades, shock sells.

In the end, I suspect that there will always be Richard Shermans, but they will remain on the fringe.

At least I hope so.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

When you're the best, you never have to tell people you're the best. They already know it.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    When you're the best, you never have to tell people you're the best. They already know it.
    Exactly. A phrasing of that sentiment that I've always liked is: if you command respect, you need never demand respect.
    Randart likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

He scared the crap out of that poor white lady reporter. If she had a rape whistle she surely would have blown it.
    ManofGod likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Erin Andrews was at a loss for words....Stunned!!!

I think the only person who would have been equipped for that interview is Mean Gene Okerlund.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Sherman's persona is straight out of pro wrestling and so was his interview last night. Despite what all the Internet is going off on like calling him a "ghetto thug" and everything else, it's what he wants to do and revels in all the attention. He should have been a WR

The guy was salutatorian at his high school and has a degree from Stanford. He knows exactly what he's doing and that's to gain a ton of attention with his comments and attitude. Great player but just a real azz. LIke to see Manning burn him for a few TD's in a couple of weeks.
    Randart likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the only person who would have been equipped for that interview is Mean Gene Okerlund.
    I was thinking BernieM.....

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

As a side note, without defending the Rams' bonehead penalties, it's pretty obvious to anyone that both Seattle and Carolina define the term chippy.

Especially Seattle.

As far as Sherman...seems to have issues. Maybe the 5th round still eats at him.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    Sherman's persona is straight out of pro wrestling and so was his interview last night. Despite what all the Internet is going off on like calling him a "ghetto thug" and everything else, it's what he wants to do and revels in all the attention. He should have been a WR

The guy was salutatorian at his high school and has a degree from Stanford. He knows exactly what he's doing and that's to gain a ton of attention with his comments and attitude. Great player but just a real azz. LIke to see Manning burn him for a few TD's in a couple of weeks.
    I'm glad you brought up the issue of his background (Sherman is from Compton, CA). Some try to use his "upbringing" as an excuse for this behavior. To that, I say... please. There are plenty of players who came from tough neighborhoods who nonetheless play the game with respect and class.

Plus, as you noted, he's an intelligent man. His antics are deliberate and entirely within his control.

The problem is that too many people enable this type of stuff.

While I know it will NEVER happen, if the league suspended Sherman for the Super Bowl, I'd regard it as the correct message.
    Warner Pride, bradwill and Randart like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    The guy was salutatorian at his high school and has a degree from Stanford.
    Proof that intelligence has nothing to do with being stupid.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I will start by thanking Sherman for keeping the whiners out of another SB. It was reported today that Crabtree and Sherman got into at a function in the off season. Crabtree supposedly got in his face and started talking crap. This had been on going for awhile, that said Sherman is no different then any other self promoting football player today that dances and taunts after just about every play.

Lets not forget this is the whiners and there are far worse players on that team then Sherman. Ahmad Brooks, allegedly hitting his teammate with a beer bottle this summer.

Aldon Smith is facing three felony charges of possession of assault weapons, reports Tony Kovaleski of NBC Bay Area. The charges stem from a 2012 party gone bad at his own home in San Jose, during which the San Francisco 4++++ linebacker was stabbed and found to own illegal firearms.
    Sherman is all about Sherman but the whiners and their coach are not exactly the Dallas Cowboys with Tom Landry and Roger Staubach. Those days are long gone I'm afraid.
    Randart likes this.

I don't care what Crabtree did.

When Erin Andrews puts a microphone in front of you at the end of the NFC Championshp game, you're representing your team and the NFL. Its not the time to deal with a personal vendetta.
    ramsbruce likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't care what Crabtree did.

When Erin Andrews puts a microphone in front of you at the end of the NFC Championshp game, you're representing your team and the NFL. Its not the time to deal with a personal vendetta.
    I don't condone it, but lets not act as if the whiners are as pure as driven snow. It could have been any whiner doing the same thing if they had won. A lot of guys are about themselves not the team... it's about PR and getting paid and today Sherman is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't condone it, but lets not act as if the whiners are as pure as driven snow. It could have been any whiner doing the same thing if they had won.
    Certainly. And if Crabtree had scored the winning TD and done the same thing to Sherman, I'd be expressing the exact same opinion.

A lot of guys are about themselves not the team... it's about get PR and getting paid and today Sherman is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Exactly. That's the problem.
    Randart likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast