Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Re: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

Read this article by Sherman:

Richard Sherman explains the Crabtree incident and postgame interview | The MMQB with Peter King

He probably doesn't believe even half of his own created persona, but he is going to take it to the bank because he knows that controversy creates cash and lots of it in the USA.

This guy is very shrewd(for himself) and also classless. That's what he wants, apparently. His talent alone makes him a star but he's going for THE NEXT LEVEL of stardom instead. I think he hasn't realized that in the media they love to build you up into The Greatest Thing Ever just so you can then be torn down to shreds later.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

This is what the man said, and I quote:
    "I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like [Michael] Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me."When Erin Andrews asked who was talking about him, he replied, "Crabtree. Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm ma shut it for you real quick. LOB [Legion of boom, the nickname of the Seahawks secondary]!

*Notice the man did not use curse words nor did he use the offensive language such as the dreaded "N-word", but he is still criticized harshly. We ask that players play with a great deal of emotion on the field and right after this we stick a microphone in their face and demand a response or you are fined....some control it better than others, it all comes down to your personality in many respects. Off the field these players are called to act as responsible men, which is what Sherman does. He give greatly to charity, and gives back to the Compton area, and he's not tied up in drug, gun, sexual assault, DUI/DWI charges, and other legal issues as other players are, but comments made after the game & not his play on the field (which is not dirty by any means) makes him "ignorant", a "thug", "ape", "jungle monkey", or a "cocky n****r" <all comments made on twitter, and these are the ones I CAN post>
    Can you ask for more "class" from him, sure, but "class" is all up to perception, and I'm sure he felt that what he did was fine considering the circumstances where usually a push in the face (or facemask in this case) will usually result in a far stiffer penalty under normal circumstances.

Here were Sherman's comments today: "
    Last night shows that racism is still alive and well... And that's so sad"

*Sadly this is all too true, and this thread in many regards proves this fact.

Last edited by ManofGod; -01-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    JPPT1974, THOLTFAN81 and RockinRam like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsbruce View Post
    When you're the best, you never have to tell people you're the best. They already know it.
    Well said, RB. And you too Brad (post #31).

In fact, people usually respect 'the best' when that individual tries sincerely to stay low key. But big-mouth egos are genuine jerks. Their true "best" quality is that of being annoying.

It reminds me of a young fellow I used to work with that now and then, almost as if on schedule, he'd say, "I have an I.Q. of ... (can't remember what it was but it was supposed to be very high)". One day I was not willing to listen to that 'announcement' again so I told him, "if you did have that I.Q. you wouldn't be telling everyone about it."

Funny[?] thing is, these Sherman shenanigan people actually have to be way too selfish to be bothered by those of us that frown on them.

They become a role model for cynics. They become a laughing stock.

Last edited by RealRam; -01-20-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Bradwill

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Stay classy Seahawks and fans, NOT! As really Sherman just made them villains of the Super Bowl even more!
    August School is Fall!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    This is what the man said, and I quote:
    "I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like [Michael] Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me."When Erin Andrews asked who was talking about him, he replied, "Crabtree. Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm ma shut it for you real quick. LOB [Legion of boom, the nickname of the Seahawks secondary]!

*Notice the man did not use curse words nor did he use the offensive language such as the dreaded "N-word", but he is still criticized harshly. We ask that players play with a great deal of emotion on the field and right after this we stick a microphone in their face and demand a response or you are fined....some control it better than others, it all comes down to your personality in many respects. Off the field these players are called to act as responsible men, which is what Sherman does. He give greatly to charity, and gives back to the Compton area, and he's not tied up in drug, gun, sexual assault, DUI/DWI charges, and other legal issues as other players are, but comments made after the game & not his play on the field (which is not dirty by any means) makes him "ignorant", a "thug", "ape", "jungle monkey", or a "cocky n****r" <all comments made on twitter, and these are the ones I CAN post>
    Can you ask for more "class" from him, sure, but "class" is all up to perception, and I'm sure he felt that what he did was fine considering the circumstances where usually a push in the face (or facemask in this case) will usually result in a far stiffer penalty under normal circumstances.

Here were Sherman's comments today: "Last night shows that racism is still alive and well... And that's so sad"

*Sadly this is all too true, and this thread in many regards proves this fact
    Race has absolutely nothing to do with the criticism of Sherman that has been expressed here. He made the moment - his team winning the NFC Championship - all about him and his personal vendetta. He was the epitome of poor sportsmanship.

If he does good things in his community, that's great. It's also irrelevant. What he did last night was wrong.
    Warner Pride and Randart like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

It could just be me but it seems like the NFL is getting worse with this kind of behavior every year, at least on the field. I'm just tired of the on field antics, face talking, and stupid celebrations every time a player makes a simple play. Too much individual showmanship and "look at me" attitude for an ultimate team sport.

I really would like to see the NFL do something to curb this type of behavior. It's just nonsense and it ruins the game for me.
    live4ramin likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Richard Sherman's behavior had everything to do with Richard Sherman being a brash. egotistical, angry idiot, and nothing else. If the criticism of his actions was so wrong, why did his coach have to talk to him? Why did his coach defend it by saying "We aren't perfect, and we all make mistakes"? If the criticism was baseless, why did Sherman say today, "Obviously I could have worded things better and could obviously have had a better reaction and done things differently".

Please, give me a break with the notion that Sherman is being treaty unfairly because of some perceived agenda. That's just ridiculous.

Haste is offline Registered User

FestusRam is online now Registered User

I can't help but imagine Peyton throwing a few TDs to Demaryius Thomas and running over to Erin Andrews after the win yelling, "THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT A SORRY CORNERBACK ON THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK OF ALL TIME'S FAVORITE TARGET!! WAS THAT A JOKE??"

One can dream...

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

i think you people are overreacting to a sport, but thats just me

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Sherman didn't curse, he didn't disparage a group of people, and he really wasn't all that offensive. He was loud, and he did talk a heap of trash. Not unlike how Muhammed Ali or Michael Jordan talked trash. Did anyone give up watching boxing and basketball because of it?

I dislike the seahags and Sherman as much as any other Ram fan but let's not overreact.

I mean, let's be real. I am a nerd, and I read a lot of comics. Captain America is great, he says all the right things, and does his job the right way. I also like Wolverine. He's brash, and talks a lot of crap.

Its good to have a cast of characters with different personality traits in our entertainment venues.

Also, keep in mind, Sherman is a kid, playing a game invented by students. These athletes aren't curing cancer or performing brain surgery. They're kids, and young men playing sports. Let them have some fun with it.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
    i think you people are overreacting to a sport, but thats just me
    It's a discussion in the context of sports. If you think people are having their lives affected by it, you need to think again.
    HUbison, Nick, live4ramin and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    When you're the best, you never have to tell people you're the best. They already know it.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Sherman didn't curse, he didn't disparage a group of people, and he really wasn't all that offensive. He was loud, and he did talk a heap of trash. Not unlike how Muhammed Ali or Michael Jordan talked trash. Did anyone give up watching boxing and basketball because of it?

I dislike the seahags and Sherman as much as any other Ram fan but let's not overreact.

I mean, let's be real. I am a nerd, and I read a lot of comics. Captain America is great, he says all the right things, and does his job the right way. I also like Wolverine. He's brash, and talks a lot of crap.

Its good to have a cast of characters with different personality traits in our entertainment venues.

Also, keep in mind, Sherman is a kid, playing a game invented by students. These athletes aren't curing cancer or performing brain surgery. They're kids, and young men playing sports. Let them have some fun with it.
    Actually yes I did... I was raised to have respect for your adversaries and to be respectful all around you till they give reason to not be respected no matter of station in life or any other reason. I played many sports in my life and was pro in a couple, I never acted in such manner as you advocate. I was less of a competitor, for not being a loud mouthed disrespectful trash talker? I reckon opinions vary on that... Many sports I won't watch ever again because of behavior and many I never did. I lived through those times you cite and it is sad to see the state of those sports and other sports related to them because of the standards set by the men you name. IMHO! They just made men like Jerry West and Magic Johnson who spoke more softly greater in my view.
    RealRam likes this.

You sound like you were a great athlete. Do you think you were great at sports because of your respectful sportsmanship, or because you trained and worked hard?

The answer to that doesn't change for trash talking athletes.

Also, as someone who lived through decades of sporting events, you must know that brash, trash talking behavior in sports in nothing new. Jack Johnson, the great boxer. Johnny Sample, Super Bowl III star. Larry Bird. Even our own beloved "Deacon" Jones. Do you think he was cordial as he was bashing guy's heads in?

I'm not an advocate for any manner of athlete's personal behavior because that's not why I watch sports. I watch because I enjoy the athletic competition. I know a guy from St. Louis that said he met Marshall Faulk at this club he worked at a couple times. He said he was a jerk. Fine. Still my favorite Ram of all time because of what he did on the field. To have some expectation that every one of these athletes is going to be a boy scout is very unrealistic.

Remember these guys are human, and are just as susceptible to the human condition as anyone else.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -01-21-2014 at 04:30 AM.
    Randart likes this.