Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

As Fettmaster said, it's nothing new. Alright, true. Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali, et al (actually quite a few).

But, please ... all in moderation!

Otherwise, "el pez muere por la boca." // The fish dies by its mouth.

The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.-1-reel_big_fish.jpg - - Clic on image to make it a bigger mouth.

===========================================

Yes, big mouths often make big money. They market well, especially in pro sports. But I think many of them eventually go down as that, classless jerks. Full of themselves, an ego larger than their own mother. // Deacon Jones and Marshall Faulk (if that story you posted is real) perhaps later than sooner revealed their true character of being good people, not shaggy Shermans!

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls
    the pain of stupidity.
    - F. Leahy
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-21-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Image

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Actually yes I did... I was raised to have respect for your adversaries and to be respectful all around you till they give reason to not be respected no matter of station in life or any other reason. I played many sports in my life and was pro in a couple, I never acted in such manner as you advocate. I was less of a competitor, for not being a loud mouthed disrespectful trash talker? I reckon opinions vary on that...

I lived through those times you [Fettmaster] cite and it is sad to see the state of those sports and other sports related to them because of the standards set by the men you name. IMHO! They just made men like Jerry West and Magic Johnson who spoke more softly greater in my view.
    Ah, Jerry West! Archetype of a gentleman ... AND fierce competitor.

Many others like him too. Many.
    Randart likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There's no excusing poor sportsmanship and publicly belittling an opponent. It doesn't matter where you're from, what color you are or how good/bad you had it as a child. It's wrong. I played three sports in school, played college baseball and have coached kids from a variety of backgrounds. I know of where I speak.

People will judge you based on their observations of your behavior. If you are respectful and conduct yourself like a good person, you will be thought of as such. If you come across as a loud mouth braggart, trash talker and fool, you will be regarded as a jerk.

It really isn't difficult to understand.
    live4ramin likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sherman's behavior reminded me of an angry teen in the X-Box Live post-game lobby - talking as much trash as possible in a constant fight for self promotion and attention.

Really, the attention should have been on his team's accomplishment, but Sherman - who is intelligent enough to know better and to know how a professional should carry himself - made it all about himself and a feud no one really knew much about.

So yeah, when you make a choice, you deal with the consequences. Sherman chose to mouth off, and now he's open to criticism for it. I have a lot of respect for his talent, but I hope Peyton throws all over the place on him. Then let's get Erin Andrews to put a mic in his face and see what he has to say.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    When you're the best, you never have to tell people you're the best. They already know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.-barry_sanders.jpg The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.-images.jpg

Barry Sanders says hi.
    RealRam, live4ramin and r8rh8rmike like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

IMO, his rantings were more disrespectful to his own teammates than anything else. He drew the attention away from his team and put it all on himself. That's a character defining action IMO.

Guy on ESPN yesterday said he was sure the rest of the Seahawks players didn't care - really? None of the rest want to be noticed and celebrated for their accomplishment?
    RealRam, AvengerRam and HUbison like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    IMO, his rantings were more disrespectful to his own teammates than anything else. He drew the attention away from his team and put it all on himself. That's a character defining action IMO.
    Exactly right. That's why Ali is not a good comparison. As a boxer, he fought for himself. He wasn't part of a team.

Guy on ESPN yesterday said he was sure the rest of the Seahawks players didn't care - really? None of the rest want to be noticed and celebrated for their accomplishment?
    I have no doubt that his teammates will back him. How they actually feel may be a different story, though.
    ramsbruce likes this.

Michael Jordan talked trash.
    I don't remember Jordan stating after a big win that he's was the best player in the league (even though he was) or calling out the guy who guarded him.

Captain America is great, he says all the right things, and does his job the right way. I also like Wolverine. He's brash, and talks a lot of crap.
    Now there's an analogy I didn't expect to see.

If, however, Wolverine, after defeating a group of Sentinels with a team of X-men, screamed "I'm the greatest mutant in the world. That's what you get, Trask, when you send those sorry robots after me!" I'd find that to be out of place and somewhat inappropriate.

Also, keep in mind, Sherman is a kid, playing a game invented by students. These athletes aren't curing cancer or performing brain surgery. They're kids, and young men playing sports. Let them have some fun with it.
    I didn't find Sherman's comments fun. Neither did my kids, who were watching the game with me. We all reacted the same way: "What's his problem?"
    Nick likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Talking trash isn't what Sherman did. If all Sherman did was confined to the field, none of this would have been talked about. He on purpose took this to the interviews and made it a media spectacle after the game was over. That's not trash talking. Sherman's excuse is that Crabtree privately taunted him so Sherman publicly taunted him? Jerk move.

Rambos is offline Registered User

What it has become is one big distraction... this is not going to stop leading up to the game. The media is going to pound this during media day. So once again I want to thank Sherman for the play he made and the distraction he has become.

Go Broncos
    live4ramin and macrammer like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't remember Jordan stating after a big win that he's was the best player in the league (even though he was) or calling out the guy who guarded him.

Now there's an analogy I didn't expect to see.

If, however, Wolverine, after defeating a group of Sentinels with a team of X-men, screamed "I'm the greatest mutant in the world. That's what you get, Trask, when you send those sorry robots after me!" I'd find that to be out of place and somewhat inappropriate.

I didn't find Sherman's comments fun. Neither did my kids, who were watching the game with me. We all reacted the same way: "What's his problem?"
    Not only did Jordan publicly berate his opponents, MJ would also rip apart his teammates who he thought weren't pulling their weight. He also called out the Bulls' front office for years for building bad teams around him. Remember his HOF induction speech? He ripped practically everyone in attendance.

Also, a Wolverine comic book starts with his quote, "I'm the best there is at what I do." Your above quote really wouldn't be so out of place.

Again, I don't see what the big fuss was. He's a young man, currently one of the best players at his position at the highest level of competition. Moments earlier, he made the game saving play against his arch rival to propel his team in the Super Bowl. Imagine the adrenaline he must have felt during those moments. And then someone put a microphone in his face.

That is why we have 'postgame sideline interviews' and not three-days-later interviews, right? So we can witnesses the emotion while its fresh? But if a player is too emotional, oh my goodness let's all give up watching sports.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

He's the best (shhhhhh Haden). Just ask him. Now the Seahawks really really need to pay the man! I think 10 to 12m a season for seven seasons will do. Anything less is completely disrespectful. Stand up for yours Sherman!!!
    live4ramin likes this.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post

Barry Sanders says hi.
    I could be wrong. But Muhammad Ali might be a more accomplished athlete.

Nonetheless, all athletes act and behave differently, like people tend to do.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -01-21-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Not only did Jordan publicly berate his opponents, MJ would also rip apart his teammates who he thought weren't pulling their weight. He also called out the Bulls' front office for years for building bad teams around him. Remember his HOF induction speech? He ripped practically everyone in attendance.
    If Sherman makes the HOF and wants to rip Crabtree in his speech, that's his business (though, as was the case with Jordan's speech, it would be viewed by many as being in poor taste). The reason is that it would be HIS DAY. Last Sunday was the TEAM'S DAY.

That is why we have 'postgame sideline interviews' and not three-days-later interviews, right? So we can witnesses the emotion while its fresh? But if a player is too emotional, oh my goodness let's all give up watching sports.
    I have no problem with emotion. I think its great to see the immediate emotional reaction to a TEAM'S victory.

Sherman's reaction was about personal bravado. It had nothing to do with TEAM.
    ramsbruce likes this.

I'm just going to leave it at, Sherman's TEAM saw the play he made to put them in the Super Bowl. After doing that, I highly doubt his teammates would care what he said.