Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Barry Sanders says hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I could be wrong. But Muhammad Ali might be a more accomplished athlete.

Nonetheless, all athletes act and behave differently, like people tend to do.
    Whether Ali is more accomplished than Barry or not, I don't know, and it doesn't matter. Ali was also in an individual sport which makes it different, as was mentioned earlier.

Either way, my point was, there is a good way to promote yourself, and a bad way to promote yourself. Most times, if not all of the time, the bad way leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

In general, when people think of Barry, they think of his amazing ability and him acting like he's been there before, handing the ball back to the ref after his TD's, and being a team guy.

In general when people think of Sherman, they first think of his mouth telling us how great he is and how bad his opponent is, his "Me Me Me" attitude, and not his play on the field.

Let your skills, and playing ability do the talking for you.
    RealRam and citr92 like this.

BRUUUUUUUUCE

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I think fett made a good case with the adrenalin rush and all, but to get back to av's original thought.... This new chippy, in your face, thump yo chest, Ima gangsta bad ass all the time NFL looks like the new normal and the league's not waiting to care what I think about it.

To make this relevant the Rams are quickly building with the same chippy building blocks to compete.
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I'm just going to leave it at, Sherman's TEAM saw the play he made to put them in the Super Bowl. After doing that, I highly doubt his teammates would care what he said.
    that wasn't the only play in that game you know

it's not like sherman did everything for them

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Now that the initial wave of backlash has passed, you have media-types coming out and defending Sherman.

Of course, they are hardly objective. Media "personalities" like Sherman for the same reason that body shop owners like car accidents.

They are also missing the mark, for the most part, as the typical defenses are things like "Sherman does a lot of good things..." or "its not like he committed a crime." Those statements may be true, but they are also irrelevant. Sherman's action is being criticized. Even if he is basically a good and admirable person (I don't know him, so I don't have an opinion on that subject) most believe that his action on Sunday was wrong.

Randart is offline Registered User

That was well stated and your points hold merit and substance! Well done Fett, and of course you are correct to be mediocre in many sports takes years of training, much more than that to be good! I may not agree with your view point but this last was very well put. In the end we are all pulling for the Rams to do well and be as classy as possiable doing it or so I hope. I just think the behavior in question is much more prevelent today than it was ever before. I never condoned bad behavior even by those I admired such as Decon I know he was not sunday go to meeting angel. But even Rosey wished he had been more careful with his off the field views.

Good counter to what I said though cudos to you for that...
    RealRam likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

In my mind, there's really two problems I have with the way he conducted himself...

1. He personally attacked another player on multiple occasions. I don't see how any good could come of this. He continued to attack Crabtree at his press conference, which by that time his adrenaline had to of worn off somewhat. Imagine if these antics become the norm in the NFL, then tell me how much you would like it.

2. What has everyone been talking about since the game ended? Richard Sherman. It's as if the world didn't even notice that the Seahawks had just earned a trip to the biggest annual sports event in the U.S. I don't like the Seahawks, but it's a shame to see a TEAM who just earned a trip to a Super Bowl be overshadowed because their teammate's controversial conduct.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    In my mind, there's really two problems I have with the way he conducted himself...

1. He personally attacked another player on multiple occasions. I don't see how any good could come of this. He continued to attack Crabtree at his press conference, which by that time his adrenaline had to of worn off somewhat. Imagine if these antics become the norm in the NFL, then tell me how much you would like it.

2. What has everyone been talking about since the game ended? Richard Sherman. It's as if the world didn't even notice that the Seahawks had just earned a trip to the biggest annual sports event in the U.S. I don't like the Seahawks, but it's a shame to see a TEAM who just earned a trip to a Super Bowl be overshadowed because their teammate's controversial conduct.

I agree with both those points, but take it a step further.

Sherman first and foremost didn't make the play that sent them to the Super Bowl. It was a team play, and the better play in my opinion was the one Malcolm Smith made.

He was a LB trailing on a fade route, and he was in perfect position for the pick. How many times do you see a LB get that deep to be involved in a fade to a WR in the end zone? It is pretty rare.

Sherman's play was good - he deflected a slightly underthrown ball. But deflections happen many times a game.

If that was a 4th down or time running out play, he gets all the credit.

But it was 1st down, there were 18 seconds left on the clock, and if Smith isn't putting in the extra effort to run to the ball (and most LBs are not involved in fade routes in the end zone in any way) then Sherman's play ultimately doesn't matter.

Because then we go to 2nd down, and there's time enough for at least 2 more passes to the end zone - or even underneath, as the Niners had 2 time outs left.

Sherman is disrespecting his team mates. Maybe they don't mind, maybe they do, but Richard Sherman didn't make that play by himself, and I'm amazed that more people aren't talking about that.
    Last edited by demiurge; -01-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    gap likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He made a mistake. There's no debating that. Pete Carroll addressed it as such.

I just hope we don't reach a point where actions like that are no longer considered a mistake, but just accepted. Might as well start wearing a cape, mask, tights, and elf boots at that point.
    RealRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mh-i is offline Registered User

Sherman is trash talker. It goes on all game. At least he didn't shoot himself or someone else like other recent players. That said, go Broncos!

demiurge is offline Registered User

Sherman is a trash talker and an attention *****.

He's had feuds with Trent Williams, Tom Brady, Roddy White, and Darell Revis before the current spat. He's only be in the league for 3 years.

He's a big play guy no doubt, be he's not a lockdown corner - he's been beat for long TDs a few times. PFF has him ranked 3rd at CB this year.

On the plus side I'm sure he'll demand a hefty pay raise at the end of next season, so we'll see the Seahawks cap space get eaten up.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Just add to some fuel to the fire here....how many times have you seen a CB tip a ball up in the air and it instead be caught by another WR? The way Sherman described it and reality isn't always the same. Take a look at how Auburn beat Georgia in college football recently for just one of many examples.

I think the guy covered Crabtree like glue and congrats. After that, not so much.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I thought it was funny. Simple as. Why read into it so much?
    Last edited by evil disco man; -01-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    I thought it was funny. Simple as. Why read into it so much?
    Well, enough people found it unfunny to cause the backlash that prompted Sherman to make the following statement today:

"We're talking about football here, and a lot of people took it further than football," Sherman said. "I was on a football field showing passion. Maybe it was misdirected and immature, but this is a football field. I wasn't committing any crimes and doing anything illegal. I was showing passion after a football game. It is what it is. Things like that happen and you deal with the adversity. I come from a place where it's all adversity, so what a little more or people telling you what you can't do. I really was surprised. If I had known it was going to blow up like that I would have approached it differently, just in terms of the way it took away from my teammates. That's the thing I feel regretful about."

(emphasis added)

How to commemorate a victory:

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

How not to commemorate a victory:

"I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're gonna get. Don't you ever talk about me."

Okay... so that was a bit heavy handed... but you get my point, right?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    [/B]Okay... so that was a bit heavy handed... but you get my point, right?
    I do, but I don't. First of all, I think it's dumb to interview players immediately after an intense game and expect anything different. They're still in the heat of the moment. Players should not be held to the standard of politicians.

Everyone complains about canned interviews and boring PR-friendly responses. So, to me, it's refreshing and funny to see something off-the-cuff like Sherman did.

EDIT: and anything he said afterward was pure PR BS, the same thing we all complain about.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -01-22-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.