Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: The day Sherman's behavior becomes the norm, is the day I get a new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    Even in those days the same team had Hollywood Henderson and "boxer" Ed "Too Tall" Jones.
    Point taken, Sir.

Excellent! We can go back and recount all the knuckleheads.

But I don't want to. Thanks anyway.

"The horror"

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Yes, yes it is. I think the new avatar is stylish
    And as far as the fine is concerned, nothing and I mean NOTHING slave-master Goodell does surprises me anymore. The players association should have never signed that new deal unless he was removed from his position.
    I get it. You empathize with Sherman, and feel he's been unfairly criticized, but you continue to put forth this narrative that he's been wronged through some perceived social injustice, despite the fact that he's already acknowledged that he made a mistake, has apologized, and is moving on. At this point, I'm not sure who you're advocating for, or why.

This is the way it works, if someone with public celebrity uses a national forum to more or less act stupidly, or gets caught saying something inappropriate, they're going to be called on it, regardless of who they are, or what they're about. Just ask Charlie Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Kanye West, Mel Gibson, or Riley Cooper.

As for Richard Sherman personally, I don't think he's a bad guy, just a misguided guy who needs to grow up, and wise up.
    RealRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

As for Richard Sherman personally, I don't think he's a bad guy, just a misguided guy who needs to grow up, and wise up.
    And there, my friends, is the gist of it all on Shaggy Sherman!

Now, as you said, time to grow up, wise up!

Last edited by RealRam; -01-26-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: AND shut up too Sherman!

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If some guy stripped naked, painted himself orange, and then ran out to midfield and took a dump, everybody would talk about him too. That would not make him a genius, though.
    Maybe not. But if he brashly and loudly claimed to be the best orange-nude-dumper ever, it would help to cement his celebrity status.

If orange-nude-dumping was a thing.
    Yodude and r8rh8rmike like this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I get it. You empathize with Sherman, and feel he's been unfairly criticized, but you continue to put forth this narrative that he's been wronged through some perceived social injustice, despite the fact that he's already acknowledged that he made a mistake, has apologized, and is moving on. At this point, I'm not sure who you're advocating for, or why.

This is the way it works, if someone with public celebrity uses a national forum to more or less act stupidly, or gets caught saying something inappropriate, they're going to be called on it, regardless of who they are, or what they're about. Just ask Charlie Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Kanye West, Mel Gibson, or Riley Cooper.

Well the apology was forced, however I have no idea what he did that makes him "misguided" (perhaps the fact that as an Africans american male, he used a GRE word to describe the play of an opponent.) It seems that we forget that an excited, emotional guy who just made a great play and was headed to the Superbowl went on a little rant....oh and let's not forget he is only 25 yesrs of age.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -01-26-2014 at 06:02 PM.

And, once again, you try to inject race into the discussion.

Let's be clear here...

NFL players are not slaves.

They're not warriors.

They're not soldiers.

They're young men who receive large sums of money to play a game.

The least they can do is honor that game by displaying good sportsmanship and setting a positive example for the kids who idolize them.

As far as I know, Richard Sherman has some admirable qualities. But he also, at times, behaves in a juvenile manner that is disrespectful to opposing players and, in my opinion, the game itself.

So... this is not about race. It's about standards and ideals applicable to all.
    This coming from you is both comical and hypocritical. And I say that with all do respect
    Last edited by ManofGod; -01-26-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Well the apology was forced, however I have no idea what he did that makes him "misguided" (perhaps the fact that as an Africans american male, he used a GED word to describe the play of an opponent.)
    Let me say this about your statement, you my friend, are way out of bounds here. And when it comes to being misguided, Richard Sherman has nothing on you. You should be embarrassed for making such baseless, uncalled for assumptions about me or anyone else. Completely inappropriate.

Any further race discussion will be deleted without explanation.

Now, as for my intent in using "misguided" with regard to Sherman's actions, I'm referring to his naivete in how he presents himself, and the fact that he needs to learn to think about what he says, and how he acts. But don't take my word for it, listen to Sherman himself :

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sherman
    Obviously I could have worded things better and could obviously have had a better reaction and done things differently

Rambos is offline Registered User

Like I have been saying from day one it's all about the money.

Richard Sherman's $5 million rant

By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney

Richard Sherman could stand to make about $5 million in endorsements -- all because of his 15-second rant moments after helping the Seattle Seahawks get to the Super Bowl.

Sherman, a defensive back, made the play that secured Seattle's 23-17 win over San Francisco on Jan. 19. Immediately after the play, he did a TV interview proclaiming that he was the best cornerback in the National Football League, and dissing the opposing player who he had foiled on the play.

Sherman's agent, Jamie Fritz, told CNNMoney that interest in his clients has boomed since the remarks. While Sherman's current endorsements amount to just a bit more than his $550,000 NFL salary, Fritz believes there are millions in deals that will be signed soon, -- some before the Super Bowl is played Feb. 2.

"We have some new players who have come to the table who are starting the conversation," Fritz said.

The remarks caused an immediate sensation -- positive and negative -- in social media and on sports talk radio, among fans accustomed to bland comments from winning players.

Some advertisers fret about the controversy generated by the rant. But Fritz thinks the rant was more positive than negative for Sherman's image.

"I think that he's more likeable," he said. "People love this. The brand managers love this."

Outside experts agree that advertisers are more likely to be attracted by Sherman's new celebrity than scared off by the controversy.

"He's going to be the very hot interview in next couple of weeks. I'm sure you're see someone take advantage of him," said Jordan Schlachter. executive vice president, sports for The Marketing Arm, a firm that arranges endorsement deals.

Related: Richard Sherman tells CNN rant was 'immature,' reaction was 'mind-boggling'

Bob Dorfman, editor of the Sports Marketers Scouting Report and executive creative director of Baker Street Advertising, said that the NFL's defensive players don't get the endorsements that offensive stars such as Denver quarterback Peyton Manning get. So the rant has elevated Sherman in advertisers' eyes.

"I think there are some who will worry because of the way he's not afraid of opening his mouth, eventually he'll say something that really gets him in trouble," said Dorfman. "But a lot of those advertisers don't use athletes anyway

Sherman, who was his high school's salutatorian graduated from Stanford and started a masters degree there his final year playing football there. Before Sunday's game he had few endorsements. His first two national ads aired during the game -- one for Beats by Dre headphones, the other a Nike (NKE, Fortune 500) spot that focused on Kobe Bryant in which Sherman makes a cameo appearance. He also has a regional ad campaign in the Pacific Northwest for Internet service provider CenturyLink (CTL, Fortune 500).

Fritz said even if he's not the star of the Super Bowl, he thinks advertisers' interest in his client is now secure.

"Win or lose, I don't think it changes the landscape of opportunities for Richard Sherman this offseason," he said.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    This coming from you is both comical and hypothetical. And I say that with all do respect
    I'd say that its comical that you don't know the difference between "hypothetical" and "hypocritical," or the difference between "do" and "due."
    HUbison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Let me say this about your statement, you my friend, are way out of bounds here. And when it comes to being misguided, Richard Sherman has nothing on you. You should be embarrassed for making such baseless, uncalled for assumptions about me or anyone else. Completely inappropriate.

Any further race discussion will be deleted without explanation.

Now, as for my intent in using "misguided" with regard to Sherman's actions, I'm referring to his naivete in how he presents himself, and the fact that he needs to learn to think about what he says, and how he acts. But don't take my word for it, listen to Sherman himself :
    I see freedom of speech does not seem to work here in the clan <once again there appears to be certain rules for the mods that don't seem to apply to the rest of the clan members>, and again the apology was forced. Nevertheless, as long as we put microphones in young men's faces (if an effort to obtain higher ratings) after huge emotional situations you are going to continue to get certain responses(especially as league is getting younger). Again given that no offensive language and/or racial terms were used, its really not that serious.

Now am I embarrassed....no not at all, just attempting to open eyes and let a few of my more sheltered (and/or ignorant) clan members into the hearts & minds of the "others" out there who although you don't "see/get it" your comments are just as offensive/close minded as anything I've ever posted.
    mh-i likes this.

I'd say that its comical that you don't know the difference between "hypothetical" and "hypocritical," or the difference between "do" and "due."
    Blame it on the Sam..Sam..Sam...Sam..Sam...Sam...Samsung(auto-correct feature).

*I know you may not get the song reference there, you don't strike me as a rap connoisseur (let me help you). It was from Jamie Foxx's song: "Blame it".

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I think this thread has run its course. At this point, nothing positive is to be gained by going round and round. The Sherman incident reflects today's alarming trend of belaboring every event the media deems "newsworthy". His comments, while asinine, deserved about two days worth of coverage- no more. He was exposed as a loudmouth and a poor sportsman on national TV. That should be punishment enough.

That he went to Stanford is absolutely irrelevant to the argument. There are a lot of stupid people in the world who graduated from college. And saying "it's not like he murdered someone" or some other such inane rationalization doesn't detract from the fact that he was a complete ass.

Anyone who continues to defend him simply doesn't understand the tenants of sportsmanship and winning with class. There's no sense continuing to waste one's breath trying to make them understand.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-26-2014 at 10:01 PM.
    HUbison likes this.

I see freedom of speech does not seem to work here in the clan <once again there appears to be certain rules for the mods that don't seem to apply to the rest of the clan members>, and again the apology was forced. Nevertheless, as long as we put microphones in young men's faces (if an effort to obtain higher ratings) after huge emotional situations you are going to continue to get certain responses(especially as league is getting younger). Again given that no offensive language and/or racial terms were used, its really not that serious.

Now am I embarrassed....no not at all, just attempting to open eyes and let a few of my more sheltered (and/or ignorant) clan members into the hearts & minds of the "others" out there who although you don't "see/get it" your comments are just as offensive/close minded as anything I've ever posted.
    First of all, freedom of speech is not, and has never been a right here at ClanRam. Maybe you should review the board rules. And as far as the other stuff, if you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to send me a PM. We're not going to get into it here.

So Sherman's apology and subsequent statements admitting a mistake were forced? I'm sure you have something to back up that claim, other than your opinion, right?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Blame it on the Sam..Sam..Sam...Sam..Sam...Sam...Samsung(auto-correct feature).

*I know you may not get the song reference there, you don't strike me as a rap connoisseur (let me help you). It was from Jamie Foxx's song: "Blame it".
    I've got a better one to describe your approach to this topic:

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest."

Simon and Garfunkel

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think this thread has run its course. At this point, nothing positive is to be gained by going round and round.
    Probably the most intelligent thing said in this thread.
    thoey, JPPT1974 and ramsanddodgers like this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789