Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Deacon Jones Award Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Doesn't look like Quinn will get it...!
    As IB4E said, a double, deep disappointment. Totally teed off. // Hard to say "Happy New Year" right now.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

What would make this a Happy New Year for me would be reading in the paper tomorrow that the car the refs from the hags/RAMS game was in a fatal single car collision, with no survivors.

Second to that would be a "league review" that took away a Mathis sack, or gave Quinn at least one more.

gap

SavageRam is offline Registered User

The sad part is, Quinn had Wilson lined up for his 20th sack when OL Okung (?) tackled Quinn right before he could tackle Wilson. Okung was penalized for holding on the play, but that is little consolation now.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Whats worse is they added a sack to Mathis' numbers after the game was over on a supposed review/correction.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Robert Mathis is listed as OLB so he can't win a DL award...MAKE THAT RULING NFL!

gap

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Whats worse is they added a sack to Mathis' numbers after the game was over on a supposed review/correction.
    So, does this mean Mathis was given two gift sacks to make sure he would beat Quinn?

gap

RedAlice is offline Registered User

I don't even know any of you on this board.

But, this realization in the last couple minutes of the game made me start crying. That kind of cryng where you just cannot make the tears stop coming from your eyes because you feel it so strong internally.

Kind of an odd thing, but it really did make me sad.

Anway, hung out with all the excited Charger fans. The pat fans, denver fans, etc But, was so sad.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by RedAlice View Post
    I don't even know any of you on this board.

But, this realization in the last couple minutes of the game made me start crying. That kind of cryng where you just cannot make the tears stop coming from your eyes because you feel it so strong internally.

Kind of an odd thing, but it really did make me sad.

Anway, hung out with all the excited Charger fans. The pat fans, denver fans, etc But, was so sad.
    There's no crying in football!

gap

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There's no crying in football!
    Unless it is due to joy in hoisting the Lombardi.

gap

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post

Unless it is due to joy in hoisting the Lombardi.

gap
    ...and you're Dick Vermiel.

Mikey is offline Registered User

So, does this mean Mathis was given two gift sacks to make sure he would beat Quinn?

gap
    Actually the sack in question was from their game vs KC. Mathis batted the ball out of his hand as he was throwing it was called an incomplete pass at the time and changed to a sack.

RedAlice is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Actually the sack in question was from their game vs KC. Mathis batted the ball out of his hand as he was throwing it was called an incomplete pass at the time and changed to a sack.
    Correct call as well.

Comes down to a fair race we sadly lose by a half.

At least it is the Colts and not another NFC W team.

gap

I am not so sure that changing stats after a game is such a good idea. This morning they are talking about stripping P Manning of one of his records because the pass was a latteral instead of forward, which makes it running yards instead of passing yards.

This started a pretty big discussion at work, and the question was brought up... If it is OK to change stats up to a week (or more) after the game is complete, why can't you change the ultimate stat, W/L? Does the NFL really want to go there?

Take Mathis' extra sack. How does that change the following play. If it was a sack, that changes the down and distance. Or, worse yet, would the sack have resulted in a Safety? Would the next play have changed with that extra distance? If the next play was a punt, how would that have changed the field position battle? If the next play was a first down, would the extra distance have change it to a failed first down attempt? Or maybe, would it have change the play choice, which could have changed anything from a turnover to a first down. You just don't know.

All of the above questions to just that one incomplete pass changing to a sack really questions the wisdom of making such a MASSIVE change to the game AFTER it was played.

The NFL needs to "man up" and leave the games as they were decided on the field. If they cannot do that, they need to adjust the W/L using the same post game considerations. And if they are gonna change W/L using the same post game considerations, the prime change that immediately comes to mind is the fail mary. Can anyone think of a game this year, that would TOTALLY change the playoff picture?

The NFL is opening a can of worms with these two stats changes, after the game has been played, and I have to seriously question why they are doing it? Who benefits from these changes, and is it worth questioning the integerity (like there is any) of the league.

gap

Trevor is offline Registered User

I am not so sure that changing stats after a game is such a good idea. This morning they are talking about stripping P Manning of one of his records because the pass was a latteral instead of forward, which makes it running yards instead of passing yards.

This started a pretty big discussion at work, and the question was brought up... If it is OK to change stats up to a week (or more) after the game is complete, why can't you change the ultimate stat, W/L? Does the NFL really want to go there?

Take Mathis' extra sack. How does that change the following play. If it was a sack, that changes the down and distance. Or, worse yet, would the sack have resulted in a Safety? Would the next play have changed with that extra distance? If the next play was a punt, how would that have changed the field position battle? If the next play was a first down, would the extra distance have change it to a failed first down attempt? Or maybe, would it have change the play choice, which could have changed anything from a turnover to a first down. You just don't know.

All of the above questions to just that one incomplete pass changing to a sack really questions the wisdom of making such a MASSIVE change to the game AFTER it was played.

The NFL needs to "man up" and leave the games as they were decided on the field. If they cannot do that, they need to adjust the W/L using the same post game considerations. And if they are gonna change W/L using the same post game considerations, the prime change that immediately comes to mind is the fail mary. Can anyone think of a game this year, that would TOTALLY change the playoff picture?

The NFL is opening a can of worms with these two stats changes, after the game has been played, and I have to seriously question why they are doing it? Who benefits from these changes, and is it worth questioning the integerity (like there is any) of the league.

gap
    True, I do want players to be credited with the correct amount of sacks/ints/td/yards etc and it seems as if they will try to take away Tds/sacks/ints/yds etc. But what about stats that are game changing? Like the fail mary last year from GB and the Seahawks? NFL knew that it was an INT but still gave them a TD, so the WR(I don't know who caught it) got credited with a TD that he didn't even catch.

Me personally, I would want them to amend sacks AND amend the W/L.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12