Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Deacon Jones dead at age 74

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Deacon Jones dead at age 74

Hall of Fame DE Deacon Jones dead at 74
    Associated PressBy The Associated Press | Associated Press – 17 mins ago

David "Deacon" Jones, a Hall of Fame defensive end credited with terming the word sack for how he knocked down quarterbacks, has died. He was 74.

The Washington Redskins said Monday night that Jones died of natural causes at his home in Southern California.

"Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant," said Redskins general manager Bruce Allen, whose father, George, coached Jones with the Los Angeles Rams. "His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him. He was cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother."

Jones was the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome unit from 1961-71 and then played for San Diego for two seasons before finishing his career with the Redskins in 1974. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980 and made the league's 75th anniversary all-time squad.

Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain. His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.

Jones made the Pro Bowl every year from 1964-70 and played in eight overall. He combined with fellow Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen, Rosey Grier and Lamar Landry on the defensive line that, at times, was unblockable.

George Allen, who coached the Fearsome Foursome, called Jones the "greatest defensive end of modern football." The Allen family had Jones present George Allen for his Hall of Fame induction in 2002.

The Rams' stats show Jones with 159 1-2 sacks for them and 173 1-2 for his career — all unofficial, of course. Jones also was one of the most durable players, missing just five games in his 14 pro seasons.

A 14th-round draft pick in 1961 out of Mississippi Valley State, which later produced Jerry Rice, Jones was the first defensive lineman with 100 solo tackles, reaching that mark in 1967.

Most recently, he was the CEO of his own foundation, which he began in 1997. He also made several trips to visit troops on active duty in the Middle East.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Deacon Jones dead at age 74

RIP to one of the best to ever wear the horns.
    RealRam and mde8352gorams like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Shocked and sadened to learn about this. Sincerest condolences to his loved ones.

Indeed an NFL icon and innovator of modern day defenses, a fearsome competitor, unequaled in his dedication and talent as a DE. Often considered as 'The Most Valuable Ram of All time'.

His name enshrined in the HOF, his Rams No. 75 jersey retired, he will forever live in the hearts of an entire generation of pro football and be a true example in the eyes of younger generations, a true LEGEND.

mde8352gorams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Deacon is a LEGEND. It's no wonder we'll never see anyone wear #75 again. The man who invented the sack, the best DE this league has ever seen, and proudly he was one of our own. DEACON LIVES ON!! That rafter will hang proudly.

THE DREAM TEAM

Hall of Fame DE Deacon Jones dead at 74
    USA Today - 3:12 a.m. EDT June 4, 2013

David "Deacon" Jones, the original sackmaster, has died, the Washington Redskins announced early Tuesday morning.

The Hall of Fame defensive end credited with terming the word sack for how he knocked down quarterbacks, was 74. The Washington Redskins said that Jones died of natural causes at his home in Southern California on Monday night.

"Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant," said Redskins general manager Bruce Allen, whose father, George, coached Jones with the Los Angeles Rams. "His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him. He was a cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother."

Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain. His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.
    To think that Jennifer, Coach Allen's daughter named one of her sons Deacon. Rams family, fraternity.
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-04-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Jennifer

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I remember when he was a rookie as I have followed our Rams since 1958. He was a player with a mission, with a passion for sacking the QB's. He created fear on the field every game he played, He made up a group that has gone down over time as the Best Defensive line ever to play pro football. I and we as fans will miss your appearances for ever more. We love ya Deacon, Thank you for your passion on and off the field. Our prayers are with you and your family and close friends...

From Si Fan Side

The NFL lost a true legend of the game on Monday evening when Hall of Fame defensive end David “Deacon” Jones passed away from natural causes at age 74.

Jones had an illustrious career with the Los Angeles Rams as a member of the Fearsome Foursome where he played a total of ten seasons with the team. He etched his name into football lore with his style of play, which is one that many still consider to this day to be the most dominant style ever seen in the history of the game. When Ndamukong Suh was getting heat for his aggressive style of play, many people cited Deacon Jones and his trademark helmet slap as an example of something Suh might do if the game hadn’t changed so much between the days Deacon Jones played in and the age we are in today.

But Jones did so much more than simply rough opponents up, he terrified them and revolutionized a entirely new brand of pain that defenses now regularly play with. He’s been credited with being grandfather of the sack masters we see in the game today. Before Jones defensive ends weren’t particularly special but once he got a chance to prove himself, Jones used his insane speed and his and what would today be defined as hybrid player that probably could have played outside linebacker in the right defense today.

After his career he dabbled in broadcasting and was as wide spread in his post-football activities as he was during his playing days. He never stood too far away from the game he became so engrained in and was always proud of what he helped bring to football. Kids today may not know his name but when they watch the game as it’s played today they’re seeing Deacon Jones in every blinding fast defensive end like Jared Allen that dominates his position.

That’s the cool thing about football. Deacon Jones is no longer with us, but he’s immortal in every generation of football. The game wouldn’t be the same without him and it’s likely going to be a little less now that he’s gone.

Deacon Jones dead at age 74-deacon-jones.jpg
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -06-04-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Wish i could of gotten to see him play. R.I.P Secretary of Defense

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Deacon's was the first Rams jersey I ever owned.I was, iirc, six years old. It was barely more than a rag when I finally burned it more than 20 years later. It didn't seem right to just throw it away. My brother had Roman's. We used to go after one another, DE vs QB, every chance we got. I learned how to tackle wearing that jersey & fell in love with football and The Rams wearing it. I'm at that age where a lot of experiences and people are becoming just memories but this one hurts.

RIP

At least BRM's heavenly bash for Rams' games just got a little livelier.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One of the greatest players in the history of football.

I wish I had been able to meet the legend.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A very sad day. Not what I wanted to wake up and read. A true legend and one of the greatest Rams ever to wear the colors. He will be missed.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ESPN is reporting that Deacon Jones has already accumulated 37 sacks in the Afterlife Football League.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

R.Gabriel is offline Registered User

I believe our D-Line will be playing a little harder this year with some help from above. RIP Deacon; you will be missed.

No. 1 Pass Rusher of All Time: Deacon Jones

--NFL Films

macrammer is online now Registered User

Deacon was larger then life and a joy to watch play football. He was a lively interview and told it like it was. A rarity in this day and age.

RIP Mr. Ram. thanks for the memories

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Deacon didn't die. The Man's immortal and lives on every Ram Fans heart.

See yah Deacon! God Speed! Say hey to Merl!
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast