Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Dead man walking ............... we got a dead man walking here

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Dead man walking ............... we got a dead man walking here

Ultimately to me, Spags is not in year 3, he's in year 2. The more and more I reflect on 2009, and the horrificly old roster, and terrible salary cap situation, I will always look at that as year 0.
    Richbert88 and hawaiianpunch like this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
    It's the coaching.......
    I disagree because of these factors, Injuries, New offense, The franchise not wanting to pay the big money other than too Bradford, And the rams really tough schedule.

When you play the eagles, ravens, giants, green bay, saints, Dallas. And you beat one of those powerful team i say that's not bad considering. The guy that blocked our feild goal was 6'8 also. That Arizona game was a dog fight and i thought it was a good game. We just came up on the short end on special teams. We have been hit really bad by the injury bug, so Lets see if getting Clayton back changes anything on offense. Our receiving core got hurt the worst IMHO.

give it time. If next year spags fails then i say we talk about it. Starting a new complicated offense doesn't help especially with the youngest team in the league.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -11-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    We just came up on the short end on special teams.
    Yeah about 99 yards short. At least Spags said he would kick it to Peterson again. Wait, what?

Its apparent this team isn't going anywhere with Spags. This guy exhibits the same exact deficiencies as a head coach since uh, "year 0".

Poor clock managing skills, questionable personnel choices, stubborn play calling (Spags admitted running the same exact play on 4th down Sunday was his call), refusal to hold players and self responsible for penalties & blown assignments, and an inability to make the appropriate halftime adjustments to maintain or add to a lead in a game.

Things are bad when you figure out how to lose to a John Skelton-led team. Some might call that a good game, but I find it profoundly embarrassing. Spags said the Rams didn't do anything wrong on Sunday. Grievously, Sam had similar comments. No Sam, you, as a team, did a lot wrong. You couldn't score a touchdown to save your lives for starters. But this is the coaches attitude that is rubbing off on our players and apparently fans too. It must be stopped before these players are ruined mentally. Players are regressing under Spags watch.

If we give this guy one more year, its going to be just another wasted year as far as I'm concerned.
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

Last edited by Fettmaster; -11-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Yeah about 99 yards short. At least Spags said he would kick it to Peterson again. Wait, what?
    Maybe Spags believes in his Special Teams like believing that we could pin him deep like we were doing all game. I still think we need to give Spags time. Our defense has been pretty stout lately, our offense could have performed better but like i said rookies and a young team need to develop. Also it was Bradfords first game back, and we are learning a new offense. We can't blame the coaches on this season IMHO. That's just what i feel. I feel like we have had extreme bad luck and extreme circumstances this season for us as fans to expect this young team to perform up to Playoff level. It took them 3 years to get where they are with Aaron Rogers and company. When Spags came over he was taking over the Linecrap Era and Marc Bulger who was extremely shell shocked from being the most punished quarter back in NFL history. Like Infiniti ram said It's like spags 2nd season with Bradford. I say give him 1 more year. But that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -11-09-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Linehan has a better winning % than Spags. The players we have now are Spags' guys, yet the results are the same. That excuse doesn't work anymore. Rookie Andy Dalton has Cincy in first place in a much tougher division. Time is overrated.

And notice the problems I listed with Spags have nothing to do with the injuries or schedule this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    And notice the problems I listed with Spags have nothing to do with the injuries or schedule this year.
    I just feel that Injuries or schedule is a huge problem for a young team. Spags is the head coach of course these are his guys, But We do have one the youngest teams in the NFL. I don't think we can ignore factors like Injuries, A new offense, the schedule, and having young guys when talking about firing the head-coach, I think these are very important factors to how a team does each season. When we reach next years, A new offense and having young players no longer become an excuse. So i say be patient. Thats just me though.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I disagree because of these factors, Injuries, New offense, The franchise not wanting to pay the big money other than too Bradford, And the rams really tough schedule.

When you play the eagles, ravens, giants, green bay, saints, Dallas. And you beat one of those powerful team i say that's not bad considering. The guy that blocked our feild goal was 6'8 also. That Arizona game was a dog fight and i thought it was a good game. We just came up on the short end on special teams. We have been hit really bad by the injury bug, so Lets see if getting Clayton back changes anything on offense. Our receiving core got hurt the worst IMHO.

give it time. If next year spags fails then i say we talk about it. Starting a new complicated offense doesn't help especially with the youngest team in the league.
    I cannot agree with your analysis. Have you seen every game? The Rams are sloppy on both sides of the ball. They consistently make boneheaded penalties and generally have regressed in every catagory. Getting flagged for multiple false starts in a home game is the definition of sloppy in the NFL.

The Rams had a tough first half schedule, but they were blown out each game. I can excuse losing to good teams, but being blown out week to week is inexcusable. The Rams suck and being weak at CB or having a new offensive scheme doesn't explain or excuse it.

Week in and week out, the Rams play unfocused and stupid. The coaching staff makes questionable calls at key moments, and even Spags has admitted to being out coached or unprepared on many occasions. The buck has to stop somewhere and I personally think Spags simply isn't a good head coach. If you were able to listen to his Monday press briefings, he often strikes me as clueless or lacking in perspective to admit the obvious (they plain suck).

I didn't like some of what Spags did last year, but I kept my mouth shut because the Rams were getting better. This year the Rams are worse in almost every aspect and play 09 type sloppy ball. I want Spags out at the end of the year unless this sloppy BS stops today.

I just feel that Injuries or schedule is a huge problem for a young team. Spags is the head coach of course these are his guys, But We do have one the youngest teams in the NFL. I don't think we can ignore factors like Injuries, A new offense, the schedule, and having young guys when talking about firing the head-coach, I think these are very important factors to how a team does each season. When we reach next years, A new offense and having young players no longer become an excuse. So i say be patient. Thats just me though.
    I respect your opinion on Spags, however I'm just going to add we're actually not that young of a team. The offense is in the top five youngest, and our defense is in the top 5 oldest iirc, so we're actually somewhere in the middle in terms of age.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

My house is burning. If I am patient ..........

What kind of threshhold for poor performance must we possess? And for how freakn long?

I'm not a saint. I just want to be normal.

My god, just give me 8-8 then. Give me a rout once a year. Give me just one come from behind. But let me be solid, competitive, respected and mentioned on Game Day seriously.

To be despised or controversial would be thrilling. To be respected as a threat each week should be the least expectation of any team, but to exist below the level of laughing stock, in the relm of the invisibles and the unmentionables is a nightmare.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -11-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    "The horror"

macrammer is offline Registered User

sigh. lions, tigers and bears oh my. Wow, we had a tough schedule and some injuries? Well then what the hell, let's give spgas a hall pass this year too. Lets see if I can sum up why we shoul dkeep Spags:

We had a really tough schedule
    We were only team with too many injuries
    We were the only team that was locked out
    We were only team installing new offense
    He is a nice guy
    We do not want to start over
    Our 3oth ranked did well against the then 1-6 Cardinals

Did I miss anything?

rammiser is offline Registered User

I dont know about anyone else but I had a huge problem with the 3rd and fourth down calls when we needed one yard. Why they think running Jackson sidewaysis a good thing when they need one yard is beyone me. They should have punded him up the gut, not to mention it looked like they called the exact same play both times. To me Jackson in short yardage is better when pounding the big fella right up the gut. You get him running sideway and he doesnt seem to do well in short yardage. I hate long developing runs in short yardage, they fail before they are even run.
    Just Fix It

Chris58 is offline Registered User

A bit off topic but why all the vitriol for Linehan vs Spags? His record was 11-24 (just the games he coached). Spags is 9-31. I submit that Linehan took over a terrible team. The Rams were a soap opera with Martz as HC. The Rams were aging and lacked talent and depth. Bulger was a beat up QB under Martz's schemes. I believe that the dysfunction of Team Martz/Zygmunt/Shaw was as responsible for Linehan's failures as were Linehan's obvious shortcomings. So back to the question, why all the hate? Is it because he was hired by Darth Zygmunt? Why does Spags get all the rope he needs to hang himself, but Linehan was the village idiot? To me they exhibit exactly the same shortcomings: indecisiveness; an inability to make in-game adjustments; no public displays of enthusiasm; an apparent inability to get the players prepared from week to week; and an "everybody gets a trophy" mentality for the players.

I wish I could feel more love for Spags, but the longer the lousy performances go on, the more he morphs into Linehan. I hope I am wrong and that the second half is an opposite of the first half of the season. If we go 5-3 it might save Spag's job, but for now, I see no difference in the results between Linehan and Spags.
    live4ramin and macrammer like this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    ... I see no difference in the results between Linehan and Spags.
    I am right there with you. Poor play calling, lack of preparation and the appearance of not really knowing what your players are truly capable (or incapable) of doing.
    macrammer likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

The only difference between Linehan and Spags I can see to this point is that Linehan had a better record but had a sloppy campaign named after him.

I fully expect to see a new acronym, bad graphics and a bucket of bile before too long.

And this time, I might even sign up in an effort to make that $200 for game-pass feel a little less wrong than it does now.

snackdaddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Ultimately to me, Spags is not in year 3, he's in year 2. The more and more I reflect on 2009, and the horrificly old roster, and terrible salary cap situation, I will always look at that as year 0.
    I agree with that too. Year one should not be counted. The only surprise that year was winning a game. That team was built to go 0-16. As far as I'm concerned, his record is 8-16. Still not good, but the team is in the rebuilding phase. They still have a long way to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast