AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Dear Alex... (an apology)

Dear Alex,

Its my fault. I'm sorry.

Here you are. A young football player. You're trying to learn a new position in the most complicated offense in the league. Its your first day. You're having some trouble. The one thing you need: time. The one thing you don't need: attention.

That's where I come in. You see, I'm impatient. I want news, and I want it now. I'm demanding, and I'm vocal. And, as a result, the team, which would rather hold its practices in private at this stage, allows the media to be there so they can give me my instant gratification.

But its not fair to you.

You don't need people all over the country discussing and debating your first day of practice with the first unit at a June minicamp. You need time to adjust, so you can be ready when it matters in September.

If I could just be patient, maybe you'd get to toil in anonymity until the preseason. That would be the best thing for you and your fellow rookies. But no, I won't allow that. I'm selfish and greedy. I want information now.

Its my fault. I'm sorry. I hope you'll forgive me. But, more importantly, I hope you'll ignore me.

Sincerely,

Ram Fans Everywhere

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Dear Alex... (an apology)

Scratch me off the list, please. The NFL is first and foremost an entertainment business. This is show business. Being under the microscope of the media and fans just comes with the territory.

Some media people and fans take some of this info far too seriously and reshape it to form an unwarranted opinion.The way I see it, those are the types that need to eat their crow and apologize.

Certainly, I will do my best not to judge to quickly or harshly, but I want my info, and I refuse to apologize for wanting it. In the grand scope of NFL economics, I pay for this info. So, I damn well want what I paid for.

:ramlogo:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Scratch me off the list, please. The NFL is first and foremost an entertainment business. This is show business. Being under the microscope of the media and fans just comes with the territory.

Some media people and fans take some of this info far too seriously and reshape it to form an unwarranted opinion.The way I see it, those are the types that need to eat their crow and apologize.

Certainly, I will do my best not to judge to quickly or harshly, but I want my info, and I refuse to apologize for wanting it. In the grand scope of NFL economics, I pay for this info. So, I damn well want what I paid for.

:ramlogo:
    Ditto.Thanks for that accurate expression of my opinion ferter.No dis to AR's post he does give a good point of view always.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Its my fault. I'm sorry. I hope you'll forgive me. But, more importantly, I hope you'll ignore me.
    By all means ignore for now, but realize for better or worse, the scrutiny will always be there as part of life in the NFL. The great equalizers will be hard work, perseverance and progression.

RealRam is offline Registered User

From the 'More on Alex Barron's Struggles' thread:

To me, this is just a reporter's way to have material to do his job, something to write about in the off-season ... even if not necessarily true nor important.

I believe that every year, somewhere around 40% of all NFL rookies have noticeable struggles in fitting in and meeting the technical expectations of their new job.

Some of these players early rookie's season even become 'famous', like Terry Bradshaw, fumbling the ball and running around like a chased chicken during actual, regular season games. Other players, like Deacon Jones (ever heard of him?), were still confused at times and weren't sure where to set at scrimmage after two, three years in the league! ...[There's an NFL Films footage showing the Deacon placing himself at scrimmage on the wrong spot of the DL and Merlin Olsen urging him to change, to move just before the ball was snapped.]

"Whenever he's ready, he's ready." --Coach MM. I trust AB WIL BE in due time.

I agree though in that press scrutiny is definitely ... most definitely ... a way of life in pro sports. And our first rounder should get used to it quickly. Fair or unfair, it's to him to prove the right and the wrong about the comments of the reporters.
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-05-2005 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Typo