larams1980 is offline Registered User

Debt concerns emerge regarding Khan's bid for the Rams

As the NFL commences the process of inspecting the details of the bid compiled by would-be Rams owner Shahid Khan, issues have emerged regarding the structure of the deal.

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the league is scrutinizing the debt that Khan will be incurring as he raises the necessary cash. Per Kaplan, Khan would be borrowing against Flex-N-Gate, the automotive parts company he owns.

"Mr. Khan has not completed his financial arrangements, and until then, any discussion about it would be pure speculation," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Kaplan. McCarthy also explained that the league treats debt differently based on whether the collateral is the team or some other asset, like a separate business.

The wild card continues to be minority owner Stan Kroenke, who has the power to match Khan's offer and purchase the 60-percent stake Khan hopes to buy from Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. Kroenke also has the power to tell Khan to buy out Kroenke's 40 percent.

Meanwhile, St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts remains on standby, with a bid that reportedly includes Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk, who recently made it clear that he would have done more than fire the trainer after a 1-15 season

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Debt concerns emerge regarding Khan's bid for the Rams

Where were these articles written? It's rather difficult to judge the importance or validity of something with no idea as to where it came from.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Profootballtalk...

I find this kind of humorous:

"Mr. Khan has not completed his financial arrangements, and until then, any discussion about it would be pure speculation,"
    So the article says any talk would be pure speculation, then the article goes on to speculate

I'm not sure I would consider this real news then, given the place it comes from and the obvious speculative nature.

The fact that it currently isn't on NFL.com suggests to me that it's nothing major. In fact what they are calling debt (backing his bid with his company) is a rather normal business practice when dealing with this much money. Banks want to know that if you can't (for whatever reason) pay for it that there is something solid backing you from which they can recieve payment.

I'm not seeing the problem...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I'm not sure I would consider this real news then, given the place it comes from and the obvious speculative nature.

The fact that it currently isn't on NFL.com suggests to me that it's nothing major. In fact what they are calling debt (backing his bid with his company) is a rather normal business practice when dealing with this much money. Banks want to know that if you can't (for whatever reason) pay for it that there is something solid backing you from which they can recieve payment.

I'm not seeing the problem...
    Going to ProFootballTalk for information about the Rams. That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Going to ProFootballTalk for information about the Rams. That's the problem.
    Fair point

helorm341 is offline Registered User

PFT makes sensationalist headlines to generate clicks

Many times if you check their sources, they are writers who are speculating. For instance, they had a rumor that St Louis was interested in Vick and they cited Jim Thomas, but if you went and saw their source it was one of Jim Thomas' chats and he was only giving his opinion on what the Rams should do, not that they WERE doing it

Or other times they'll take a small kernel of information from a rumor and wildly speculate about it, trying to pass it off as a fact.

To be fair, I have no idea what the article in this case says, because if you check their source it goes to a site that wants to you to pay for a subscription to it before you can read beyond the first sentence of an article

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    PFT makes sensationalist headlines to generate clicks

Many times if you check their sources, they are writers who are speculating. For instance, they had a rumor that St Louis was interested in Vick and they cited Jim Thomas, but if you went and saw their source it was one of Jim Thomas' chats and he was only giving his opinion on what the Rams should do, not that they WERE doing it

Or other times they'll take a small kernel of information from a rumor and wildly speculate about it, trying to pass it off as a fact.

To be fair, I have no idea what the article in this case says, because if you check their source it goes to a site that wants to you to pay for a subscription to it before you can read beyond the first sentence of an article

The subscription thing is a good way for PFT to hide their source. Most people won't care enough to subscribe to some random website for information on a half-baked story...so no one will check their facts.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This is clearly a big story, as $750 Million deals typically close within a day or two with little or no issues.

*ERROR MESSAGE: SARCASM OVERLOAD IMMINENT. PLEASE EVACUATE WEBSITE. DANGER! DANGER!*

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by larams1980 View Post
    Meanwhile, St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts remains on standby, with a bid that reportedly includes Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk, who recently made it clear that he would have done more than fire the trainer after a 1-15 season
    Wait, Checketts, Faulk, and Dickerson? I'm not crazy about the idea of group ownership, but that would make things interesting.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Pft=tmz!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

"...and Marshall Faulk, who recently made it clear that he would have done more than fire the trainer after a 1-15 season.."

I'm beginning to think Faulk doesn't like Despags. I'm also starting to not like Faulk with his repeated shots at Spags and company for trying to fix this crap football organization. Clearing out the guys who were openly wishing they were back in LA and weren't even part of the team was a good move by Devaney. The more i think about it, the mroe I think getting a new, younger, trainer with new, more modern methods of training and injury prevention and treatment just make sense.

There were a few questionable coaching calls this season but what coach doesn't have those? Not everyone is going to agree on how things should be done in situations.

Overall, I don't see how you can make a strong case against Despags.