Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: December 24, 2011-the turning point in Rams history

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: December 24, 2011-the turning point in Rams history

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree. The fact that a particular loss - when coupled with timing, fate, and a great trade by the front office - conferred a benefit upon the Rams does not, in my mind, justify hoping for losses.

When you're on the field, you try to win.
    I think it's more so, well, when we sucked we all wanted to win anyway, but looking back, I'm certainly glad we were able to get into the position we got because it's paying dividends right now and still is. I'd never advocate for purposely losing but, to me, it would've been a massive kick in the balls to miss out on the opportunity that was presented to us simply by winning a meaningless Week 15 game. Things happen for a reason and I'd like to think that, through all our suffering we've gone through together, because of it we are now going to be rewarded.

I for one am glad Jeff Fisher and Les Snead are on our side.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

We have a perfect storm brewing with the ability to pick elite talent through the draft and are blessed to have a FO that is FINALLY worth a damn. To be honest with you in war you have to worry about being Strategic and Tactical and make no mistake when Sunday comes around it is war against other cities/ money/power/ livelihoods/ fan bases/ hopes and dreams. I will say with the 800 players we had on IR and horrible everything that year I started rooting to have one of the two first picks so we could use a potential trade to get this franchise back to glory. A couple of meaningless battles are a small price to pay to win the war IMO. In no way is this pretty but you have to focus on the end game and the final result and as General Counsel said that's to bring titles back to The Ram organization.
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -05-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Randart is offline Registered User

Interesting thoughts guys... always torn in these situations as well. I remember the pain of the season in question I think we set records for missed games by our players as a organization! I still did not root for the rams to lose.

But this takes me to a story about another team I root for the LA Kings of the NHL. Another team that was abysmaal for a few seasons and as an aside had never won a championship in over 40 years! There were a couple seasons before they turned it around they were up for the number 1 pick in the draft. Never did get it but man those number two and three's sure worked out! One season was even labeled, ' Tanking for Tavares ' a top flight pick we did not get cause we pulled out a last second victory in a meaningless game near the end of the season to lose out on the top pick! But as I said guess what the other teams that picked first still have not won a championship but the Kings oh yeah they are reigning champs!

Just a insight into how you should never root for your team to lose even if that player, carrot or character seems so tantalizing...

Beastified is offline Registered User

You are not a true Rams fan if you did not root/hope for a loss that game. What, you want to win in a meaningless game in a meaningless season and sacrifice that 1 game for 10 years of success? This reminds me of the selfish kid who wants everything now and doesn't realize that if he waits his turn good things come about.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    We probably just wouldn't have brockers. And we would probably have morris claiborne instead of janoris jenkins. And I guess no ogletree. Would that be the only difference?
    Butterfly effect?
    THOLTFAN81 and RuffRams like this.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Truth is offline Registered User

I think I have to agree with GC on this post. As for rooting for the Rams to lose...while I LOVE to see the Rams win a game, when you are 2-13, and your season is LONG gone, it's time to start rooting for the teams future. I will take the long view on this one. Winning one very meaningless game would have done nothing to improve the teams spirits, or the team in general the next season. Losing a game, in this case, gave us many long term gains. I do not take a Rams loss lightly (ask my son). But a win in a meaningless game would have been worse for the TEAM in this particular case.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    You are not a true Rams fan if you did not root/hope for a loss that game. What, you want to win in a meaningless game in a meaningless season and sacrifice that 1 game for 10 years of success? This reminds me of the selfish kid who wants everything now and doesn't realize that if he waits his turn good things come about.
    I've been trying to formulate a response to this post in my head, and even wrote a couple out, for this. But I cannot seem to come up with one that doesn't sound just as juvenile ...
    RamFan_Til_I_Die likes this.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

macrammer is offline Registered User

I regret we lost so many games in 2011
    Truth likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

All this back and forth is fun, but did anyone really expect Spagnuolo to pull this one out? That season is hands down the most pathetic Rams season I have watched. You know you hit rock bottom when you lose 27-0 to a 100 year old quarterback (Charlie Batch).

Truthfully, I lost all hope in the organization during the last few games that year so I was not only rooting for the #2, but rooting for Spagnuolo to be fired. We were just not competitive and had zero vision besides the "Four Pillars"

Having said that, Beastifieds post of "Not true Rams fans" is false. This is more of a matter of opinion and your desires. At the end of the day, whether you rooted for the Rams to lose or win that meaningless game we all love the Rams just the same.
    sosa39rams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

One assumption that continues to be made is that losing a "meaningless game" (there's no such thing) in order to move up the draft board will result in long-term success. If that were true then why do certain teams (Browns, Cardinals, Lions, etc.) year after year pick high up the board, and yet have found no long term success? While on the other hand, teams that pick near the bottom of the draft board continue to win on a long-term basis?

The answer: Winning breeds winning. A franchise does not become a long-term winner because they crap out a season then pick high in the draft. A franchise becomes a winner by being winners.
    VegasRam and BIG-BLUE like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The answer: Winning breeds winning. A franchise does not become a long-term winner because they crap out a season then pick high in the draft. A franchise becomes a winner by being winners.
    Say it to the Colts last year....

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    I'm not sure if that is the most idiot post ever on these boards, but I'm pretty sure its in the top 10. (I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.)

By that logic, once the Rams are eliminated from the playoffs, fans should hope that they punt on first down, deliberately fumble the ball, and otherwise throw each game.

Heck... take it a step further. If you don't think the Rams have a legitimate shot to win it all this year, they should just throw every game so they can take Jadeveon Clowney or trade next year's #1 overall for a boatload of picks.

A fan's "job" it to pull for the team to win. Once a loss has occurred, there's nothing wrong with recognizing the silver lining (i.e. better draft position) that might result. That's not the same as hoping the team loses, though.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-06-2013 at 12:12 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think the Colts are a perfect example, actually. The reason they were able to turn things around so quickly in 2012 was that they have been a winning franchise for years, and 2011 was a aberration resulting from injuries (Peyton Manning's, most notably). The fact that they were able to obtain a franchise QB in the 2012 was (no pun intended) pure luck.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Oh you mean the Colts that made the playoffs 9 straight years, and 14 of the past 18 seasons? That's the team that you feel was magically transformed into a winning franchise by a high draft pick?

As I said, winning breeds winning.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Beastified is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not sure if that is the most idiot post ever on these boards, but I'm pretty sure its in the top 10. (I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.)

By that logic, once the Rams are eliminated from the playoffs, fans should hope that they punt on first down, deliberately fumble the ball, and otherwise throw each game.

Heck... take it a step further. If you don't think the Rams have a legitimate shot to win it all this year, they should just throw every game so they can take Jadeveon Clowney or trade next year's #1 overall for a boatload of picks.

A fan's "job" it to pull for the team to win. Once a loss has occurred, there's nothing wrong with recognizing the silver lining (i.e. better draft position) that might result. That's not the same as hoping the team loses, though.
    You want to have a poll on who's logic makes more sense?

A) Winning a game when you are already 2-13, and as a result do not gain the tremendous advantage of 2 extra 1st round picks and a 2nd.

B) Lose the game, you're already 2-13. The coaches are going to get fired anyway.

Also, a fan has no job other than to enjoy themselves and have a good time. I bet you that you will get much more enjoyment watching the Rams for the next 10 years with an electrifying player like RG3 or Tavon Austin as well as other players instead of getting that 1 win in a meaningless season.

Do you really have that hard of a time looking at the big picture? I don't even understand why this is an arguement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast