throwback week

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: December 24, 2011-the turning point in Rams history

Beastified is offline Registered User

Re: December 24, 2011-the turning point in Rams history

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    One assumption that continues to be made is that losing a "meaningless game" (there's no such thing) in order to move up the draft board will result in long-term success. If that were true then why do certain teams (Browns, Cardinals, Lions, etc.) year after year pick high up the board, and yet have found no long term success? While on the other hand, teams that pick near the bottom of the draft board continue to win on a long-term basis?

The answer: Winning breeds winning. A franchise does not become a long-term winner because they crap out a season then pick high in the draft. A franchise becomes a winner by being winners.
    Well this entire post pretty much states the obvious. I think we all know that you have to use your picks correctly as well. It seems you are avoiding the fact that 3 1st round picks + 2nd > 1. Losing that extra game makes a worlds of difference. You will win more games with 3 1st round players instead of just 1.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    You want to have a poll on who's logic makes more sense?

A) Winning a game when you are already 2-13, and as a result do not gain the tremendous advantage of 2 extra 1st round picks and a 2nd.

B) Lose the game, you're already 2-13. The coaches are going to get fired anyway.

Also, a fan has no job other than to enjoy themselves and have a good time. I bet you that you will get much more enjoyment watching the Rams for the next 10 years with an electrifying player like RG3 or Tavon Austin as well as other players instead of getting that 1 win in a meaningless season.

Do you really have that hard of a time looking at the big picture? I don't even understand why this is an arguement.
    The reason is that you are approaching the issue entirely from a standpoint of hindsight.

Sure, the fact that the Rams ended up with the 2nd pick, rather than the 3rd pick, allowed them to make a great trade, but that outcome was not known on December 23rd.

What did we know at that point?

Well, I'll tell you what we didn't know. We didn't know that RGIII was definitely going to declare for the draft (he didn't announce that until mid-January). We certainly didn't know that the Redskins (or any other team) would covet RGIII so much that they would offer the team with the 2nd pick in the draft a King's ransom to trade up four spots.

In hindsight, that loss worked out well for us.

On the day of the game, however, I pulled for the Rams, and if a similar situation presented itself in the future, I'd do the same.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Also.. would jeff fisher have taken this job if not the opportunity to get a lot of picks?
    Beastified likes this.

Most people would have assumed that on Dec 23rd that RG3 would declare. Besides, even if I wasn't 100% sure, I'd rather take the loss and be safe than sorry.

If you would do the same again, then you are a bonehead.

I thought you were a lawyer? Cmon, you've been looking at the burnage for the last 10 minutes, you have to be quicker on your feet man. Get out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Also.. would jeff fisher have taken this job if not the opportunity to get a lot of picks?
    Of course he would have. He didn't know that the trade would happen when he took the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified
    Most people would have assumed that on Dec 23rd that RG3 would declare. Besides, even if I wasn't 100% sure, I'd rather take the loss and be safe than sorry.

Given that you've either ignored or failed to comprehend 90% of my response, I think you might want to check the thickness of your own cranium before you start making comments like that.

But let's take your assertion at face value...

Where do you draw the line?

Last year, the Rams were eliminated from the playoffs after 15 games. If they had won in the final week of the season, it would have impacted our draft position (moving us from 16 to 18, as it turned out, based on other final week outcomes). If that had happened, the deal up to #8 would have cost more. Maybe it would have become too expensive, and we would not have been able to trade up to get Tavon Austin.

So... were you hoping that the Rams would lose?

(And, should the Rams have also lost the prior week at Tampa - after all that would have moved them from pick #16 to pick #11, making the Austin trade far less expensive).

If you answer the question "no," then you're simply a hypocrite and a fraud.

Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-06-2013 at 05:33 PM.

I thought you were a lawyer? Cmon, you've been looking at the burnage for the last 10 minutes, you have to be quicker on your feet man. Get out of here.
    "Burnage"?

I'm sorry... I thought I was speaking to someone over the age of 11.

My mistake. Now turn off Nickelodeon and finish your homework.
    ramsanddodgers and Beastified like this.

thoey is offline Registered User

This is the way I look at this. For the upcoming 2013 season, I go into each game wanting the team to win. Now, looking back on that 2011 season, as dreadful as it was, it appears* like we will be a better team in the future because it.

* - While things looked better last season and we appear to a bright future ahead of us, we still don't know whether or not we are a better team due to the last two drafts. We'll know that three or four years from now.
    This space for rent...

macrammer is online now Registered User

In all of my years as a sports fan, I can honestly say I have never rooted, hoped nor wished for my team to lose. And I can honestly say that I will continue that type of thought process going forward.
    r8rh8rmike and ramsanddodgers like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

IMO,

Stan putting his stamp on this franchise, by hiring Fisher and Snead, will prove to be the biggest factor if we get completely through the turn. So far, we've just entered the turn.

I'm certain we all realize that this years draft class has yet to contribute to a single win for our Rams.

Strong coaching, continued player development and acquisition, led by Fisher and Snead will be the keys to future success.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well this entire post pretty much states the obvious.
    And yet the obvious remains difficult for one to grasp.
    Last edited by HUbison; -05-07-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Having a discussion about this subject I could hear your side to a certain point but that wasn't needed at all and you have now lost credibility. You are now going to feel the wrath of being a muggle on this board. HARRY POTTER FTW!!!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Ok so are we rooting for the Rams to win or lose this year I'm confused
    HUbison likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Lose! We want the #1 next year as well!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    It sounds like we need to lose so we can win. Because if we win then we won't be able to win. But if we lose then we will definitely win, since if we lose we will stop losing.

It's starting to sound like a Loser's Anonymous intervention:

Rams, we're here because we love you and want what's best for you, so we've come here to ask you to stop losing.

It's not like I have a problem; I can stop losing whenever I want. I choose to lose a little bit on the weekend, just to relax a little. I don't NEED to lose. I'm in control of my losing!
    AvengerRam and sjacksonrules like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast