MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Decent article on Softli's role in the draft ...

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/61243/

Next year with Softli's computer system fully implemented, we will have another good draft ...

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Decent article on Softli's role in the draft ...

Here's a copy of the article:

Softli Settles In After First Draft in St. Louis
    Thursday, May 3, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

When the Miami Dolphins used the ninth pick in this year’s NFL Draft on Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn Jr., there were gasps and a little bit of shock in various war rooms all over the NFL. But in St. Louis, the selection of Ginn was greeted only with a smile, a brief conversation and a knowing look between Rams coach Scott Linehan and Vice President of Player Personnel Tony Softli.

“I looked at coach and said, ‘I think our guy is going to be there,’” Softli said. I said I think (Adam) Carriker is going to be there for us. We both kind of looked at each other and we kind of went back to doing some things. I just wanted to let him know we had a really good chance of him sitting there.”

Indeed, things played out that way for most of Softli’s first draft in St. Louis. With Softli, Linehan, the scouts, team President John Shaw and President of Football Operations Jay Zygmunt on the same page, things couldn’t have gone smoother last weekend.

“It was outstanding,” Linehan said. “Tony does a great job at what he does. He’s got a lot of experience in the draft room and knows how drafts go. I have to give Tony credit. More adjusting probably had to come from him than it had to come from us, which I understand because I’ve been in that boat, too.”

The Rams hired Softli away from Carolina on June 20 of last year and Softli wasted no time getting to work on this year’s draft. Although he was present at a number of the Rams’ games, he was on the road forming opinions on the top talent in this year’s draft for a lot of the time.

As he watched the Rams close with a flourish to finish 8-8, Softli helped identify needs for free agency and the draft that could help push the team over the top and back into the playoffs.

Along with outgoing Vice President of Pro Personnel Charley Armey, Softli provided the coaching staff with a top five list of available free agents at every position and, in some cases for positions of particular need, a list of 10.

Linehan and Zygmunt took the reins from there, adding the likes of receiver Drew Bennett, linebacker Chris Draft and defensive end James Hall through free agent signings or trades.

“They knew what they wanted based off evaluations from the personnel side and the coaching side and they did an exceptional job of getting some free agents in here that will push for some starting jobs but also help our depth,” Softli said. “I am extremely pleased on how the free agency period went.”

Soon after putting that package together, Softli focused him and his department’s attention on the upcoming NFL Draft. With the scouting combine and the Senior Bowl out of the way, the time came to start stacking the board.

Softli brought some added touches to the scouting department to aid in the draft cause. One such addition was the horizontal draft board, which allows teams to separate players by overall ranking and by position.

“I brought in the horizontal board that I don’t think they have used in the past,” Softli said. “I introduced that to them and a couple of other boards that made some information jump out.”

But because of his relatively late arrival, some of his ideas didn’t have time to develop into reality. For instance, Softli is known for helping to develop a sophisticated computer database system that allows teams to click a button to get any and all information that is needed on a player.

There simply wasn’t enough time to put that into place for this year’s draft, but the implementation of it has already begun and Softli anticipates it being ready for 2008.

After stacking the board and attending the Senior Bowl and the Combine, Softli started learning some of the inner workings of the adjustment he was going to have to make in his transition from Carolina.

Even that aspect of his new position went smooth, though.

“I had to learn their process on doing a few things and the final touches on the board and the scenarios we go through were a little different process wise than what I did in Carolina,” Softli said. “To me, it was a little bit of an education and adjustment but not hard at all.”

In working with his fourth head coach and any number of general managers and coordinators through the years, Softli also adjusted to how Linehan wanted to approach the draft.

Unlike some coaches, Linehan wanted to be particularly active in going to the various campus workouts and Pro Days to get an up close look at some of the top prospects.

Linehan accompanied Softli to workouts at places such as Tennessee, Texas and Nebraska. Of course, the Nebraska workout will go down as the place where Carriker solidified his spot as the object of the Rams’ first-round desire.

“Every head coach has a different process that they use,” Softli said. “The process Scott used was good with me because I wanted him to come out and see these guys, to see them live. (When) you get out to the school and talk to the coaches and see him in his environment and go through the process again and talk to him again it’s huge. How Scott went about that I was all for. It was a good working relationship.”

By the time draft day came, Softli and the others in the organization involved in the draft all were on the same page, a rare occurrence in draft rooms anyway, but even more impressive considering the relative lack of time the group has had to spend together.

As the 13th pick drew near, nearly everyone in the room had agreed that Carriker would be the choice. When he fell to the Rams, it became a no brainer. That trend continued for most of the day.

And though there was plenty of speculation about a potential trade for a defender such as Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, Softli says nothing really ever developed and the Rams spent their time focusing on getting better through the draft.

With one full offseason in the books, Softli has already begun working on next year’s draft. Sitting in his office talking with a reporter, the list of names with various marks on it sat waiting to be scrutinized and broken down.

There Softli sat, ready to get back to work in a job that never really ends.

“He’s somebody who I confide in on any decision we make,” Linehan said. “We make the decision together as a team. There’s no bickering. That doesn’t mean that we always agree, but when we pick and when we get to the point when we’re deciding on who we’re picking, we do it as a team. I really like the way it worked.”

Although Softli says you can’t truly evaluate a draft class until it has been in the league for three years, he, too, was happy with not only who the Rams added in free agency, but also with the way everything went.

“If everybody agrees there is a problem,” Softli said. “Everybody sees things a little bit differently, but really we should be seeing things the same in the big picture. Coach Linehan always says, ‘It doesn’t matter who gets the credit; it’s how we get it done and it’s a Ram decision.’”

Dominator Guest

I understand that it probably secured Carriker would be there, but I'm not sold on the significance of Ginn's selection. 99% of people had the Dolphins picking Quinn and Quinn went after the Rams pick.

Am I missing something? Softli has been with the Rams since June. Why will it take another year to fully implement his computer system?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    Here's a copy of the article:

Softli Settles In After First Draft in St. Louis
    Thursday, May 3, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Coach Linehan always says, ‘It doesn’t matter who gets the credit; it’s how we get it done and it’s a Ram decision.’”
    I'm liking Scott Linehan more and more. It's all about our RAMS period.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I understand that it probably secured Carriker would be there, but I'm not sold on the significance of Ginn's selection. 99% of people had the Dolphins picking Quinn and Quinn went after the Rams pick.
    IMO I would say 99% of the people did not have Ginn going that high.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-05-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Dominator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    IMO I would say 99% of the people had Ginn going that high.
    I don't think I'd seen anybody with Ginn that high for months. He might have moved back up a little after finally running, but considering he was still wearing a boot not many people thought he'd go top 20, let alone top 10. If Softli expected Ginn to go that high his comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

sounds like this cat knows what he's doing... he took a chance on chris gamble and look what happened, he took a chance on deshawn foster and look what happened... he seems like a solid talent evaluator...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    sounds like this cat knows what he's doing... he took a chance on chris gamble and look what happened, he took a chance on deshawn foster and look what happened... he seems like a solid talent evaluator...
    I hope your right, after so many bad choices the past few years it would be nice to finally get it right.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Linehan and Softli are establishing themselves as a savvy personnel duo for years to come. They have made a contientious effort to improve this defense (Hill, Carrker, Alston, Wroten, Wade) through the draft and through trades and free agency as well (Witherspoon, Glover, Chavous, Hall). Here's to a successfull future as spearheads of the Rams organisation.