throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Decision costs the Rams

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/18/2007

On a day when the Rams' defense yielded only 186 yards, the only glaring blemish was a 43-yard touchdown run by San Francisco's Frank Gore on a fourth-and-1 play late in the third quarter. Strong safety Corey Chavous went for the football near the line of scrimmage, and Gore made Chavous and the Rams pay.

"I tried to strip the ball, and he spun while I was stripping it, and basically got away from me," Chavous said. "It just led to him breaking more tackles."

Gore was sidelined during the exhibition season with a broken hand, so the Rams stressed even more than usual trying to strip the football.

"We know he had the hand problem," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "I thought we were doing a good job of trying to get the ball out. But in that case, I think Corey just made a poor decision. ... You've got to secure the tackle first, and then the second and third men in have to try to get the ball out."

In that case, even if Gore gets the first down, the ***** still have about 40 yards to go for a TD.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW

All five Rams turnovers this season have come on fumbles. One of the fumbles came Sunday when quarterback Marc Bulger lost the ball on a sack. No matter how careful you are with the football, that's going to happen from time to time.

But what's confounding about the giveaways is that wide receiver Torry Holt, wide receiver-return man Dante Hall (above) and running back Steven Jackson aren't known as fumblers. Those three players have accounted for the other four lost fumbles. So sooner or later, this has to end, right?

"It can't last because we can't allow it to last," coach Scott Linehan said. "It's happening because we're too loose with the football. That starts with coaching. We say that we practice it, but it's not carrying over in the games. Hopefully, it's a lesson we've learned the hard way and we won't continue it."

INJURY UPDATE ST. LOUIS RAMS

— RG Richie Incognito (ankle) is expected to miss another week or two.

— CB Tye Hill (back) is expected to miss another three to five weeks, although the Rams deny he has broken ribs.

— LB Pisa Tinoisamoa (ankle) is questionable for Tampa Bay.

—OG Claude Terrell (thigh, knee) underwent an MRI on Monday, but the injury is not thought to be serious.

— OT Milford Brown (ankle) missed part of the *****' game, but the injury is not thought to be serious.

— WR Drew Bennett (quad) came out of the *****' game OK.

— QB Marc Bulger (ribs, knee) remained sore on Monday but is expected to be OK.

— DE Leonard Little (toe) should be fine for Sunday.

THE STAT

In 1998, the last time the Rams started 0-2 with both losses at home, the team finished 4-12.

QUOTABLE

"These are the challenges that make or break you. I think as a football team, we're a high-character group, and that character will be tested." — Chavous, on the 0-2 start.

LOOKING AHEAD

The Rams begin a stretch of six road contests over the next eight games with a trip to Tampa Bay. The Rams are 0-2 in Tampa since the move to St. Louis in 1995, having lost there most recently 26-14 in 2002. In that game, a battered Kurt Warner threw four interceptions, matching a career high, and was sacked five times.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Decision costs the Rams

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/18/2007

On a day when the Rams' defense yielded only 186 yards, the only glaring blemish was a 43-yard touchdown run by San Francisco's Frank Gore on a fourth-and-1 play late in the third quarter. Strong safety Corey Chavous went for the football near the line of scrimmage, and Gore made Chavous and the Rams pay.

"I tried to strip the ball, and he spun while I was stripping it, and basically got away from me," Chavous said. "It just led to him breaking more tackles."

Gore was sidelined during the exhibition season with a broken hand, so the Rams stressed even more than usual trying to strip the football.

"We know he had the hand problem," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "I thought we were doing a good job of trying to get the ball out. But in that case, I think Corey just made a poor decision. ... You've got to secure the tackle first, and then the second and third men in have to try to get the ball out."

In that case, even if Gore gets the first down, the ***** still have about 40 yards to go for a TD.
    You know what I'm sick of the excuses!

Jackson fumbles twice, Hall, Bulger, Holt have fumbled. Chavous trys to strip the ball instead of tackling the guy!!! I'm sick and tired of the excuses! If I were Linehan and the players should be happy that I'm not, there would be some clipboards, desks, headsets whatever flying all over that locker room. Heads would roll!!! These guys prepare and practice so much it just doesn't make any sense. This is the NFL, tackle football!! The team that scores the most points wins...it's that simple!

:x:x:x:x

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    THE STAT

In 1998, the last time the Rams started 0-2 with both losses at home, the team finished 4-12.
    Of course, the year after that we won it all, so 2008 is looking really good right now!

sprtsmac Guest

That's the spirit!!!

Dr5150 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac View Post
    That's the spirit!!!

It's all 20/20. The fact is that we did look better last week but not good enough to win. the good news is that we are in the National League worst and are still in the playoff hunt. Yes I am an optimist but we need to improve from last week, for TB will not roll over for us. I know it can happen, I just hope that it's not to late.

Heucrazy Guest

I would completely blame Bruce for your guys loss. Running straight out of bounds to avoid contact instead of turning up field to get the first was a chicken move and cost the Rams the game.

Holt and Bruce need to remember they're football players and try and break a tackle instead of sliding like girls.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Heucrazy View Post
    I would completely blame Bruce for your guys loss. Running straight out of bounds to avoid contact instead of turning up field to get the first was a chicken move and cost the Rams the game.

Holt and Bruce need to remember they're football players and try and break a tackle instead of sliding like girls.
    One, I'm not sure what play you're talking about but I assume you mean to end the game. At that point they needed to stop the clock and running out of bounds does that. They had one more down to get the first.

Two, Holt and Bruce are future hall of famers who know what to do and handle themselves. Stopping the clock and not getting hurt are better than wasting time trying to pick up one extra yard and possibly getting the ball stripped as you're stopped up.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Heucrazy View Post
    I think you're dead wrong. Bruce made a great catch that was behind him, then had to get both feet down before his momentum carried him out of bounds with the defender right in his face. He had nowhere to go but out of bounds. If I was going to lay any blame on that last series, it would be on Mark Settlerstrom who allowed Bryant Young to throw him down with one hand and get to Bulger for the sack on 2nd down with the ball on the whiner 45.

Nice try though Heucrazy.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Decision costs the Rams

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    You know what I'm sick of the excuses!

Jackson fumbles twice, Hall, Bulger, Holt have fumbled. Chavous trys to strip the ball instead of tackling the guy!!! I'm sick and tired of the excuses! If I were Linehan and the players should be happy that I'm not, there would be some clipboards, desks, headsets whatever flying all over that locker room. Heads would roll!!! These guys prepare and practice so much it just doesn't make any sense. This is the NFL, tackle football!! The team that scores the most points wins...it's that simple!

:x:x:x:x
    Easy there big guy, now take a deep breath & count to ten. And by all means back away from the firearms. Now put yourself in that happy place - there you go & doesnt that feel better. Now lets talk. Its not all that bad, clean up the fumbles & we are singing a total different tune here. Weve made a few mistakes and payed the price for them. I say forget them & lets pull out the positives of that game & move on. Cuz bottom line its in the record books we are 0-2, but we have 14 games left.

AlphaRam Guest

Many players made mistakes in the game so there is plenty of blame to spread around.. I also blame all of the people in attendance (I will not call them fans) that would not get off of their butt and yell when our defense was on the field.