Decision time draws near on McCollum, Timmerman
By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/21/2007

With the start of the free agency and trading period just 10 days away, the Rams are coming close to decision time on several veteran players, including center Andy McCollum and offensive guard Adam Timmerman.

"As of right now, we're still kind of status quo," coach Scott Linehan said Tuesday. "If we made a decision on one or both, it would probably be something we'd do prior to March 2. I've met with Jay about it."

Although Linehan didn't tip his hand, agent Mark Bartelstein who represents McCollum and Timmerman has an idea of how things will play out in the next week or so. He thinks McCollum will be back with the Rams, and Timmerman won't.

"I've talked to Jay on it," Bartelstein said. "I think there's a pretty strong possibility that Adam could be on the market. There's nothing definitive; that's just kind of my sense."

McCollum, 36, is coming off knee surgery after suffering a season-ending injury on opening day against Denver. Timmerman, 35, saw his string of 184 consecutive regular-season games played end in mid-December, largely because of a rib injury. In the final three games of the season, Brett Romberg played well at center and Richie Incognito played well at right guard, fueling speculation that a youth movement was under way on the offensive line.

McCollum is due to make $1 million in base salary next season. Timmerman is scheduled to make $2.2 million in base salary, but is also due a $200,000 roster bonus on March 4.

Holt's surgery

Wide receiver Torry Holt's knee surgery went well earlier this month, according to Linehan.

"He's been in here every day rehabbing," Linehan said. "They cleaned up some (meniscus) cartilage, and feel like he's going to be a lot better off. He's not going to have the pain he was getting the last two years. He was starting to feel it at the end of the season."

Holt should be at full speed well before the Rams begin their minicamps and other activities in the spring.

No tag this year

President of football operations Jay Zygmunt said Tuesday that the Rams will not use their franchise tag this season marking the second straight offseason that has happened.

"We kind of did what we had to get done," Zygmunt said.

The team probably would've placed the franchise tag on defensive end Leonard Little but was able to sign him to a contract extension in November.

Ram-blings

The Rams have added defensive linemen Tim Sandidge and Trevor Johnson to their offseason roster. Sandidge spent most of the 2006 season on the Rams' practice squad. Johnson played in one game for New Orleans in '06.

Sandidge, DE Mike Brown, CB Josh Lay, OT Jeremy Parquet and RB J.D. Washington have been assigned to NFL Europe.