general counsel is offline Registered User

the decision to try for a #2 from atlanta was....

Greedy in my opinion. From all reports, the rams wanted a #2 to go from 2 to 3 with the falcons. The falcons didnt bite and the rams took long at 2. I have no problem with the Long pick. My question is why did we not ask the falcons at the last minute for a #3 or even a #4. Maybe a #3 for a #4. Something much smaller.

We knew we would get Long at 3 (or dorsey). By asking for a 2, the rams were effectively saying that there was a very substantial difference between long and dorsey and that reasoning i dont buy into.

By the way, the falcons may not have given up anything to go from 3 to 2, but i think we should have asked for less once the original offer of the 2 was rejected.

Your thoughts guys.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: the decision to try for a #2 from atlanta was....

That's a valid point if the Falcons were willing to deal at all. Of course, as it turned out even when they got the shot at Dorsey, they passed and drafted Ryan (whom they knew we weren't going to take anyway).

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

ATL would be interested in trading only if they felt that Rams were planning to take Dorsey. Actually, that's not even true since ATL took Matt Ryan with Dorsey on the board anyway, but let's assume ATL actually did want Dorsey because that's probably what the Rams believed at the time.

The second the Rams start backtracking and going "oh, well how about a #3 then? No? How about a #4?" it's clear that the Rams are eager to move back only because they're not interested in Dorsey anyway.

So, the Rams might actually be more likely to swap with ATL if they demand a 2nd rounder, because then it actually appears that Dorsey is their guy.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Yeah I agree the Falcon where not taking Dorsey, but maybe they move up and then trade back. The Raven would have given them ore then a 3rd.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Yeah, this really only means anything if the Falcons were planning to take Dorsey or the Rams were thinking about taking Ryan. But as it turns out- the point was moot because neither was happening.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Yeah, this really only means anything if the Falcons were planning to take Dorsey or the Rams were thinking about taking Ryan. But as it turns out- the point was moot because neither was happening.
    Exactly. Atlanta has no motivation to trade up to take Matt Ryan, unless for some reason they felt the Ravens would leapfrog them. But that never seemed like that realistic of an option.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly. Atlanta has no motivation to trade up to take Matt Ryan, unless for some reason they felt the Ravens would leapfrog them. But that never seemed like that realistic of an option.
    But kudos to the Rams for broadcasting to the world that a Rams/Ravens trade was possible, even probable. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't......but that trade was the only draw that might make the Falcons flinch.

As it turns out, not even the Ravens gambit could budge the Falcons. Hats off to Dimitroff for staying put.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think the Falcons were quite happy to stay put either way and take one of Ryan or Dorsey, depending on how the draft panned out. They had no real need to be moving up because they would have been happy with either player

I appreciate that since ryan was the falcons guy they were very very unlikely to trade up, however, my point was that the rams had no way of knowing that ryan was the falcons guy. I didnt say that the falcons would have done the deal for less than a #2, only that i think that the rams should have tried.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I didnt say that the falcons would have done the deal for less than a #2, only that i think that the rams should have tried.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    How do we know they didn't?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

We dont know that they didnt, which is why my original post said that "from all reports." We may well have reduced our offer and still been rejected, which was the point of my post.

ramming speed to all

general counsel