RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Declining Attendance: Not Just the Rams Problem

Sometimes I wish I could sign into my work intranet from home, just so I could copy and paste info for things like this...

I work for a relatively small helathcare facilty - we have around 800 employees in 2 hospitals, as well as eight clinics and a small sattelite facility. Compared to the other guys in this town, we "ain't squat".

I check out the employee bulletin board every now and then, and a notice that was posted caught my eye:

"2009 NFL Season Tickets. Discount for Hospital Employees."

Of course, I had to look. I wish I didn't.

Inside, there was a copy of an e-mail exchange between our Human Resources Director and some guy in the KC Chiefs front office. Apparently, sales of the not-so-great seat season tickets have fallen flat - flat enough to offer them to people 180 miles away at slightly discounted prices.

This got me to thinking about how there has been a lot of talk about not enough butts in the seats at Rams games. Now, I decided to do a very unscientific survey of the Rams fans I personally know. What I found out is that they fall inot two categories: 1.) They are economically comfortable, but have cut back on the "extras", including travelling to Rams games. or 2.) They are dirt-floor poor, and if they had some assurance that they would have a job come next month, they would gladly spend the cash for tickets.

We all talk about how winning games, or player "X", or (insert idea here) will bring the fans to the games, but in all seriousness, how much of the attendance problem is economically related? I don't live in the St. Louis metro area anymore, so I don't know how things are up there. It's not too bad here, but is still bad enough. I know K.C. has been hit hard.

OK, there it is - a thought to start a discussion. Now run with it.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: Declining Attendance: Not Just the Rams Problem

Not just the NFL Sam.

In England in the EPL attendances have been falling and ticket prices with them as people are looking to their own bottom line. There's also a perception that the associated expenses, travel, food, fuel etc have failed to depreciate at the same rate and so going to a game is still a fairly hefty financial committment.

If you then put those concerns in the context of an unsuccessful team, then you're going to have hard time filling your stadium.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

My brother has 4 season tickets to the Steelers and he has 6 kids and no money. He has been selling his tickets for years now.

Economic conditions could be a big reason for the lack of attendance. What does a baseball ticket cost in comparison in St Louis? They say it is a baseball town right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Baseball tickets in STL are cheaper in some sections, but there are also many more games on various nights of the week to choose from. It is a baseball town first and foremost, but it has a history of 108 years to draw from. That is something that takes time to develop in any city. I agree with Sam. This economy is having a big impact on attendance with all sports...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

People will always llok at value and return on the dollar. Whenever I am in a big city I look into getting tickets to an event. But then I am on vacation and budgeted for it. Still it shocks me how much it costs to just get a hotdog and a cup of beer
    I know the team has to make money to play the players and keep the lights on...but holy cow bat man. Did I mention I am traveling and staying in a hotel room? To enjoy a Rams game is about $1000 taking into account food-lodging-travel and extra's (like a t-shirt). So I don't get lots of games in as one can imagine. If the Rams do make it back to L.A. I count it will cost me nearly double.

But that is where the NFL comes up short as do the teams and their stadiums. First, make it easy to get hotel discounts and to know where the hotels are. Second provide as low a cost as possible transportation. Third, and most important, make an outing seeing the Rams an experience to remember. Clean the stadium--paint it and make it an attration--total Shock and Awh on the senses so people want to make that the first place they want to go on an outing/taking the wife or girl friend to, or better then going to the movies.

Better corporate sponsorship and involvement with local businessess. More options with viewing games. Sadly to say to watch the Rams I have to rely on Dirrect TV--but I also have DISH which is much better in my oppion. The NFL teams need to offer special viewing with cable companies as well as other providers. Imagine if the Rams could sell viewing of just their games to these companies and get a share of that revenue.

In general, teams and stadiums need to offer more value of entertainment for that dollar.

I went to some capitals hockey games years ago and the stands were pretty empty and the crowd was quiet. In recent years, I have been to a few games and it is completely different. There is a new sound system, video system, lots of noise and flashing lights, the kissing cam, the best fan cam, and people running around shooting tshirts and hot dogs into the audience. The fans are rocking the red and are very involved and the games are sold out. Granted dc is full of money even during recessions, but some people are looking for the show and they want to be wowed. Sometimes it is not really about the game, but the experience for the fans.

I do think that the Rams could benefit from adding some pop to the dome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Granted dc is full of money even during recessions, ...
    Yeah, our money!!!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Yeah, our money!!!
    no kidding....all that government money and people leaching off the tax money.

hockey tickets are expensive too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know it might be a Missouri thing? The waiting list for N.E. Patriots season tickets is like 6 years long. It actually costs $50.00 per year to keep your name on that list.

The Patriots will be sold out every game and the baseball RED SOX are the number one team around here.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

it's a good point about making the stadiums a fun place to be, for people who can afford to go to a game it becomes a great release for them,you go yell,jump around ,have fun,eat some food,have a couple of adult bevs and you can forget about how crappy things are for a couple of hours and thats why the teams should do more in the way of costs so more people can take part in games.

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    People will always llok at value and return on the dollar. Whenever I am in a big city I look into getting tickets to an event. But then I am on vacation and budgeted for it. Still it shocks me how much it costs to just get a hotdog and a cup of beer
    I know the team has to make money to play the players and keep the lights on...but holy cow bat man. Did I mention I am traveling and staying in a hotel room? To enjoy a Rams game is about $1000 taking into account food-lodging-travel and extra's (like a t-shirt). So I don't get lots of games in as one can imagine. If the Rams do make it back to L.A. I count it will cost me nearly double.

But that is where the NFL comes up short as do the teams and their stadiums. First, make it easy to get hotel discounts and to know where the hotels are. Second provide as low a cost as possible transportation. Third, and most important, make an outing seeing the Rams an experience to remember. Clean the stadium--paint it and make it an attration--total Shock and Awh on the senses so people want to make that the first place they want to go on an outing/taking the wife or girl friend to, or better then going to the movies.

Better corporate sponsorship and involvement with local businessess. More options with viewing games. Sadly to say to watch the Rams I have to rely on Dirrect TV--but I also have DISH which is much better in my oppion. The NFL teams need to offer special viewing with cable companies as well as other providers. Imagine if the Rams could sell viewing of just their games to these companies and get a share of that revenue.

In general, teams and stadiums need to offer more value of entertainment for that dollar.
    Excellent points. When the Rams were in Anaheim, I used to get a pretty good seat for around $12 with a serviceman's discount (I was serving in the Navy in Long Beach at the time.) So, I got to see Dickerson break O.J's record in 1984 against the Oilers for $12. I used to go to almost every home game in Anaheim from 1983 -1985 for that same price. The face value wasn't much more than that!

I agree with your points. It seems that the NFL has left the average fan behind. I think they have forgotten who raised the NFL to the stature the league now enjoys. The average fan can't afford tickets, food, and all the other things that go with a Sunday in an NFL stadium. Super Bowl tickets are priced so high that the only people who make that game are corporate high rollers and friends of those same people.

I understand that prices had to go up to continue putting a quality product on the field, but now it borders on the ridiculous. I used to be able to afford travel, lodging, food, and two tickets to one game a year in St. Louis. Now, I can't afford that. Until the fans become more important and the T.O.'s of the league begin to realize it, I think attendance will continue to dwindle. Beware of excuses. Remember, there are those who blame us, the fans, for attendance problems in L.A. We are now beginning to see the same things in St. Louis. Remember that everyone loves a winner, and not everyone that owns PSLs and season tickets in the dome are the devout fans one would think. They won't show up unless the team is winning.

Maybe the NFL could go to a value program that baseball is trying. That would be hard since NFL owners are more dependant on filling their stadiums to capacity.
    Last edited by laramsfan73; -06-06-2009 at 07:31 PM.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

For these times it would make sense, especially for teams who havent exactly met expectations the last couple of years, to drop ticket prices down a bit..maybe not too much but enough to get peoples attention to make an effort to at least attend..with this economy Pro Sports is nothing less than a luxury & im sure teams that arent so great at the point would definitely benefit by "bailing out" their fans..

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

The problem with the Rams isn't just declining attendance, it's total apathy from those that do go too. When I went to the Dolphins game in November, all around me looked as if they could barely be bothered to be there, a group to my left chatted to each other, barely looking at the field, and to my right a guy stared at his cellphone for a few hours. I find that attitude hard to grasp, I'm from a culture that views the crowd as part of the game, and even when my team (Hull City, EPL) are doing poorly the crowd are behind them and will attempt to lift the team. In November the only time the crowd were part of the game was to boo Bulger and Incognito, it was a real eye opener to me. Yeah I know the Rams have been awful the last couple of years, but to seemingly not care? Meh. I hope that when I next visit St. Louis things have changed.