Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Defending the defense while offending the pessimists

:l

Defending the defense might seem like a tough task to a lot of Rams fans these days. Why I choose to take on such a low, down, dirty task is beyond me. Maybe I'm the consummate Rams fan. The type that has always been in love with a bit of an underdog. Hey, if you have been a Rams fan for very long, you know what I'm talking about.

So where does one begin to defend this defense amongst all the pessimism? Since we can not predict the future, I say history is the best option.

Most of us remember what it was like to be a perennial basement dweller only to rise to the top after the '99 season with a shiny new Lombardi and high hopes for a repeat the following season.

And why not a repeat? We had the GSOT and a pretty good defense. Granted the defense was not the best, but it was no slouch. The majority of defensive starters returned, the defensive coordinator returned, the same scheme returned, and yet we all know that the bottom fell out in 2000.

Hmmm. Just goes to show how easily a group of players can rise and fall from season to season. Scheme, coaching, talent level are certainly factors, but ultimately it comes from within the group of players. They can rise. History has proven it.

So how good does this defense really need to be to win a championship? Our own Rams history and very recent history has proven they do not need to be the best defense in the league. They simply need to be good enough when it matters most.

Let's look a little deeper into that magical season of '99. There are those who claim that your best defense is a potent offense. I'm quite sure this is not entirely true. However, we have seen it work to our advantage. The potent offense of the '99 squad certainly helped the defense. The offense was able to score quickly and often. This put the defense in a good position against opposing offenses as they were forced to play catch-up. Our 2007 offense has the ability to be quite potent. This can help the 2007 defense. History has proven it.

Now Let's look at recent history. Most of us know that Baltimore had the #1 defense last season and where that got them. Did most of you also know that the Raiders had the number #3 defense in the league? I'm sure we all know where that got them. Our Rams of course came in at #23. Not good enough, some might say. Okay let's look further. Remember the Colts of last season? They finished at #21. Well, the Rams have no pass rush, some say. True, to some extent, however they were #8 in pass defense and #3 against receiving. Ah, but the Rams run defense is crap, some might add. Well that is correct. The Rams run defense finished just ahead of the last place Colts run defense.

Hmmm. How good does the defense need to be to win a championship? Certainly not the best. History has proven it.

Ultimately the best way to defend our Rams defense will come from their own fans. My point here is to try and bring to light that good things can and do happen. It's not all gloom and doom. Anything can happen during the course of a season. History has proven it.

:l

rampete Guest

Re: Defending the defense while offending the pessimists

nice refreshing post ferter...this is why we watch the game!

theodus69 Guest

I think all that is missing is a good(I say good) DT.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    My point here is to try and bring to light that good things can and do happen. It's not all gloom and doom. Anything can happen during the course of a season. History has proven it.
    Nice post Ferter. Let's hope that "good" history repeats itself. We're due.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Excellent post, you never know who's going to rise or fall. Hopefully we will rise up!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Good to see you around ferter with such positive thoughts oozing from your post. History has certainly shown that the best teams, statisticaly speaking, don't always win and that a great defense does not guarantee success in the playoffs. The bears and the colts are a great example.

Stick around and post ferter....you have been absent for a long time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

wow, I come back and now Ferter......what's up buddy.

Ok, aside from having a group hug, singing cumbaya, and passing out flowers at the airport....realistically there is very little talent on this defense. Hill has talent, Little, Witherspoon....those guys are talented. Pisa? still seems to miss on big plays. Chillar? serviceable. Kennedy? Bust so far. Everyone else besides Hill in the secondary? either too old or barely serviceable.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice post, Ferter.

If you look at the D, there are a lot of players with growth potential (GP), a couple in their prime (P) and few on the downside of their career (D).

DE Adeyanju - GP
    DE Hall - GP
    DT Kennedy - GP
    DT Wroten - GP
    DT Glover - D
    DE Little - P
    LB Witherspoon - P
    LB Tinoisamoa - GP
    LB Chillar - GP
    LB Alson - GP
    CB Brown - P
    CB Hill - GP
    CB Bartell - GP
    S Chavous - D
    S Atogwe - GP
    S Johnson - GP

Add in a couple of rookies, and there is room to improve from within. That's not to say that the FA market should be ignored, but certainly the Rams should not be paying big $ to get players who might not be better than the guys already here.

Clements is 6-0, 209......was one of the best DB against the run and is known as a shut down corner. He would have been a major upgrade to this defense and would have helped Hill in his progression. However, the Rams went after offense with Bennett knowing that this years draft is full of WR's.

Honestly, I think the Rams FO and coaching staff has given up on helping the defense this year and is just going to try to outscore everybody.

Get the Malox and Tums ready, it's going to be a crazy year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Clements is 6-0, 209......was one of the best DB against the run and is known as a shut down corner. He would have been a major upgrade to this defense and would have helped Hill in his progression. However, the Rams went after offense with Bennett knowing that this years draft is full of WR's.

Honestly, I think the Rams FO and coaching staff has given up on helping the defense this year and is just going to try to outscore everybody.

Get the Malox and Tums ready, it's going to be a crazy year.
    I allready have the I.V. tree on wheels ready to go. 1 empty bag is labeled "MALOX", on the other side of the tree is an empty bag labeled "CHAMPAGNE". Just waiting for the season to start.

I don't see how anyone can conclude that the Front Office is standing pat on the defense. If the Rams don't use their first round pick and either a second or a third on a defensive player, then I'd agree, but the draft is a big part of the upgrading process that can't simply be discounted.

I agree Av about the draft. I do and we all know that drafting defense takes time to develop. However, it just seems like the FO is more interested in putting fans in the seats for entertainment purposes than winning. Outside of Spoon, what was the last big FA defensive signing the Rams have had? I don't know outside of Little. And I really don't think you can blame Martz totally for all the failures the Rams have drafted defensively. We've let Dre Bly, London Fletcher, Grant Wistrom (at his prime), walk away and the Rams have resigned every key offensive player. To me, that tells me that this FO has pretty much put the D on the backside and went after the offensive entertainment value.

There's no question that the FO has attempted to maintain the GSOT entertainment factor, and has failed to retain some key defensive players as a result (I'd add Pickett and B.Fisher to the list). My hope is that the defensive players we've drafted (Wroten, Adeyanju, Hill, Atogwe, Bartell) will develop into a solid core.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

then we'll just watch them leave as free agents again as we did our other defensive players...

Krames41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Outside of Spoon, what was the last big FA defensive signing the Rams have had? I don't know outside of Little. And I really don't think you can blame Martz totally for all the failures the Rams have drafted defensively. We've let Dre Bly, London Fletcher, Grant Wistrom (at his prime), walk away and the Rams have resigned every key offensive player.
    1. Aneas Williams was the last defensive free agent impact player we've had. I wouldn't count Witherspoon as much of an impact player because of his position and the fact we still had one of the worst run defenses in the league.
    2. I would totally blame Martz for letting those players walk.
    3. Fletcher is way to old. Bly got run out of Detroit (who sucks). Grant Wistrom just got released because he wasn't worth the money it would have cost for the Rams to resign him. I agree we would probably have been better for two years, but we wold be hurting and needing to rebuild right now. Going into this year and the future, I would much rather have Hill, Witherspoon, Atogwe, Bartell, and Brown with more cap room because if the players you named were on the field right now, they would probably be pretty bad as well as injury proned.
    4. The Rams let a lot of key offensive players go like Roland Williams (the first time), Ernie Conwell, Az Hakim, Ryan Tucker, Kevin Curtis, Shawn McDonald, and Kurt Warner.

The way I see it, we made a lot of bad defensive decisions (particulary under Martz and Larry M) by not drafting well, and by trying to sign bad free agents. On the other hand the offense hasn't made many bad signings nor have the drafted poorly (hence success). The only way we are going to fix the defense, is to build on the players we have like Little and Pisa, and continuing to develop young players like Hill, Bartell, and Atogwe (who played very well last year and were all in there second year or below). The offense is now set for a couple of years, and we can focus our upcoming drafts on defense. I think Linehan and company did a very good job so far in free agency (Glover is a good leader for younger players, Witherspoon was decent, Brown was a huge upgrade, and they resigned Little and Pisa). They haven't overpaid anyone who has ended up sucking (although you can sort of make an argument about Glover). Now we just have to see how they draft. I think we just need to give Hasslet some time.
    Last edited by Krames41; -03-13-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast