Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Defending the defense while offending the pessimists

Ok, I'll give you Williams. Fletcher wasn't too old when he left for Buffalo. Bly was a Pro Bowl DB at Detroit, Wistrom had a good year in Seattle. Roland Williams wouldn't have been worth much, Conwell wasn't that much of a factor, Hakim fumbled, Tucker wasn't productive and Warner was damaged goods.

eldfan is offline Registered User

''Ferter"

Let's look a little deeper into that magical season of '99. There are those who claim that your best defense is a potent offense. I'm quite sure this is not entirely true. However, we have seen it work to our advantage. The potent offense of the '99 squad certainly helped the defense. The offense was able to score quickly and often. This put the defense in a good position against opposing offenses as they were forced to play catch-up. Our 2007 offense has the ability to be quite potent. This can help the 2007 defense. History has proven it.

I have to agree there is something to be said about a effective offense helping the defense. A explosive offense can put a team on it's heel and not let them run the ball like they want. Hiding the weakness of a undersize defense that wears out by game end. If we can hold down the turn overs this offense could be good enough to carry this team to a successful season.
    Last edited by eldfan; -03-14-2007 at 12:19 AM.
    :ramlogo:

Krames41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, I'll give you Williams. Fletcher wasn't too old when he left for Buffalo. Bly was a Pro Bowl DB at Detroit, Wistrom had a good year in Seattle. Roland Williams wouldn't have been worth much, Conwell wasn't that much of a factor, Hakim fumbled, Tucker wasn't productive and Warner was damaged goods.
    I'll give you that, your right about all of them (on the defense, I think your underrating those offensive players) but they still would be in a boat load of trouble if we held onto all of them until now.

Brain Daddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Hmmm. How good does the defense need to be to win a championship? Certainly not the best. History has proven it.

Ultimately the best way to defend our Rams defense will come from their own fans. My point here is to try and bring to light that good things can and do happen. It's not all gloom and doom. Anything can happen during the course of a season. History has proven it.
    What history has shown is that more often than not, teams don't win the SB without a good defense.

First, I think it's more important to look at scoring defense rather than the NFL's misleading "total defense". You'll notice Oakland's D is 18th, about middle of the pack. Their high total D ranking is probably due to their league-leading 46 giveaways, putting their defense on a short field and inflating the ranking.

When you look at scoring, you'll notice that since the first NFL-AFL Championship, 4 teams out of 41 have won a title without a defense ranked in the top 10. Since the 1980 season, 2 teams out of 27 (the '83 Raiders and '06 Colts) have won the SB without a top 10 defense. In contrast, 5 teams (the '82 Redskins, '90 Giants, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs, and '03 Patriots) have won the big game without a top 10 offense. Here's how it breaks down since the 1980 season:

Since 1980 (offense)
    Top 10 - 21/27 ('82 Redskins, '90 Giants, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs, '03 Patriots)
    Top 5 - 15/27
    Top 3 - 13/27
    1st - 6/27

Since 1980 (defense)
    Top 10 - 25/27 ('83 Raiders, '06 Colts)
    Top 5 - 18/27
    Top 3 - 16/27
    1st - 8/27

There isn't a huge disparity between top Os and top Ds, so while you are correct that a defense (or an offense, for that matter) doesn't have to be the best, it does need to be pretty darn good. If you're looking for a rule (to which there are always exceptions), I'd say it's important to be tops on both sides of the ball, but if you have to pick a side, your odds are better going defensively rather than offensively.

With that being said, as AV pointed out, there are alot of young guys with alot of growth potential on that side of the ball, with the draft still to come. Rams fans shouldn't start to worry until after the draft, should the team not address defensive needs then.

thoey is offline Registered User

BD, you keep talking like that and I might have to change my way of thinking about 9er fans...

Naaaaaahhhh...
    This space for rent...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12