Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Defense 2007 = Defense 2000???? Maybe

There Are So Many Quality Linebackers Out There Right Now... Edwards, June, Arrington, Hartwell, Reese, Draft, Spragan.... They Might Not Be Game Changing Linebackers, But They Are Better Than Chillar Thats For Sure... Unless The Front Office Knows Something That We Dont Know About Chillar...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The regular season doesn't start in the second week of March, so I'm not pushing the panic button just yet. There's still a number of opportunities for the Rams to add to their defense. If we're having these kinds of discussions in May, then perhaps we should be more concerned.

I somewhat agree with you Nick, but here's one scenario I haven't really discussed yet and would like to.

I think we missed out on Clements. If the Rams knew going in that a run stuffing, take up space, and defer blockers NT was not going to be available.....with all of our cap money.....I think they should have shored up the secondary. Clements would have been a very big help, more so than Hall, and they didn't even look that way.

I would have loved to have had a Hill/Clements secondary with our weak pass rush.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree standing fast is not the answer. However, if we don't do anything else draft or free agency wise I see us improving. Why? Hasletts 2nd season with the players and his scheme.
    Agreed. Last year Haslett had to scramble to try and put things together with players he knew little about. Big advantage this year in knowing what he has to work with IMO.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Yeah I'm afraid our defense could be as bad as 2000. This better be the best defensive draft we've ever had, or our offense better return to GSOT productivity levels otherwise with this defense it doesn't look like we're going very far. I appreciate that the FA talent pool was limited this year, but there were at least 5 or 10 players we could have used (many of which signed with division rivals). I don't understand why we focused so much attention on offense, are we trying to setup the kind of offense that can outscore everyone anytime and just letting the defense go?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    just bring players who want to win games period...anthony adams could be had for a pretty penny as with wistrom... we dont need stars we just need solid players
    Anthony Adams might have some possibilities. does anyone have an opinion or the particulars regarding this player? Er..pay no mind to the fact that he played next to Jimmy(-Dead-)Kennedy at Penn State; I'm confident that Jimmy the Dead's motivational problems did not rub off on Adams.

WHAT SAY YE?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I somewhat agree with you Nick, but here's one scenario I haven't really discussed yet and would like to.

I think we missed out on Clements. If the Rams knew going in that a run stuffing, take up space, and defer blockers NT was not going to be available.....with all of our cap money.....I think they should have shored up the secondary. Clements would have been a very big help, more so than Hall, and they didn't even look that way.

I would have loved to have had a Hill/Clements secondary with our weak pass rush.
    So you would have over paid for Clements like the **** did? It's only the second week of March, there are plenty of solid players still available.

Patients people.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RealRam is offline Registered User

It's a given that Coach Haslett is keenly aware of our weaknesses at defense. I trust that our D won't copy the dismal quality of the 2000 season and, in fact, that it will improve over last year's productivity, especially AGAINST THE RUN.

How? That of course is the suspense that keeps us wondering thus far.

Yes it's still early but there's nothing wrong with beginning to count the days until we land "a solid player" -- as Bruce4life mentioned. And count the days till D-day as well, contemplating the available college seniors.

Branch at DT? Okoye at DT? ...Ahh, my wishful thinking! :r

JRoc is offline Registered User

A lot of people seem to be hitting the panic button very early. There's still a long way to go and a lot will happen between now and the start of the season.

There are no free agents on the market worth breaking the bank for. The ***** paid over the odds for Clements. He's good but not so good that he's going to be able to stop our passing attack. I'd rather see the Rams spending smart and filling some depth needs than throwing money at over hyped players in a shallow free agent pool.

Ian Scott might be an interesting one to look at but I wouldn't be too disappointed if the Rams didn't go after him. More players will become avialable. That's not to say that any elite DT will but as it stands is there anyone out there worth signing?

There's still a lot of speculation and rumours to get through so lets not let ourselves get carried away too early.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Look guys, we can run the 46 defensive scheme of the 85 bears....if we don't have the "players" with at least some talent, we won't get a sniff of the playoffs or winning our division. I know it's cliche, but defense does win Championships, and that is what we're after, right?? The opportunities are slipping before our eyes, clements,porter, kearney,H.thomas, lewis,etc, granted , some of the other teams are better off, salary cap wise, but still, our Rams need to do something and not remain stagnant.

Krames41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Look guys, we can run the 46 defensive scheme of the 85 bears....if we don't have the "players" with at least some talent, we won't get a sniff of the playoffs or winning our division. I know it's cliche, but defense does win Championships, and that is what we're after, right?? The opportunities are slipping before our eyes, clements,porter, kearney,H.thomas, lewis,etc, granted , some of the other teams are better off, salary cap wise, but still, our Rams need to do something and not remain stagnant.
    I disagree. Defenses don't win championships, balance wins championships because everything works together. Your special teams sets up field position for your defense and offense, your offense keeps your defense off the field, and your defense sets up your offense to score. If you aren't firing on all cylnders you aren't going to win. The team that was playing the best on all sides of the ball (the colts) during the playoffs won, same with the year before, and three years before that. Even the 99 Greatest Show on Turf (best super bowl team ever) were good on all sides. We can't focus on upgrading only the defense, or only the offense, or just the defense and special teams, we have to improve everything. On top of that a lot of teams with great offenses and mediocre defenses made the playoffs (Chargers, Colts, Saints). And teams with good defenses and bad offenses (Minnesote, Oakland, and Washinton) didn't. The only way to fix our defense is going to be by drafting well. We can't waste more money on free agents like Coaxley, Claiborne, Herring, Glover, Duncan, ect. We've only had one free agent signing in the past ten years that made our defense a ton better, and that was Aeneas Williams (he is gonna be a hof). So unless you see any hall of fame free agents I wouldn't waste my money. I will admidt we have signed good additions like Witherspoon and Brown but neither put our defense over the top. Most impact players (which is what we lack other then Little) are kept within organizations with franchise tags (Freeney, and Charles Grant) or by being offered long term contract while still in season (Leonard Little). When you look at our defensive future, its going to be through guys like Tye Hill, Bartell, Pisa, Little, Atogwe, and other home grown talent. We didn't do a very good job of drafting defensivley under Martz (Kennedy, Pickett, Archeleta, Lewis, Polley, Thomas, Haragrove,) hence our current state. If we continue to add guys like Tye Hill and we can reestablish some impact players rather then role players like any of the free agents available, and if Hasslet develops players to fit his system rather then signing names like Porter and Williams (3-4 players as opposed to our 4-3). We will be a super bowl team again...I really think the only thing we can do it be patient because Martz built and left a really really really bad defense. In the mean time, we could at least keep ourselves in the game by making up for it on the offensive side of the ball. I would much rather have one great team in the future then a lot of mediocre teams in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    So you would have over paid for Clements like the **** did? It's only the second week of March, there are plenty of solid players still available.

Patients people.

Yes I would have. In this day and age of the NFL, there are always going to be one or two players on every successful team that may be overpaid but they are that producing factor that helps win championships. Some could honestly say that even Peyton is overpaid. We could have paid Clements and still been under the cap.

My point is this: we can sign all we want on the offensive side of the ball, but unless the Rams either A: find a D lineman out there with major talent, which they won't or B: shore up the pitiful secondary because they are going to be very busy, the Rams are going nowhere but 8-8 again this season.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

I have been impressed by the Rams attitude towards this free agency, they realize that we are an offensive team that scores points to win games. Our offense is aging, with Bruce's retirement right around the corner. The addition of two solid targets in Bennet and McMichael adds a whole other dimension that the Rams have lacked for a while.

Defensively the guys being picked up by division rivals are not worth the contracts and will undoubtably place them in cap trouble down the road. THe rams dont need old, slow big name players, they need young, eager talent that wants to play football not pick up checks.

The draft is still to come of course, but if they pick up some quality players in the first couple rounds then i think the defense will improve drastically over last year, especially with Haslett having another year to instil his attitudes.
    Defence Wins Championships

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Yes I would have. In this day and age of the NFL, there are always going to be one or two players on every successful team that may be overpaid but they are that producing factor that helps win championships. Some could honestly say that even Peyton is overpaid. We could have paid Clements and still been under the cap.

My point is this: we can sign all we want on the offensive side of the ball, but unless the Rams either A: find a D lineman out there with major talent, which they won't or B: shore up the pitiful secondary because they are going to be very busy, the Rams are going nowhere but 8-8 again this season.
    I don't think the secondary is really our problem Tx. As a unit they had to try and perform in the worst kind of situation with almost zero support up front and actually held their own a lot of the time IMO. I'm not sure it matters who you put back there if the opposing quarterback has all day to throw and pick you apart.

As for Clements, spending $80 million for a player who could only marginally help the defense would have been a mistake. Teams don't throw at us, they run on us at will, with good reason. Paying crazy money for a cover corner who would rarely get the chance to make an impact would not have been the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't think the secondary is really our problem Tx. As a unit they had to try and perform in the worst kind of situation with almost zero support up front and actually held their own a lot of the time IMO. I'm not sure it matters who you put back there if the opposing quarterback has all day to throw and pick you apart.

As for Clements, spending $80 million for a player who could only marginally help the defense would have been a mistake. Teams don't throw at us, they run on us at will, with good reason. Paying crazy money for a cover corner who would rarely get the chance to make an impact would not have been the answer.
    Well, you sort of validated my point. Here's why. If we get zero support up front, don't we need better support back behind? Clements isn't a marginal player. He is much better than Bartell, Holt and Bruce and Pace are getting up there, and time is of the essence. If the Rams can't find someone up front to help the D, then Clements would have been better than standing pat. As it looks now, the Rams better score 40 a game.

CoMoChief Guest

You guys want Kaweaka Mitchell? KC just signed Donnie Edwards today. Kendrell Bell will probably get cut June 1st.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast