Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Defense 2007 = Defense 2000???? Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    2. At this point the 2007 defense looks exactly like the 2006 defense. All 11 starters are still under contract, and the top 11 tacklers are returning. It seems to me, even if we did nothing in the draft, the 2007 defense is most like going to perform at a level near the 2006 team.
    I'm not so sure about this HUb. Last years D was plagued by injuries that never let any continuity or cohesiveness develop, plus guys like Hill and Adeyanju had to try and learn amidst the chaos. If we can stay relatively healthy, I've got to believe there will be some definite improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoc
    If we address the title of this thread, ie the suggestion that the current D is as bad as that of 2000, HU really does put a lot in perspective. Many of us have been talking a lot about it without actually looking at the facts and figures.

We have the same players as last year, with a few nice additions, so we're no worse. We're in our second season of Haslett's system so we can only get better at executing it.

We can't expect miracles from Linehan and co. They inherited a very poor D and have improved it a lot in just a year. Last years D was hugely improved, especially in the secondary, over the D of 2005.

We could really do with a big DT but there's none available in FA. All we can do at the moment is hope for a good draft and perhaps for some june 1st cuts that the Rams could sign(though that's noy very likely).

Overall the team is in a much better position than it was this time last year.there's no point moaning over what we can't change. Until the draft there's not going to be any difference makers the Rams can sign on D, so we'll just have to live with it and hope for an improvement from the guys we have now.
    You make some very good points here, although statistically there really was not much improvement in the D from 2005 to 2006, with the rush defense actually getting worse (136.1 yards per game allowed in 2005 to 145.4 in 2006). Again, I think a lot of the problems were due to injuries and inexperience and as you noted, when you look at all the factors, the team is in a much better position now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I'm not so sure about this HUb. Last years D was plagued by injuries that never let any continuity or cohesiveness develop, plus guys like Hill and Adeyanju had to try and learn amidst the chaos. If we can stay relatively healthy, I've got to believe there will be some definite improvement.
    Exactly, Mike!!! Which furthers my point that our offense does not have to put up the astronomical amount of points per game that some are claiming. I would say this offense is improved upon last years version. Last year's offense put up 22.9 ppg, but 31 ppg over the last quarter of the season. If the offense can extend its play from the end of last season to this season, we're a playoff team today.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

That same defense, well mostly, that went to the Super Bowl in 99 turned out to be that bad in 2000.

My point is that this defense has less talent on it and the fact that it was torched so terribly by the run sets it up to be that type of defense this year.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    That same defense, well mostly, that went to the Super Bowl in 99 turned out to be that bad in 2000.

My point is that this defense has less talent on it and the fact that it was torched so terribly by the run sets it up to be that type of defense this year.
    You may very well be right Tx, but I want to see what they can do as healthy unit with a year of experience under Haslett. Remember, last year Kennedy played most of the season with one hand, Pisa with one arm, Brown with one foot, Fisher with multiple leg and arm problems while Hargrove played most of his time with half a brain.

Maybe I'm naive, but I've got to believe things will be better this year and defense 2007 will not equal defense 2000.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You may very well be right Tx, but I want to see what they can do as healthy unit with a year of experience under Haslett. Remember, last year Kennedy played most of the season with one hand, Pisa with one arm, Brown with one foot, Fisher with multiple leg and arm problems while Hargrove played most of his time with half a brain.

Maybe I'm naive, but I've got to believe things will be better this year and defense 2007 will not equal defense 2000.
    Nice one Mike...

I am looking forward to this year. This team has a lot of momentum going from the end of last season. Le's see if we can make a couple tweaks and do even better.
    This space for rent...

Krames41 is offline Registered User

This defense can't get worse. Any upgrade at defensive end is better then Hargrove. The secondary is fine. We need a defensive tackle, and a strong side linebacker. We've secured all offensive positions for the next couple of years (because you know they won't let Bulger or Jackson leave the season without a contract). We can focus our next two years of drafting on fixing the defense. Look for nothing but improvement from here on further.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234