Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Defense is Already Better

Here's how I see it.

1. The defense has not lost anyone important (Coakley, T.Fisher).

2. The team has added a player who has demonstrated pass rush ability (J.Hall).

3. The team has added a LB who can play all three spots and is a good tackler (C.Draft).

4. The team has only two key defenders who are clearly on the downside of their careers (L.Glover, C.Chavous).

5. The team has (at least) seven potentially key defenders who have three or fewer years experience and are therefore on the upside of their careers (V.Adeyanju, C.Wroten, B.Chillar, J.Alson, T.Hill, R.Bartell, O.J.Atogwe).

Add to that the likelihood that the Rams will take a defender with the 13th pick in the draft (and, quite possibly, their second round pick as well), and there is reason for optimism.

Don't get me wrong (I'm sure some will do so anyway), I'm NOT saying the defense has been fixed.

I'm just saying that the Rams defense has improved.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: The Defense is Already Better

Are you starting your happy dance for the 2007 season already Avenger? I think you found those rose colored glasses again. I am not sure I am ready for the positive thoughts.

I am happy that Fisher is gone. He drove me nuts last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's how I see it.

3. The team has added a LB who can play all three spots and is a good tackler (C.Draft).

4. The team has only two key defenders who are clearly on the downside of their careers (L.Glover, C.Chavous).

5. The team has (at least) seven potentially key defenders who have three or fewer years experience and are therefore on the upside of their careers (V.Adeyanju, C.Wroten, B.Chillar, J.Alson, T.Hill, R.Bartell, O.J.Atogwe).

Add to that the likelihood that the Rams will take a defender with the 13th pick in the draft (and, quite possibly, their second round pick as well), and there is reason for optimism.

Don't get me wrong (I'm sure some will do so anyway), I'm NOT saying the defense has been fixed.

Are you willing to stand by this utterly outrageous piece of optimism ... no matter what ??

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Add health and another year of experience to the equation and I don't know how the defense can NOT be improved. Things are going to be better in 2007 without a doubt.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I agree we have improved, but any one of the top ten college offenses would've given us fits last year. So I take this improvement with a grain of salt.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

My friend, bask in your optimistic glory.

We all need to, methinks.

I wholeheatedly agree with your POV.

general counsel is offline Registered User

More cause for seeing the glass half full.

The players have a full year of the haslett system under their belts.
    haslett now has full familiarity with the players, knows exactly what they can and cant do.
    spoon has a full year of experience in the middle.
    Pisa should come back healthy.
    Kennedy is in a contract year. If he is EVER going to motivate, its right now, although world peace is certainly a possibility as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I will stand by my statements made here, no matter what.

There is actually one other factor I didn't mention: sometimes, the best defense is a good offense.

The Rams will have an offense in 2007 that can grind the ball with Jackson, and should be better in the Red Zone with the additions of Bennett and McMichael.

There is a domino effect that occurs (we saw in, particularly, in 1999) when an offense can score early and often. The opposing team is forced to abandon the running game, which allows the defense to pin their ears back and go after the QB with abandon.

Again, I still see room for improvement, but I also see improvement that has already occurred.

JRoc is offline Registered User

I agree with everything you said, Av. The D will no doubt be improved over last year. A lot of people seem to be raising the alarm when all we've done is improve on last season. With a year of Haslett's system under their belts they should perform better this season. The only really pressing need is for a DT which can hopefully be acquired in the draft.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Coming from one of the founding members of S.L.O.P. Iím not sure what to think of this. Can this head coach improve this team? Offensive on paper might just be the best we have seen in the last few years and now the D getting better?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Coming from one of the founding members of S.L.O.P. Iím not sure what to think of this. Can this head coach improve this team? Offensive on paper might just be the best we have seen in the last few years and now the D getting better?
    Its a fair question.

At this point, I am, quite frankly, more impressed with Linehan's offseason work than his game day work.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I wouldn't necessarily say they are better.....yet. Potentially, they can't be any worse.

Hall is someone I don't have much hope for. His stats were severly skewed last year. Draft is 31....aging vet in the NFL.

What will help the Rams this year is that fast start offensively. That's why I was wanting Clements. If the Rams can build a lead (like Martz) then that forces the opposition to abandon the run which plays right into the Rams hands as we are terrible against the run.

I hope your optimism is a sign of the future, but I'll stay right here on Pessimistic Avenue until I see for myself that this defense can actually improve from last year.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

TX I'm there with you, until this team plugs the gapping hole in the middle of the defensive front & gets a consistent push from the outside by someone other than Little, 2007 will be a repeat of 2006. I just pray that we get what we need in the draft, A bull of a nose tackle

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's how I see it.

AV,

Your right on the " MONEY" $$$$$ !!!!

As I'm reading the responses/posts under this thread I'm having a real hard time comprehending where the pessimism is coming from?!

"OUR" team was 8-8 last season, just missed the playoffs. 2 of our losses (to the Seahawks) were very winnable games. Without any changes or additions/subtractions we are close. The 2nd season under the new coaching staff will bring improvement on it's own. Can you say PLAYOFFS?

So far this off-season:

Offense- Improved
    Defense- Improved
    Special Teams- Improved

I'm not saying all the holes are filled but we have "IMPROVED" in all areas. With more improvements coming(DRAFT).

What more could we ask for?

Yours truly, the head scratching OPTIMIST!

:r :l

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why the pessimism? Because all the defense had to do last year was make a few stops and the Rams are in the playoffs. I mean c'mon, less than 2 minutes left at home against the Seahawks and that defense let them get into field goal range?

Then, during the Bears game we let not one but TWO returns for TD's. TWO.

And we are improved because we signed Minor and Johnson on special teams? I'm not convinced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast