RamWraith is offline Registered User

Defense does its part

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Oct. 22 2007

SEATTLE — On their first series Sunday, the Seattle Seahawks rolled through the
    Rams for 71 yards on 11 plays and a touchdown. Over the next 52 minutes 20
    seconds, the Seahawks tacked on only 208 additional yards.

"We kind of settled in and got comfortable," tackle Adam Carriker said. "We
    played pretty well. But obviously not well enough to win."

Despite putting together one of their stoutest defensive efforts of the season,
    the Rams sunk to a franchise-worst 0-7 with a 33-6 defeat at Qwest Field.

"The score speaks for itself," linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa said. "As a defense,
    your job is to prevent scores. So you can say, 'Well, they didn't have a
    100-yard rusher, they didn't go over 300 (total) yards.' But they got 33
    points, and that's the name of the game: who has the most points at the end."

With the Rams garnering scant points of their own — just three field goals over
    the last two weeks — the defense's task is heightened. "Anytime we're out
    there, there's pressure," cornerback Tye Hill said. "We all get paid to do a
    job."

Part of the defense's job was to contain running back Shaun Alexander, who had
    topped 100 yards in each of his last five games vs. the Rams. It did that:
    Alexander mustered just 47 yards on 19 carries, a meager 2.5 yards per try.

Part of the defense's job was to keep the Seahawks under 300 yards. It did
    that: Seattle had 289, the third-lowest total by a Rams opponent this season.

"The defense stepped up and played," tight end Randy McMichael said. "We
    didn't. Offensively, we stunk up the football field."

The Rams committed five turnovers — three interceptions and two fumbles — and
    the Seahawks feasted on short fields. Their longest scoring march after that
    first series was 52 yards, for a field goal. They collected points on "drives"
    of minus-6, 14, 19 and 38 yards. Seattle also scored on a 91-yard kickoff
    return by Nate Burleson to open the second half.

"I think the defense is making a lot of improvement," coach Scott Linehan said.
    "It hasn't showed up in our record, and that's unfortunate."

A week ago, the Rams yielded just 264 yards in Baltimore. But the Ravens
    capitalized on six turnovers and cruised 22-3. Because of injuries and a
    suspension, the Rams' 11 defensive starters going into the season hadn't been
    on the field together all year until Sunday.

"It felt good; we're a good 'D,'" Tinoisamoa said. "But it is a bunch of guys
    coming back in. We've got to get used to playing with each other again."

With a stop by linebacker Will Witherspoon on fourth-and-inches late in the
    first quarter, the defense returned the ball to the offense at the Seattle
    48-yard line.

"We've got a lot of pride on defense, and we've got a lot of guys that can play
    football," safety Corey Chavous said. "We're going to try to do whatever we can
    to either stop them or get the ball back. That's what we expect of ourselves."

Jeff Wilkins booted a 38-yard field on that possession that made it 7-3. But
    for the third time this season, the offense failed to produce a touchdown.

Still, no one was pointing fingers at the other side of the locker room.

"All around, there were mistakes made, things that cost us," said Witherspoon,
    who was credited with a game-high 13 tackles in the unofficial press box stats.
    "So we can't put it all on the offense, can't put it all on the special teams,
    can't put it all on the defense."

Added Hill: "We've just got to find a way to win as a team."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Defense does its part

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Oct. 22 2007

SEATTLE:

"All around, there were mistakes made, things that cost us," said Witherspoon,
    who was credited with a game-high 13 tackles in the unofficial press box stats.
    "So we can't put it all on the offense, can't put it all on the special teams,
    can't put it all on the defense."

Added Hill: "We've just got to find a way to win as a team."
    Enough already just win a game will ya!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams committed five turnovers — three interceptions and two fumbles — and
    the Seahawks feasted on short fields. Their longest scoring march after that
    first series was 52 yards, for a field goal. They collected points on "drives"
    of minus-6, 14, 19 and 38 yards. Seattle also scored on a 91-yard kickoff
    return by Nate Burleson to open the second half.
    I want everyone to take a loooooooooong, haaaaaaaard look at that quote. No defense in the world will keep points off the board when given short fields over and over and over again.

Look at it!!! Look at it!!! Four scoring drives with an average of 16 yards!!!

Put the 52 yard drive for FG on their shoulders if you want, but when a defense holds an offense to 16 yards per drive, they have done their job!!!

Man, this offense if freakin' killing me!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Yet I've had to reply to about 5 posters this morning who are still adamant that our defense sucks and isn't worth watching. Is that Bernie making all those posts?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I want everyone to take a loooooooooong, haaaaaaaard look at that quote. No defense in the world will keep points off the board when given short fields over and over and over again.

Look at it!!! Look at it!!! Four scoring drives with an average of 16 yards!!!

Put the 52 yard drive for FG on their shoulders if you want, but when a defense holds an offense to 16 yards per drive, they have done their job!!!

Man, this offense if freakin' killing me!!!
    For the people who think the D is bad, they really need to look at this and understand that the D is playing very well for the situtations they are put in over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

silentwolf is offline Registered User

I agree that the defense is tackling better and playing better then they have in a long time. They do play with alot more spark than the offense. I also agree they have been doing well in getting fumbles and getting the offense a chance.

The thing thet gets me is that i see alot of improvement needs to be made before i go calling this a "great defense". Lets puts things into perspective for example, honestly we really havent faced really good teams this year except Dallas and Carolina. Carolina i thought the defense played o.k. . But they were still able to run the ball down our throats. No one can honestly say any team in our division that we have played is good can they? Then next is TB and the Ravens not what i would call offensive powerhouses. That leaves us with Dallas a good offensive team and they lit us up both with passing and rushing.

This defense needs more work it may be improving but it is a still far away from being a powerhouse. I would also like too see improvement with interceptions. We only have 5 for the year and no touchdowns. I see potential but i wouldnt get to excited until we start showing consistent results against good teams.

I understand about field position and the offense problems not helping the defense. But i still see holes that need to be addressed. I am not saying there bad or anything just expressing my caution of not getting too excited about the defense just yet.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Nobody is saying it's a "great defense." It's greatly improved and a nice surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Nobody is saying it's a "great defense." It's greatly improved and a nice surprise.
    Absolutely. After what we had last year, I'm thrilled with the way they are playing. That stop on 4th and 2 inches was especially gratifying. I can only imagine what they would look like not having to play on a short field most of the time.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I see potential but i wouldnt get to excited until we start showing consistent results against good teams.
    But you have to look deeper than that. It's not just about playing good offenses or bad offenses.....it's about how our team played the opponent compared to how other teams played that opponent. In another thread, I posted stats showing that 4 of the first 5 games, the Defense allowed the opponent more yards than they averaged. Bad thing.

However, in each of the last two games, they held the opposing offense to less than their average. Good thing.

Response: But HUbison, the Ravens' and Hawks' offenses haven't been that good. That doesn't make our defense good, does it?

It doesn't matter how good or bad the opposing offense is, it only matters how the Rams D compared to the other D's that offense has faced.

So with that concept in place, the D has most definitely been improved over the last two games.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Just because Arizona got 390 yards against us doesn't mean we didn't play a great defense game against them. Their QB's had a combined QB rating of 60.5 and they averaged 3.3 YPC. What more do you want?