Results 1 to 2 of 2
-09-27-2004 #1general counsel Guest
The defense-leonard little and marmie
Personally, i think blaming marmie is wrong. I respect those that have a different view, but i ask the following.
1) Leonard Little is not the same player. I wont speculate on why, but he just isnt. He was our #1 playmaker on defense last year, created all sorts of matchup problems, and helped force turnovers. If you didnt know he was a first team all pro, would you have any clue that he was supposed to be a star?
2) Our secondary is decimated by injuries. Is this marmies fault? We have safeties on the field that werent even on the team a week ago.
3) Did marmie drop the INT in the end zone that hit aeneas williams in the hands and would have completely changed the game?
4) Is marmie responsible for the worst special teams coverage in the nfl, giving up huge chunks of field position on every change of possession.
5) Is marmie responsible for how thin we are at linebacker? Is he responsible for the fact that PISA, god bless him, looks like he needs a seeing eye dog on pass coverage? Maybe he can help pisa develop, but not overnight.
6) Did marmie run into the kicker on what amounted to a turnover after an actual stop by the defense?
7) I agree with those that say keep a weak defense off the field with more runs on offense, but our offense was good enough to win that game. Bottom line is we were ahead with 24 seconds left and if you cant hold them under those circumstances you dont deserve to win anything. Nice of the fans to hang around and make some noise, i guess a bunch of the people in the lower decks were heading for the cardinals game.
7) I am not defending the defense, it was one of the most pathetic ram performances i have ever seen on defense in a competitive game. In 2000 we brought back bud carson, the architect of the steel curtain and it didnt help much because the players werent good enough. Think execution guys, this defense tackles poorly and it just is too banged up and not talented enough. This is not an excuse and i agree that marmie could be more aggressive, but calling for him to be fired and thinking that it is going to solve the problem just seems like an emotional overeaction to me. Personally, i think the defense was terrible in the detroit and carolina games last year and i blame that on the players more than lovie, so i am not going to use a double standard now and all of a sudden blame it on the coordinator.
ramming speed to all
Re: The Marmot DefenseOriginally Posted by GeneralBarristerOrSolicitor
Since then, add to those games you cited the 2001 SB when "one last stop" was required, the D has not responded well to pressure-packed career-defining moments. I agree that the coordinators are not THE problem. But something is.