sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This Defense needs HELP

I don't understand this play right here. The Panthers are knocking on our red-zone, it's 3rd and 11 with 2:00 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter, why is our best press cover corner (Trumaine Johnson) playing 10 yards off?

This Defense needs HELP-gtdxhfy.jpg *CLICK TO ENLARGE*

Janoris is clearly in the face of his guy ready to play press, but Tru is facing off against Ted Ginn and has given him an eternity of space. I realize there is a slot WR on that side of the field but why are you giving him such a cushion? He's not going to beat you deep BECAUSE THERE IS NOWHERE TO GO...

It's play like this that have left us with 0 hope, especially after the news with Sam. Either Tim Walton needs to go or we gotta start picking apart some things. To me, it's a bit concerning that once the addition of Tim Walton happened Janoris is struggling, Finnegan has had a HORRIBLE year, and Tru hasn't done much to be noted either.

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: This Defense needs HELP

I'm convinced we're playing off in an effort to help out our safeties, who can use all the help they can get. Laurinaitis drops back a lot too, similar to a Tampa 2 scheme designed to reduce the threat of the big play.

While this wasn't a deep threat scenario, they obviously thought that there was a possibility of Ginn making a break into the end zone for a score. Steve Smith had been catching mostly underneath throws all day, so Jenkins was locked in on him to try and prevent those.

We prevented a couple of touchdowns in the redzone yesterday and our staff must have been confident in our ability to keep them out. Our defense has had it's share of problems, but it must be a necessary trade off to avoid getting torched week in and week out.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

I saw that same play and was wondering the same thing (i wasnt really wondering, i was yelling) This is what i see every week and its beginning to make me wanna .....wonder. D coordinator has to go no question about it. I mean how did we fall so far backwards with this Defense. No pressure, pass coverage and run defense.

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    I saw that same play and was wondering the same thing (i wasnt really wondering, i was yelling) This is what i see every week and its beginning to make me wanna .....wonder. D coordinator has to go no question about it. I mean how did we fall so far backwards with this Defense. No pressure, pass coverage and run defense.
    Exactly. Every week you see our guys playing 10 yards of the receivers. Even when there is a third and 5 or 6 yards, they are giving them 10 right off the bat and making it easy for them. How do you expect to get any three and outs when your giving them the first down on every play?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

oh Rob Ryan where arte thou???

Tim Walton sucked with the Lions last season and sucks this season.