LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Defense playing decent, but offense?

We have been getting it done on offense, but those red zone stops for AZ causes concern. In your opinion what has to be done to score more points with the current offense we have or is it even capable of scoring more points?

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Defense playing decent, but offense?

Utilize more trick plays in the red zone rather than the typical Jackson Smash or short pass, we need to utilize Danny on the run or have him run those similar crisp routes that are little but put points on the board. Darby is a reliable redzone runner with his small frame but other teams are most likely aware of his utilization.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The way I feel about it is that what the Rams offense is truly lacking is a noted red-zone option in the passing game. It's part of the reason why I'm not really sure I buy into the idea that the Rams are in dire need of a 'deep threat' at WR this offseason. Bradford and his band of merry misfits have more or less been able to find a way to dink and dunk their way down the field against just about every opponent we've faced this year. Fans cry for a deep threat to stretch the field, and I think it's safe to say that if you're looking strictly for a receiver who can get deep, we have two (Avery, DX) under contract through 2011.

The problem that I have with this idea is that you can't go deep from ten yards out. What good does Avery's speed do us on a third and goal from the four? The bigger question at play is this: can he get open? Same story for Alexander. In my opinion, what we're really missing is a physical presence in the red zone. An Antonio Gates or a Dallas Clark who find ways to get open. Terrell Owens or Randy Moss or Torry Holy in their prime. It's convenient that Holt, Owens and Moss were all great deep route runners in their time, but the crux of the matter is that they all had the physicality to find a way to get open in the red zone.

On the current roster, it's pretty apparent that Bradford to Amendola has become our poor man's version of Tom Brady to Wes Welker this year. As great as Welker is, and as much yardage as he gains for the Patriots, the bottom line is that you won't find him hitting paydirt too often. His shiftiness is best put to use in the open field. In the red zone for the past season, it's been Brady to Gronkowski and Brady to Hernandez for the most part. On our side, when he's been healthy, Illinois Mike Hoomawanui has done his bit to be counted in the red zone. But he's been injured for a solid part of this season and I, for one, wouldn't be opposed to jumping all over a Vernon Davis if one fell into our laps in the draft or in Free Agency.

I think that the priority this offseason, regardless of labels like 'deep threat' or 'slot guy', will be to get Bradford a big, physical target in the Red Zone. That will open up all kinds of things for Amendola and also players like Illinois Mike next year. Get Bradford a best buddy in the red zone. The points will take care of themselves.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Its seemed to me that using the shotgun down inside the 10 could really work well for us. With the shotgun, you give Bradford a better look of his options, as well as give him the option to scramble if he needs to. If the defense lays off of the LOS, Sam can simply give SJ39 the ball on a draw play. (See: SD game) On the flip side, if teams still try to stack the line on us, it just makes it that much easier for Amendola or someone else to find a safe spot to get open in. Also, I'd like to see a jump ball or two for DX. I believe we tried one during the Arizona game, but the ball was slightly off target. This guy is 6'5" and has a 40+ inch vertical. Let's let him make a play.