Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rip32 Guest

Defensive Changes

On defense we just are not making plays,no turnovers again last night so is it not just common sense to change
    some things(at this point we should try anything)such as:split time between furrey and Atogwe at least get OJ
    in the game he was a playmaker in college maybe he can give us a spark.
    Put Archuleta back to linebacker and play Carter at safety he was the starter in preseason anyway so give him his chance and give Bartell some time at corner,the only way these players will become impact players for us is with some live playing time.
    Its becoming hard to watch when the defence is on the field(126 points in 3 games allowed by a defence is pathetic)its time for some changes.

P.S. Whos the genius who decided to put manumaleuna on freeney one on one on the Jackson fumble(good call):tut :tut

ramhard is offline Registered User

Manu of Freeney

Freeney was backside on that play. The play is supposed to go right and develop faster than Freeney could get there from the far left. Jackson delayed and Freeney got there. Not a big brain cramp by the scheme, just too much light feet by Jackson. At worse it should have been a 3-4 yard gain, the hit wasn't anything amazing.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Rip32
    On defense we just are not making plays,no turnovers again last night so is it not just common sense to change
    some things(at this point we should try anything)such as:split time between furrey and Atogwe at least get OJ
    in the game he was a playmaker in college maybe he can give us a spark.
    Uhh you must have missed when Mike Furrey raced down the field on special teams and knocked the hell out of Rhodes and recovered the fumble.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -10-19-2005 at 01:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think Furrey passed a test last night. I was not disappointed in his play at all.

You want to look somewhere, peek at the LB's.

RamsFan16 Guest

Yea. Arch at LB would be alot better than Coakley there. Coakley isn't doing anything. Jeeze I hope we make a trade to improve our D by the end of the deadline

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

***WARNING SPECULATIVE SUGGESTION***

Maybe the Rams should think about changing to the 3-4 scheme and possibly trading a DL for another LB.

Pickett could probably play NT with a combo of Kennedy/D-Lew/Jackson/Green on the outside.

Move Little to LB. I think he could play either inside or out. Possibly move Green to an outside LB let him play down and pass rush. Trade Hargrove.

Rip32 Guest

Uhh you must have missed when Mike Furrey raced down the field on special teams and knocked the hell out of Rhodes and recovered the fumble.
    That turnover was on a kick return I was talking about the D

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Put Archuleta back to linebacker and play Carter at safety he was the starter in preseason anyway so give him his chance and give Bartell some time at corner,the only way these players will become impact players for us is with some live playing time.
    Since Archuleta has completely forgotten how to tackle, I'm not sure he'd be suited at LB.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

That turnover was on a kick return I was talking about the D
    Well Furrey plays on D too :tongue: LOL

I get what you are saying. We did technically get a turnover stolen from us on that Edge fumble, when Manning went in and made the call for the ref.

But yes overall we need to create more turnovers EVERYWHERE.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -10-19-2005 at 02:02 AM.
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    ***WARNING SPECULATIVE SUGGESTION***

Maybe the Rams should think about changing to the 3-4 scheme and possibly trading a DL for another LB.

Pickett could probably play NT with a combo of Kennedy/D-Lew/Jackson/Green on the outside.

Move Little to LB. I think he could play either inside or out. Possibly move Green to an outside LB let him play down and pass rush. Trade Hargrove.

This may not be a bad idea it would help in pass coverage having the 3 4. Also our DEs sometimes get out of position on run plays and that in turn makes it easier to block them and allows bigger runs. With Little and three other LBs back there it would be hard for anyone to get very many yards rushing. In some passing situations Little could still rush the passer but now you could move him around and bring him from different angles. Ferter would you like the D coordinators position oh wait you are not inside MM circle of trust.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-18-2005 at 10:22 PM.

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

I think he was referring to the defense itself, but you're right about Furrey. The whole da**ned line should play like that.

sbramfan Guest

This is such the right idea. We don't even need to make a trade because our DE's are 'tweeners'...Little and Hargrove.

But it's probably not realistic to make this switch mid-season. I was trying to recommend this in the offseason because it seemed like a better use of the size/type of players this team has. Nowadays the 3-4 is so much better because you can disguise things a lot better. I wish Martz had brought in a LB's coach from a good 3-4 D, like the Stealers or Pats to be the Defensive Coordinator.

As for the Defense, Furry does OK at Free Safety, but how many "OK" players do we want on defense? We need playmaking Maniacs on defense. We have no playmakers on D. Furry is not a playmaker, he is a solid backup at Free Safety, which is impressive given the fact that he is not a safety, by trade....whereas OJ is. Give him a chance.

Arch can be a playmaker, but whatever Marmie has him doing in his scheme is not suited for him. Arch should only be in their for run packages, with 8 in the box. Otherwise, Carter needs to get out there and play I guarantee you it can only get better.

Seriously, this safety position could not get any worse. I don't see why anyone would hesitate to pull Arch and Furry and play these younger guys???? If it doesn't work, what did we lose? the game? That's going to happen anyway. I don't blame the Linebackers for the poor D vs. Indy. The Colts were smart enough to play 3 wide receivers from the 2nd quarter on. So the Rams had to have a smaller nickel type package in, which is why there had so many decent 1st down runs. That's just the Colts being the Colts. The holes on this defense start and end with the secondary.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Since Archuleta has completely forgotten how to tackle, I'm not sure he'd be suited at LB
    This sums it up, this is what he is good at, coming up and making big hits. All I see is him hitting air lately.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    This sums it up, this is what he is good at, coming up and making big hits. All I see is him hitting air lately.
    Arch has to be the Rodney Dangerfield of this team. Would anyone be interested to know that Arch is 2nd on this team in tackles (only two behind Pisa) and tied for 3rd in the NFC among DBs. He's on track for just a shade under 100 tackles this year...his best since '02 when he should have made his first Pro Bowl. And don't say he's dropped off lately....in Sept. (3 games) he had 18 tackles, this month (3 games) he's got 17.

You think our secondary stinks now?! Try it without Arch at SS.

P.S. I'm not specifically taking exception to Rambos post, it was just the closest one to quote. My point goes out to ALL the Anti-Archites.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sbramfan Guest

Would anyone be interested to know that Arch is 2nd on this team in tackles (only two behind Pisa) and tied for 3rd in the NFC among DBs
    wouldn't you expect your starting SS to have the second most tackles on defense? Behind the MLB?

In our case, not the MLB, but that's a whole nother story.

3rd in the NFC because opposing teams always have the ball and get more first downs vs. this defense so he can make more tackles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast